RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your answer might be found here.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #16

Well it's been a while since I replied to this post since living in Illinois it was time to winterize the trailer and put everything away... Now that it got warm again I took it out last week to get it back to par for the season. My brakes are still not engaging correctly. I have used the booster setting as well with no avail.... So I started troubleshooting after reading post after post... I manually adjusted the breaks, I made sure the wiring was not broken or corroded.. I then finally grabbed the volt meter and checked to make sure it was good which it was. So my last resort right now is just to keep driving it and applying the breaks manually with the controller and hopefully that will set.... Following the instructions listed above. I will keep you posted in case anyone is having the same issues... Once again this is still fairly new trailer, less than 300 miles on it.

robledjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your brake controller is a proportional brake controller. The brakes will not lock up unless under the hardest braking while in motion, like a panic stop. The controller will sense the amount of deceleration the tow vehicle is experiencing and apply the trailer brakes accordingly to the deceleration, not simply how hard the brakes are being applied or the full activation of the manual trailer brake switch.

They will not lock up unless you stomp the tow vehicle brake pedal as hard and as suddenly as you can at a decent speed, and even then they might not lock up because of how a proportional brake controller works. Brake lockup gives you less control of the vehicle, so brake lockup is not ideal in any situation I can think of. Without trailer brake ABS, you are likely doing just as well as you ever will right now as you have checked everything you should.

Simply grabbing a handful of manual brake controller switch and no tow vehicle braking from any speed will most likely not cause lockup.

Brake lockup using the manual switch is not a good test for proper functioning of a proportional trailer brake controller. My pickup came with a factory proportional trailer brake controller. My trailer brakes will not lock up no matter how hard I try. This is normal.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Your brake controller is a proportional brake controller. The brakes will not lock up unless under the hardest braking while in motion, like a panic stop. The controller will sense the amount of deceleration the tow vehicle is experiencing and apply the trailer brakes accordingly to the deceleration, not simply how hard the brakes are being applied or the full activation of the manual trailer brake switch.

They will not lock up unless you stomp the tow vehicle brake pedal as hard and as suddenly as you can at a decent speed, and even then they might not lock up because of how a proportional brake controller works. Brake lockup gives you less control of the vehicle, so brake lockup is not ideal in any situation I can think of. Without trailer brake ABS, you are likely doing just as well as you ever will right now as you have checked everything you should.

Simply grabbing a handful of manual brake controller switch and no tow vehicle braking from any speed will most likely not cause lockup.

Brake lockup using the manual switch is not a good test for proper functioning of a proportional trailer brake controller. My pickup came with a factory proportional trailer brake controller. My trailer brakes will not lock up no matter how hard I try. This is normal.
Thanks for the explanation... BTW I have a 2019 Wildwood x-lite 230bhxl.. I think someone mention to post what I had for better results... Anyway, I had read and also saw some videos that you adjust your settings to were the tires lock up on the trailer when fully applying the manual brakes on the controller, once they do that then you lower the setting a bit. In my case I feel no difference if I set the controller at 6.0 like the manual says or if I set it at 14 which is max.. Either setting I feel a light decrease in speed. Any thoughts?? Thanks for the help
Old 05-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's the brake controller working correctly.

The "brake lock up" way to check trailer brakes is an old way to adjust them. I check them by getting up to about 15 MPH on a road that has no other traffic on it, moving the brake controller switch to full and the trailer brakes begin slowing the vehicle down, then I start applying the tow vehicle brakes and I gauge how well it's stopping by how the braking effect feels compared to the brake pedal pressure. I have a 6,000 pound trailer, and I have my controller set to 6 (I have no idea if that really means 60% or exactly what, there is literally no documentation for my factory trailer brake controller).

With a proportional brake controller, if you need hard braking, you'll get it if you stand on the brake pedal.

I have never had a problem stopping the vehicle in a quick or panic type stop.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #20

OK... I see what you mean. I have tested at 25mph and with the setting at 14(max) I can feel the trailer slowing down the vehicle I just think there should be a difference between the two settings, 6 and 14. Like I mentioned before maybe I have to "break in" my brakes.?
Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
300 miles? They're fairly broken in, or close. Keep in mind that your trailer was likely driven from the factory to where you bought it, breaking in the brakes along the way.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #22

I've been told that you need a minimum of 600 miles but I figure that was a little bit too much.