Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Television in your TT...

I'm getting ready to mount a TV in my trailer. I was curious if it's advisable to take it when traveling? It's not a mega TV, 32" if memory serves me correctly (purchased it as a post XMas sale), just curious what others have done/do? (We have a Catalina TT...)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #2

Mine is not that big, but I have 2 mounted. 1 in the bedroom and 1 above the cab. I also have them secured with strap to keep them from moving. It would depend on the weight of the TV and what you have it mounted to.

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #3

One mounted in the TT, and I installed new FP LCD outside.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #4

I've got a 32" Samsung LED in my TT. Too big to fit flat against the wall when moving but it doesn't hurt a LED TV to flip it 90 degrees for travel. Flip it on end (the mounting assembly allows rotation), lock it into travel position and you're good to go. This allows me to have a larger TV fit into the same space as the smaller 23" OEM TV.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smaller is better for me. I have a 7" digital LCD that I place on our dining table to watch TV. We got it for about $20 on a clearance sale at CVS drug stores. When I looked for a link to post here I was amazed that amazon.com was selling it for $71:

Amazon.com: Digital Prism ATSC-710 7" Portable Handheld LCD TV with Built in ATSC/NTSC Tuner (Black): Electronics

We hook this up to a Dish Tailgator and we are all set with TV in the woods.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

Lots of TT's/5'ers have TV's in them. We have a 32" and it's mounted to the wall on a swing out bracket. Kinda floppy so I'm going to fasten some hooks to run some bungee cords around it to keep it from flopping. They all flop some, unless it's a rigid mount. If you don't mount it to the wall and just set it on a counter, then just lay it flat on the bed under the pillows. We traveled for quite a bit doing that. The front won't have the wagging that a rear does.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Just installed a TV wall mount with swing arm to the end of a cabinet facing the queen bed area (with the arm able to swing for viewing from sofa & dining table). Was afraid the cabinet would not hold the bracket (and TV) over time traveling so I cut a piece of 1/2" wood then glued inside the cabinet wall for the bracket screws to nest in. It sure feels secure to me.

Patsy

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #8

I swapped out my ~80# RCA flat screen for a ~14# 32" Samsung. Widthwise, it fit perfect in the surround, but had to add a 3" filler at the top.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #9

we have a 28dds catalina deluxe i mounted a 32 samsung led using the below mount I also took a laminated shelf cut to the width of the entertainment center I screwed the shelf in in multiple spots as i found that the whole opeing had a backer behind it. I then added the mount to the shelf. the tv is pretty solid when traveling but i still wanted extra insurance i put a couple eye hooks in behind tv and use a velco strap to hold tv tight

here is the mount i used
Level TV Wall Mount Fits 10-32" TVs - Walmart.com
Old 05-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #10

My 32" LED install was soooooo easy. I laid the surround on the floor, inserted the TV, measured and built these mounts out of angle aluminum and wood.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #11

Nice job Dunner!!! Thanks for all the responses. I have a mount, hoping it will work out. It's a lazy Sunday at my house today so might try to tackle the install this afternoon?!!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #12

my last tt had a swing arm bracket that the tech added a flat 2" metal bar along the back on the arm closest to the tv and a magnet screwed into the wall so the entire unit was held fast when not in use
Old 05-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #13

The hard part was getting the old 80# RCA out. Had a big friend help me. The surround was a snug fit and was easy to re-install.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #14

We have two lcd tvs in our MH. They are both retrofits from the old boxes and I have some work to do on finishing off the installations to make them look better.
We just started using the DISH tailgater this weekend and it is great! We get exactly the same tv as we do at home.