Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #1

Tell me things I need to know as a new RV'er

Hi, I am new to this. I just bought an old, cheap travel trailer (1999 Damon Corp. 27' Hornet), and don't know anything about it. I can't find a manual for it, and the man who sold it to me never pulled it (he had bought it used--as his first trailer-- at a campground and never moved it).

After getting it home, I read online that the Slide has a lock for transporting, but I didn't know about that (or even how do do it). So, this is the type of info I'm looking for--any operational or maintenance tips you can give me.

Thanks a million!

Tom
Karoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #2

First thing, check the age of the tires, they may still have lots of tread left, but be dry rotting from the inside out
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #3

1999 Vintage and stationary for YEARS....18 year old rig

New Brake assemblies....including wiring up to and umbilical cord
New wheel bearings
New tires

New propane cylinder high pressure side pigtails and new auto swap 2 stage LP Regulator.

Thorough cleaning of fridge/furnace/water heater propane burners/assemblies

As for manual......RV Mfg. ones are GENERIC and have very basic info. Useless in most cases.
Pen/paper n hand.
Go thru each component and write now BRAND/MODEL of each
Then sit down..go on line and search 'XXX/ZZZ' for Service Manual
IE: Atwood GC6A-3E water heater
Then download/print and place in 3 ring binder for your OWN specific manual
It will REALLY help you later on
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

Check the roof. Chances are the caulking around all the vents and pipes needs redone. Inspect the roof for any damage or holes. Inspect for any water damage. If planning on travelling at all, as stated check the dates on the tires. If older than about 7 years old, dont go far from home with them.Pull the wheels and repack or replace the wheel bearings. Possibly check yourself all the propane connections with soap and water, or better yet, have a gas service tech go over the entire thing and do a pressure test. Have him light the furnace, water heater, stove, and fridge to make sure everything is safe and working. Have him show you how to operate each one so you dont blow yourself up. Check the seals around the slide, as well as the topper awning if it has one. If it has jacks, they probably are seized from lack of use. Test your batteries and check the water level in each cell. If low add de-mineralized water to top them up. If older than five or six years old, they are probably close to needing to be replaced. Make sure you have enough vehicle to tow it properly. Make sure your hitch is rated for the weight of the trailer. If you are not familiar with other things like the awning, dropping the table ect ect ect., take it to a local campground for your first run. You can pick the other campers brains, and if anything isnt working properly, you are close to home and dont find out hundreds of miles away that something doesnt work. Good luck and happy camping.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
You might also check the propane bottles to be sure they meet current regulations. If the seller was living in it, they probably do, but better to find out before you're all packed up and stopping to fill the tanks on your way out of town...
Take some basic tools, a little electrical wire and some fittings just in case.
A lot of the physical side of things have been covered. On the mental side (depending on how much and what kind of camping you have done)... things will go wrong, stuff won't work or will quit working and/or you will unintentionally do something stupid... we all have... it's all part of the learning curve, be it a trailer, motorhome or even a tent... you'll get through it. Most other campers are happy to assist if there's a problem. Most of them have been there too at one time or another.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #6

Also, learn how to winterize your rv, if you are in or going to an area of freezing temps.
BOBNBONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #7

Think of it as a box with 73 different manufactures product in it. Just 73 smaller things to learn about/know limits.

Or an iPhone with 73 different apps, that all have their quirks.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #8

LOL Thanks!
Old 09-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #9

Thank you!
Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #10

Thank you!

Thanks, Everyone! Your advice is well-received.

Tom