Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #1

The importance of checking the rig.

I'm in the habit of checking my trailer before and after a trip. This past weekend we took a short trip, about 60 miles round trip. While doing my post trip ispect and fix routine I found the plastic wiring support under my kitchen slide was torn and holding on by about 1/16" of plastic. If it had let go I think all the wiring and gas lines would gotten tangled in the wheels. That would have been a mess to fix. The thing is I checked this before we left. It's a common problem so I always look but it was fine before we left. I'm just glad we made it home before something bad happened. Now on with the fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0422.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	137515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0423.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	137516  

stormrider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

Good catch! Thanks for reminding us to be vigilant.
I caught an insulated waterline that had been pinched in the slide bundle similar to that.

Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

Seems like a lot of hoses and wires for just one plastic support to hold.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

It's the kitchen slide and you are right it is a lot. Too much.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #5

Good catch. That could have caused a lot of headaches. I think a metal bracket of some sort would be a good fix.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
Chief - Had you found it before the return trip; could you have temporarily held things together with just tie wraps to make it home? I am asking because this looks like something I'd like to be ready to deal with and I want to see if there is anything you'd recommend adding to the tool kit in order to "get by" until a proper repair could be made.

By the way, saw your repair with the L bracket on the other post; looked great; hope it did the trick. You take great pictures to illustrate what is going on; very helpful!
Old 08-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
Good catch. That could have caused a lot of headaches. I think a metal bracket of some sort would be a good fix.
Actually I did make a metal bracket that rotates around a bolt to relieve the stress on the plastic. I'm hoping it's going to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	137571  
Old 08-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierrie View Post
Chief - Had you found it before the return trip; could you have temporarily held things together with just tie wraps to make it home? I am asking because this looks like something I'd like to be ready to deal with and I want to see if there is anything you'd recommend adding to the tool kit in order to "get by" until a proper repair could be made.

By the way, saw your repair with the L bracket on the other post; looked great; hope it did the trick. You take great pictures to illustrate what is going on; very helpful!
I have been carrying some long very heavy duty wire ties, drill bits and a drill for this repair. That would have allowed me to make a temporary repair no matter where a break showed up by creating a hinge with the wire ties. You could also tie the bundle up just to get home. Another great thing to carry with you is Gorilla tape. That could also be very helpful in this instance. I probably carry to many tools with me but so far I've been able to fix everything that has broken on trips.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's a better fix than what I used to do with a door hinge, bolting it to both sides of the plastic. Our last fifth wheel (Redwood) they finally got wise and did something like you did.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote