Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #1

Tank issues !!

We are newby's to TT. We have a park model but it works like a home. We now have a TT in a small park, hooked up, we thought this would be the same, NO!

We do not know what we are doing with these tanks? We put drops in for the smell, but now we can see water underneath the tub drain and now toilet not working. HELP. We are watching videos and so confused.

Can we not just have the water and toilet go directly to the sewer line?
Do we have to do these hose things? dumping, we are parked permanently, not driving to dump stations. We don't want our neighbors to know how naive we are, HELP.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #2

Firstly, Welcome and it's ok to be a newbie.

If the TT is parked have you connected the sewer line to the drain and emptied out your black tank? Sounds like it's full.

When you connect to the drain, it's ok to have the Grey valve open but never have the black tank valve open until you need to drain.

If you haven't drained it before watch some videos on YouTube by the RVgeeks as this will help greatly.

Don't panic, ask for help and advice from anyone at your location who appears to be knowledgeable. It's ok to not be an expert in everything and there is no shame in learning something new.

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with TheMatrix except I would add you should close the gray tank valve maybe 24 hours before you dump your black tank. This should give you enough gray water to flush out any residuals from the hose after you dump the black tank. Also, never leave both valves open at the same time, you could introduce black matter into the gray tank.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I agree with TheMatrix except I would add you should close the gray tank valve maybe 24 hours before you dump your black tank. This should give you enough gray water to flush out any residuals from the hose after you dump the black tank. Also, never leave both valves open at the same time, you could introduce black matter into the gray tank.
Totally agree. Make sure the Grey valve is closed when u open the black valve.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I don't like closing the grey water tank to build up enough water to flush the black water from the plumbing. I did this once and got up in the middle of the night to get some water and didn't turn the water off all the way. Woke up to 2
" of water on the entire floor when the tank filled up and overflowed. Just wait until you need to flush then fill the grey tank and use it to clean the system.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Totally agree. Make sure the Grey valve is closed when u open the black valve.
I totally agree, make sure the Gray water tank is at least 2/3 full and open it last after the Black water tank is opened and drained, then close the Black water valve and open the Gray water tank, this flushes the build up in the hose.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhrst04 View Post
Do we have to do these hose things.
You have to hook up a drain system to drain the sewer tanks. The normal way with a travel trailer is to use a flexible sewer hose with the correct connections at each end. You could connect and disconnect the sewer hose each time you drain the tanks. But if your TT is not expected to move very often, then you can build a more permanent drain system using 3" PVC pipe.

There are two types of 3" PVC pipe, ordinary water pipe and sewer drain pipe. The sewer pipe uses gentle angles which requires longer pieces of angle pipe connectors. But you can probably use the shorter water pipe angles for your drain system. You definitely want to use the 90 angle water pipe connector to turn the drain pipe down into the sewer pipe in the ground, because the sewer pipe 90 angle connector would raise the drain pipe too high in the air.

Buy a 3" or 4" connector that will screw onto your main drain valve and connect to 3" PVC pipe. Plus a connector that will screw into the drain pipe in the ground and convert sewer pipe into that connector. You'll probably have to buy those pieces from an RV supply source. But the rest of the PVC pipe and angle connectors you can buy at any big-box hardware store/lumber yard such as Lowe's or Home Depot.

In addition to the PVC pipe, you'll also need 3" PVC pipe angles of 45 and 60 and 90 to route the pipe from your drain valve to the sewer dump. Don't try to bend the pipe, use the angle connectors to make it go the direction it needs to go to reach the sewer dump pipe. Then at the dump pipe end, screw in a 3" connector to transition from the pipe to the dump. (That 3" connector replaces the cap on the dump station.)

Don't use PVC pipe glue until after you have all the pieces cut and assembled to be sure it's going to work without straining any of the connections. In fact, mine isn't glued together at all. Just hand-tighten the pipe joints together as tight as they will go by hand. Be sure the pipe has a good downslope angle from the trailer to the sewer dump. If you don't have excellent eyeballs, then use a 4' carpenter's level to be sure you have a good slope from trailer all the way into the dump pipe.

I have an RV trailer set up that way outside my house, for elderly sick daughter to live in. That final 90 turn to go down into the sewer pipe means the rest of the pipe has to be up in the air some to have a good angle from trailer to dump. You may need to raise the trailer some to get it high enough off the ground to have a good angle for draining the trailer tanks.

Support the drain pipe at every connection with lengths of 2x6 or wider lumber, stacked up to the height required to support the pipe, with no more than a few feet between supports.

As others noted, the grey water valve can be left open except when draining the black water tank. The black water tank valve should stay closed except when draining the tank. You can look down into the toilet to see if the black water tank needs draining, but don't forget to look regularly.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhrst04 View Post
We do not know what we are doing with these tanks? We put drops in for the smell, but now we can see water underneath the tub drain and now toilet not working. HELP. We are watching videos and so confused.
The water you see in the tub drain is likely form the J pipe. It is designed to catch water and provide a gas proof seal so that the smell from the sewer tank doesn't enter where you are living. It's necessary. If you are, say, washing hands or dishes, and water comes up into the tub, then you have a full gray tank, and need to dump it. A little bit of water visible in the tub drain that stays there and doesn't come up is OK!

Quote:
Do we have to do these hose things? dumping, we are parked permanently, not driving to dump stations.
Yes, you can do that. Talk to the park management to see if that is allowed where you are parked, and have a plumber do the dirty work. The reason I suggest a plumber is they should be aware of any plumbing or building codes that would need to be followed.

Good luck!

Tags
tank