Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #1

Question Testing for propane leaks.

I think I have a leak in my propane system on my 2011 Gulfstream travel trailer. Can I use soap and water in a spray bottle to check for leaks?

Thanks, Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
I think I have a leak in my propane system on my 2011 Gulfstream travel trailer. Can I use soap and water in a spray bottle to check for leaks?

Thanks, Bob
Sure. Try to find a soap that does not contain ammonia as ammonia will corrode brass. Your fittings are brass.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #3

I had the gas company replace my natural gas meter. When the work was done the gas employee used a spray bottle with soapy water. He saw bubbles and tighten the leaky fitting. Sprayed again and did not see bubbles and said he was done.

So I would say yes. But 1st, do you smell anything?

Good luck
Old 04-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Visit a 99 cent or Dollar Store and you will find bottles of Soap Bubbles we use to play with as children. I keep a bottle in my tool cabinet.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #5

Quote:

Thanks, Bob
Yes sure, but kid's bubble blowing solution works real great too.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #6

Double check with bubbles and liquid. Sometimes they are hard to find.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Visit a 99 cent or Dollar Store and you will find bottles of Soap Bubbles we use to play with as children. I keep a bottle in my tool cabinet.
You should check for gas leaks at the start of each season. Better to be safe than sorry.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We make our own soapy water by mixing one part dishwashing liquid soap such as Joy or Dawn to about 10 parts water. You don't need much, so maybe one tablespoon of soap and 10 tablespoons of water. Then use a very soft paintbrush and "paint" every joint with a good coat of soapy water. Then watch it for over a minute. If any new bubbles show up, you know that joint needs attention - probably just tighten it a bit, but it may require replacing the hose or pipe that terminates in that joint.

Don't skip any joints, even if they are way back up in the dark and hard to get to or see or reach to "paint".
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #9

This is what's happening now, I lite the stove burner and it lites for a few seconds and then burns out. I turn off the control knob and wait a minute and then lite the burner again and the same thing happens again. I think air is getting in line somewhere? I smelled some gas the other day across from the trailer in the yard. But not very strong. Smelled it once but not again.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #10

Exclamation

Quote:
This is what's happening now, I lite the stove burner and it lites for a few seconds and then burns out. I turn off the control knob and wait a minute and then lite the burner again and the same thing happens again. I think air is getting in line somewhere? I smelled some gas the other day across from the trailer in the yard. But not very strong. Smelled it once but not again.
You have a Regulator problem. If you are not familiar with gas fuelled systems, I strongly suggest you take the rig to a dealer or "Qualified" Propane Shop to have the system tested and repaired. If you can smell gas, there is a leak.
Very Dangerous.
Also, turn off the Propane Supply at the tank Immediately until it is fixed!!!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
You have a Regulator problem. If you are not familiar with gas fuelled systems, I strongly suggest you take the rig to a dealer or "Qualified" Propane Shop to have the system tested and repaired. If you can smell gas, there is a leak.
Very Dangerous.
Also, turn off the Propane Supply at the tank Immediately until it is fixed!!!!!
It is more likely that the high flow protection device in the propane bottle has tripped. Just close the gas valve for a few seconds, then open it very slowly and see if you get enough flow. If not, then get the regulator checked.

They tend to trip if you open the gas valve too fast after the pressure has been relieved in the piping.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #12

I've been having problems with my Regulator freezing up in the winter. I will take the regulator off and take to a dealer. Thanks for the information.

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #13

You guys use soap, but what about the spots you can't get to? Or don't test.
Use a manometer to find out if you have leaks first. THEN use bubbles to pinpoint it.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #14

When I built a house where I had to use a propane tank, I set up the plumbing in the side yard. The only place that leaked was the joint that would have been directly under the house. Glad I checked as it would have been very difficult to repair under the house.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, propane