Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #15

Here's a rather dumb question...

Since we wont have water in our fresh tank, when we go to dumb the black tank at the dump, how do we wash the residual out?

Do dumps have water connections? Or do I just use the residual water left over from the city water connection? I disconnectetd out city water in the driveway a week or so ago and the faucets still have pressure in them. I'm assuming from the water left in the water heater
JaycoPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #16

Most dumps will have water to use for cleaning tanks ( don't use your potable water hose for this) carry a separate hose for cleaning. Dump black water first rinse that tank then dump grey water to rinse the hose. If your black tank isn't at least three fourths full add water thru the toilet before you dump to ensure good flow to carry solids out of the tank. It's not as gross as it sounds take your time after the first time it's a breeze.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #17

As said,make sure the tank is fairly full before you dump, black first , gray second. When i get home i give the tanks a good flushing with fresh water ,but i live in the boonies and a little land so a little discharge is not an issue.

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
These work real well to insure you got it clean.

EZ Coupler RV Sewer Clear Valve Hose Adapter Valterra | eBay
Old 09-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #19

FWIW If I wanted to test my tanks I would fill them all with fresh water before leaving. Maybe a couple of days before leaving. Watch for leaks and dump at my first chance after being on the road. Any campground should have a dump station. A bit of tainted fresh water is a less of a hazard than gallons of "pure" waste water. Better to be warned going in. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
As I recall from another thread you purchased the trailer on a deal from some friends or relatives. The trailer had been sitting for considerable time.

The fresh water tank should definitely be sanitized. As you are going to a campground with water you need not do it until you get back. Check on the internet how to sanitize your tank if the owners manual did not come with the unit.

I sanitize our tank yearly. We use our tank all of the time as we have an RO system we use for the entire trailer.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
These work real well to insure you got it clean.

EZ Coupler RV Sewer Clear Valve Hose Adapter Valterra | eBay
I will go one further, get this reverse flush fitting. I use it frequently. It takes about 15min to fill the tanki let it sit then empty. 2-3 flushes and my sensors are working again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BU...&robot_redir=1
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My dealer filled all the tanks and let it sit, then checked all the plumbing, then dumped it all. I store my TT with the fresh water full at my house, drain and refill every 2 months. Nice to know I have about 80 gal in case of earthquake.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #23
VTR

Concerning that leak, ours was like what you describe. It was actually coming from our shower P trap, check that too if leak is under bathroom.
VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #24

Well we've sprung a leak in our gray tank. Thankfully it's at the connection underneath.

Pic is upside down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_101848.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	74272  
JaycoPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #25

No Problem ! I had to replace the whole discharge neck on my black tank and a leak in my rear grey tank. After a lot of reserch i used a product call PC 7 epoxy putty to put a new abs fitting on the blacktankand repair the leak on the grey. Just clean and sand the whole are very well, the two part puty will not sag or run, but is easily spreadable. Been almost 2 yearsnow and still solid.

Don't let a little leak ( particularly in grey tank ) spoil any of you trip. We are heading out to Crooked River SP week after next for my three day birthday trip. We have never used the oven,so, i want my Birthday cake baked in the TT's oven .

Jim & Pat
Pics. go from when i got it to fitting installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF8868.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	544.1 KB
ID:	74363   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8646.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	534.5 KB
ID:	74364  

Name:	DSCF8702.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	538.8 KB
ID:	74366   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8700.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	535.6 KB
ID:	74371  

rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
My T/T is 2 months old. (its a 2015 made date 7/02/2014) 2nd T/T I have owned and the water has never had a very good taste in either one be it city or tank water. I did purchase a inline water filter for city water. Did not seem to work very well. I think there are other things to do when I use a inline filter just not quite sure.
Thanks
Mike
We put an pur water filter on our sink in the t/t. It works like a charm to filter our water.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank