Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #1

Terry Quantum Frame/Front End separation

Hey,
I’ve got a 2006 Terry Quantum 300fqs.
The floor under the bed is separating from the front wall. It has pulled away and separated from drivers side part of the bed frame and cabinet.
And there seems to be some frame damage underneath. A crossmember is pulled forward and some tears in the steel have begun. The battery frame is also cracking and coming apart.
I haven’t been driving irregularly. Maybe this can happen from pot holes? Anyone else experience anything like this before?
I am hoping insurance will cover the repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A32F6791-48B5-4B55-8DE3-C1C9DA270076.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	203701   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD829005-5FB1-4AB4-8091-68AAD48E7B27.jpg
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	203702  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1872BA64-7B27-49FC-B92F-CA1815B30048.jpg
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	203703   Click image for larger version

Name:	FAD4641C-FEA9-4736-8C70-6607862100E9.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	203704  

Nick74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry you're here with problems .

From the extent of the damage I'd guess that at some time, either the front cross member or , the black pipe that is the propane distribution under the RV , snagged on something while the trailer was being backed up, pushing the cross member forward , buckling it and starting this mess.
JMHO: If the insurance company will get involved at all ; on a 12 year old TT they will probably write it off.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. Sorry for the problems and good luck on finding a solution.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #4

Thanks for your input. Good point I kinda thought of that too. I haven’t noticed catching or snagging the underside on anything.
But we just bought it in Sept 2017 and have only used it a few times. The dealer claimed that they inspected the propane system.
I have seen some other threads about Fleetwood frames being poorly manufactured/under supported for similar model years.
Honestly even if insurance did write it off I wouldn’t be overly upset if I don’t have to pay. I’m just worried I’ll be into a repair for thousands of dollars.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #5

Holy smokes. If you backed over something that did that you would have known. Did you look under it when you bought it, if so you should have seen that. It's fixable but will be expensive if you pay someone. If your handy you can fix it yourself with common tools.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #6

I feel like I would remember seeing that,I did a pretty good look around when I bought it. I definitely didn’t notice the inside damage before.
You are right I trying to remember a specific pothole or time that i might have jolted it over something but I really haven’t been driving it hard or doing any off roading with it.
Step 1: ask the dealer to look at it I guess
Step 2: Inquire about the very low possibility of insurance covering this.
Step 3: if all else fails get the come along and welder going and hope that by sucking that cross-member back the wall will come back into place...
Old 05-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #7

I was thinking some kind of big C-Clamps to pull it back together then weld. Got to figure out how to torque the clamps tight enough.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry you're having problems.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #9

Wowzers! That is some kind of damage. From the pics, it appears that crossmember has been bent for some time, dirt/rust, nothing cleanly scratched we can see, and yes broken on the street side at the connection point.

I can't imagine what would have pushed/pulled hard enough to bend that member, that much, without tearing loose the pipe and electrical? You'd almost think a wrecker had secured chains to the cross-member lifted and towed the trailer...(but why would they do it that way?).

If you could just have seen me with my computer monitor rotated 90 degrees to the right to better see the picture. Ha!

If you just bought this last fall, it may not be worth the cost to fix it properly. I think I'd get insurance to take a look for sure.

If it's a keeper, consider renting a hydraulic spreader jack to straighten the cross-member front/rear, (maybe even pull it with a properly anchored "come-along" hand winch), have someone properly weld the cracks here/there. Mercy, I"m tired just thinking about it.

Good Luck either way.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #10

I agree it would be good to spread the correcting force evenly over the whole cross piece but I’m just trying to figure out what’s strong enough to hold that pressure. It might come down to a come along.

Im gunna have service department look at it at the dealer I bought it from but without warranty and it being a used unit I’m thinking it might come down to my expense or the insurance.
I can pull the cross member back and fix the cracks, and weld in stiffeners but I don’t know where the regular stresses of driving might spread if i stiffen something that wasn’t meant to be overly solid.
And then I still gotta hope the inside of the floor and wall for back into place so that I could re seal them.

Side note it is neat to see people commenting from so many different places.
Cheers
Nick
Fort St. John, British Columbia
Old 05-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #11

Part of me wants to think that it was there already and the floor just hadn't separated yet. I can't imagine clocking something good enough to do that and not noticing.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you even have full coverage insurance? I am thinking it would be kinda rare to have full coverage on an 11 year old used unit.

It does look like the cross bar was snagged on something but when is the question. If it doesn't ring a bell with you it may have been done before you bought it and just recently started sagging. There appears to be a small tear in the cross bar towards the right side in that picture, If the metal in the tear is clean that would suggest it is a recent tear.

keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame