Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #1

Question Tanks....

We will be making our first trip in the trailer on September 18th-21st. This coming weekend is our "get it ready" weekend. We'll be putting the linens in, getting all of our dishes etc, and stocking it with the necessities.

Until now, the extent of our plumbing testing has been the re-installation of the water heater, pressurization of the lines using the city water connection, and brief running of the faucets. We have not had any significant amounts of water/liquids in the tanks.

I dont think I can inspect the tanks visually from the underside of the trailer because there is a black tarp like material covering everything.

Whats the best way to test the tanks to make sure we dont have any leaks before we travel? Just fill them up and let it sit?

Also, aside from chemicals in the black water tank, is there anything else that we need to do to prepare them? a

I'm assuming its been at least a year or more since they were last used, IF they were used.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #2

Are you camping in a CG with full hook up? If you don't have water at your site and you need to fill the fresh water tank you will want to sanitize it.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #3

You got it !! Thats i would do, if leaking you should see it weeping thru the fabric underbelly liner , at least mine did. Are the drain valves holding ? You should/have to fully sanatize the fresh water tank and lines if you plan on using them.

Good Luck Jim
Old 09-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #4

We will have water/electricity, but no sewer connection. I'll have to dump Sunday when we leave the CG.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
You got it !! Thats i would do, if leaking you should see it weeping thru the fabric underbelly liner , at least mine did. Are the drain valves holding ? You should/have to fully sanatize the fresh water tank and lines if you plan on using them.

Good Luck Jim
That under belly material may contain a lot of leaked water before it appears. Simply punch small holes at any low points to check for leaks. You can seal the holes with Gorilla tape later.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
My T/T is 2 months old. (its a 2015 made date 7/02/2014) 2nd T/T I have owned and the water has never had a very good taste in either one be it city or tank water. I did purchase a inline water filter for city water. Did not seem to work very well. I think there are other things to do when I use a inline filter just not quite sure.
Thanks
Mike

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
My T/T is 2 months old. (its a 2015 made date 7/02/2014) 2nd T/T I have owned and the water has never had a very good taste in either one be it city or tank water. I did purchase a inline water filter for city water. Did not seem to work very well. I think there are other things to do when I use a inline filter just not quite sure.
Thanks
Mike
With a new trailer you should have received a owners manual. The manual should have instructions on sanitizing and flushing the water system.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #8

Good Point lynnmor-now i remember seeing the fabric wet and bowing down, punched a small hole and out it came !

Jim
Old 09-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #9

Gee's I hope there's no tank leaks....
Old 09-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
We will have water/electricity, but no sewer connection. I'll have to dump Sunday when we leave the CG.
You can save some towing weight by not filling up your fresh tank before towing, especially if you know you are going to have water/electrical hookups at your campsite. If you are worried about leaks, it wouldn't hurt to fill it and let it sit to see if any leaks show up.
2017 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 1500 Hemi 5.7 3:92 axle ratio
surferlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #11

At this point i would be much more concerned about the Black water tank and valve. If you go using it and either one is leaking, your going to have a mess/stink on your hands,and campgrounds don't like that !!! Test before you head out.

Jim
Old 09-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
At this point i would be much more concerned about the Black water tank and valve. If you go using it and either one is leaking, your going to have a mess/stink on your hands,and campgrounds don't like that !!! Test before you head out.

Jim

It all seems ok. No leaks and the valve works. Let's hope it works and nothing breaks. We are headed out on Thursday for our first trip!!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #13

Have a great first trip ! Will be looking forward to see how it all goes . Good Luck.

Jim & Pat
Old 09-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #14

Have fun. Take bottled water to drink and cook with. We travel with empty tanks but fill up or hookup when we get there. Several campgrounds...yuck...there water was awful...too chlorinated I think. Couldn't even use it to brush out teeth.

LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank