Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wink Thank You and Next Question

First I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post on drive or mileage. After reading them we have all ready made changes to our 2020 trip in May and June. Next Question When from point A>>>B with no time line, do you , if staying at park, make reservations or cross your fingers and pull in and hope they have a spot.
100amp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #2

When I'm not in a hurry and want to stay in a park that night, I typically stop in the afternoon around 2:00 for a late lunch. While stopped, I look at about another two hours down the road for an RV park. I call them and make sure there is room and make a reservation if need be. I've never been too keen on showing up completely unexpected. There have been times when I called almost a dozen places before finding one with an available slot.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

We traveled FT for 7 yrs.
Usually just staying a week in one place.......some times 2 weeks
Travel was 250 miles MAX (leave at 10AM---set up having adult beverage by 3PM)

Majority of the time was W/O reservations unless required by specific CG we were using.
Holidays/Long Weekends/Destination Areas.......we made reservations
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've always made reservations. Sometimes more than a week ahead. Just feel more comfortable that way. When we were working I didn't want to waste time finding an alternative spot to stay if our first choice was full. We like certain amenities that you can't find everywhere.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #5

This will be a true adventure with twists and turns. I used to snowbird between Columbus Ohio and Crystal River Florida. About 950 miles. Too far for 1 day. I stayed in a rest area, stayed at a truck stop, stayed in a hotel, stayed in a campground. I liked the truck stop the least, staying in a hotel could get expensive, staying at a rest stop in the truck area was a little bit better than at a truck stop but you still hear truck diesel engines running. Both the truck stop and rest areas get full so you need to stop at either right around dark.

I liked staying in a campgound the best but that will cost $30 - $50/night. That seemed like too much to pull in and sleep then leave in the morning.

Now, I never stayed at Walmarts which is kinda an option. Depending on the area. I just did not want to risk getting kicked out.

Staying in a campground we always called about 2 or 3 hours ahead of time. Don't know how this would be done without a 4G tablet or smart phone and google maps.

Oh, make sure the none driver can use google maps.

Again, you can try the 4 ways to spend the night to see which ones you and family like.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
When I'm not in a hurry and want to stay in a park that night, I typically stop in the afternoon around 2:00 for a late lunch. While stopped, I look at about another two hours down the road for an RV park. I call them and make sure there is room and make a reservation if need be. I've never been too keen on showing up completely unexpected. There have been times when I called almost a dozen places before finding one with an available slot.
That's what we do also.
Download the Allstays app on your phone or tablet, or both. Worth every penny! Use the GPS co-ordinates to find the CG. Sometimes the address given is just the center of the zip code area!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #7

We finished a month long trip two weeks ago, staying 3 days max at each spot. Most were 1-2 nights. Made reservations for the 1st two weeks since we had definite plans those weeks. The last two weeks we winged it. Had zero issues. Using Google my wife found places to stay and called ahead to see if they had open spots.

Just got back from a week trip on the Oregon coast. Had 2 nights reserved to start, then winged it heading up the coast for 3 more nights.

Normally we only make reservations at the places we definite;y want to stay at. The rest of the time we go where we want.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In the months of summer if you just wing it, congrats. Traveling alone with two big dogs, I have a reservation for every night before I leave home. I know where I am going and I get there. I like to stay places for several nights, very seldom just one, prefer a week.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:04 PM   #9

I just ran 80 from pennsylvania to somewhere in wyoming. What an awful drive.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:01 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The only trips we've made without reservations were two for personal business. We we traveling cross country for both of them and just trying to get from one coast to the other as quickly as possible. No reservations, but most nights were spent at Cabela's, Wal-Mart and city or state parks right off the Interstates.

When traveling for pleasure, we always have reservations - for a few reasons. (1) I despise setting up after dark which is always a risk when we're looking for a place to land later in the day. (2) I am very picky about not just a campground, but campsites, too. We prefer spacious, more private and wooded sites, preferably with a view out our back window. By reserving early, I have time to review campgrounds and look at individual sites online, choosing ones that are the best fit for the way we like to travel. That type of early research is what allowed us to snag one of only a few sites that actually overlook Transept Canyon on the Grand Canyon's North Rim. (3) Because we favor State and National Park campgrounds, we've found we had to have reservations if we had any hope of getting into many of them, especially during the summer months. Our size can be a limiting factor, too, in those types of campgrounds, so booking early is often a necessity for us, no matter what time of year we're traveling. (4) When we traveled during the summers with our son and daughter (now young adults), the thought of not finding a safe place to stay with the kids at the end of a day worried me too much. Seriously. I enjoyed our days' travel adventures much more knowing we had a site of our choosing already waiting for us.

Everyone has different priorities, but that's one of the things I like about this forum - the many varied perspectives.

Have fun planning!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote