Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2005, 06:06 PM   #1

Hi all, DW & I are geeked; picking up the new TT (22') this w/e & have a quick ??
Even though I'll have crank-down stabilizers on all 4 corners of the trailer & will have the plastic wheel chocks in place, would I need the tandem tire chocks?
Someone told me the camper should be fine w/o them, others have insisted on the "wheel lock-chocks". Opinions, please.

'05 Fleetwood Mallard 180CK
ThunderRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2005, 06:06 PM   #2

Hi all, DW & I are geeked; picking up the new TT (22') this w/e & have a quick ??
Even though I'll have crank-down stabilizers on all 4 corners of the trailer & will have the plastic wheel chocks in place, would I need the tandem tire chocks?
Someone told me the camper should be fine w/o them, others have insisted on the "wheel lock-chocks". Opinions, please.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #3

Depends on what you are looking for: safety or stability. Chocks wil be safe, though someone could take them. We use the lock-chocks that wedge between the tandem tires. The trailer is rock solid. Plus, they lock making them harder to take and makes it harder for someone to take the trailer. If you can, borrow a set and check out the difference as you walk around inside the trailer.

Bruce
Old 02-15-2005, 03:38 AM   #4

Nice to try with out and with.If You can that will make up Your mind.I think a friend or a fellow camper May let You test a set...John
Old 02-20-2005, 07:12 AM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
There are really two parts to your question. The first part is that wheel chocks should always be used for safety purposes. There is that "transition" period when you are disconnecting or connecting the trailer that the stabilizers are not down and can not assist in preventing the trailer from rolling.

The second part is a matter of comfort. After the stabilizers are down some trailers can still have a lot of "action". The tandem wheel chocks can significantly calm this action by, in essence, binding up the suspension system.

So chock those wheels for safety no matter what. Get the tandem locks to improve living comfort.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:46 PM   #6

Update: A buddy of mine made me a set of the wooden tandem chocks - seems solid to us. Thanks for the replies.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:12 AM   #7

How many chocks (between the wheels type) do you use? For a double axle trailers do you use one per side or just one on one side? On a triple, do you use two per side, two on one side, or one on one side? The reason I ask is that it seems to me that if you lock down one pair of tires it essentially locks that side down and prevents rocking. I'm I off base here?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:10 PM   #8

Our trailer has tandem axles. Locking one side removes about 80% of the rocking. Locking the second side makes a less noticeable difference.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #9

Thanks. I'll try one on one side first (on our just arrived at the dealer triple axle TT ), see how we like it and then and go from there.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:51 AM   #10

With triple axles, you can carry more stuff. More stuff mean more mass, meaning less chance of the trailer moving (Force depends on the amount of matter...) Your spouse will love you.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #11

Our Cougar TT has tandems. After we are positioned on our pad, and before we disconnect from the TV, we chock the back wheels (behind the tires) and the forward wheels (in front of wheels) Might seem like overkill, but that's they way I like to do it. Then after making sure we are level, the stabilizers come down and are snugged up. Then we use the metal chocks that expand between the tires (similar to scissor jacks) and put a pad lock on both to keep them from 'walking away'. We just leave the plastic wheel chocks in place. You can also made the locking wheel chocks with some wood and all-thread, couple washers and some nuts. We are pretty solid when all set up!

2004 Cougar 293 BHS
Camping Nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
(similar to scissor jacks)

In fact I use a scissor jack to lock the wheels. I had a purchased wheel lock but I 'misplaced' it on an outing and substituted a scissor jack. It works very well.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:55 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I bought a pair of Rotochoks they are made very well, and I just used them and are pleased with there ease of putting them on.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Moose, those Rotochocks look neat. Thanks for the site.

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote