Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #1

When our Military men and women left home to go to war, they left loved ones behind..

Most of us can only imagine what it feels like to be all alone or trying to be both father and mother to their children.

Trying to "hold on" for the sake of the children and then crying themselves to sleep only to wake up in the morning to find out that its not just a bad dream, they really are alone..

We as Americans must remember that it's not just the service member that needs our support..

I have had this "letter" since the early 1960s when I was in the Navy.. and thought it might be appropriate to bring it out again.. I don't know who the author was, but he hit the nail on the head with it..

************* The Military wife *********

She never signed a contract nor swore an oath that bound her to the military service, but she is. She moves from military base to military base whenever orders are issued ..... Yet, these orders never bear her name.

Neither civilian nor military member, her breed is a unique blend of both worlds, enjoying the benefits and the pitfalls of each, ..... She is the military wife.

She has probably lived in places like Korea, Germany, Alaska, Hawaii and Japan, .... And at least 5 of the fifty states, and chances are she has traveled many more.

Her wardrobe consist of out of fashion but practical clothes. The money she has to live on and support her family is never enough. Her children wear hand-me-down clothing and they eat a lot of hamburger helper. Her work day is sometimes longer than her husbands.
But she never complains .. Who would listen ?

Her world is a difficult world .... Torn between duty, home and country. She often misses out on the creature comforts that her non-military sisters enjoy. When those comforts do come, invariably the military will spirit her away from them in the blinking of an eye.

Her husband holds a 24 hour job, although most duty days are not that long. His obligations take him away from her and her children for as long as a week to several months and sometimes even longer. In his absence she becomes both mother and father, as well as head of household and disciplinarian.

Besides the usual shopping, cooking and the myriad of daily chores, she becomes the liaison between school, military, community and home.

The military wife is an extraordinary creature, deserving the same love, honor and respect as her military husband, but she rarely gets it... Instead she is exempted from the simple things like PTA, Little league, Scouting and social functions that other women take for granted. Not because she is disliked, but because she is unknown.

Isolated from family and home town friends, she is on her own, and when things go bad, there is no one to turn too ... Except You .................
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #2

When our Military men and women left home to go to war, they left loved ones behind..

Most of us can only imagine what it feels like to be all alone or trying to be both father and mother to their children.

Trying to "hold on" for the sake of the children and then crying themselves to sleep only to wake up in the morning to find out that its not just a bad dream, they really are alone..

We as Americans must remember that it's not just the service member that needs our support..

I have had this "letter" since the early 1960s when I was in the Navy.. and thought it might be appropriate to bring it out again.. I don't know who the author was, but he hit the nail on the head with it..

************* The Military wife *********

She never signed a contract nor swore an oath that bound her to the military service, but she is. She moves from military base to military base whenever orders are issued ..... Yet, these orders never bear her name.

Neither civilian nor military member, her breed is a unique blend of both worlds, enjoying the benefits and the pitfalls of each, ..... She is the military wife.

She has probably lived in places like Korea, Germany, Alaska, Hawaii and Japan, .... And at least 5 of the fifty states, and chances are she has traveled many more.

Her wardrobe consist of out of fashion but practical clothes. The money she has to live on and support her family is never enough. Her children wear hand-me-down clothing and they eat a lot of hamburger helper. Her work day is sometimes longer than her husbands.
But she never complains .. Who would listen ?

Her world is a difficult world .... Torn between duty, home and country. She often misses out on the creature comforts that her non-military sisters enjoy. When those comforts do come, invariably the military will spirit her away from them in the blinking of an eye.

Her husband holds a 24 hour job, although most duty days are not that long. His obligations take him away from her and her children for as long as a week to several months and sometimes even longer. In his absence she becomes both mother and father, as well as head of household and disciplinarian.

Besides the usual shopping, cooking and the myriad of daily chores, she becomes the liaison between school, military, community and home.

The military wife is an extraordinary creature, deserving the same love, honor and respect as her military husband, but she rarely gets it... Instead she is exempted from the simple things like PTA, Little league, Scouting and social functions that other women take for granted. Not because she is disliked, but because she is unknown.

Isolated from family and home town friends, she is on her own, and when things go bad, there is no one to turn too ... Except You .................
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:28 PM   #3

Good input. My wife was a Navy wife for 27 years and did an amazing job. Without her I would not have been as successful as I was. I would disappear for months at a time while she carried the ball at home.

Navy wives did an awsome job and are continuing to do so today.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote