Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2016, 07:58 AM   #1

The Sage RV'er

Hey all... new guy here. Looking for sage insight as I return to RVing.

I retired recently and looking forward to one of my bucket list trips to Alaska. I'm a previous owner of an RV some time ago, however I'm about to buy a used travel trailer for my 2 month Alaska trip next year. Although it's me and my buddy going to Alaska, I'm planning to travel throughout the US and Canada when my wife retires in two (2) years.

Right now the KISS rule applies as I look for a used-road worth trailer. I'm an experienced driver with a CDL A licence and my current tow vehicle is a 02' Ford Excursion Diesel 4x4. I'm looking to spend 10-12K or less but finding the right trailer is more important. Because I'll be "off road" some during my trip, I'm thinking 21'-23' is about right, but nothing less then 20.

So far I've looked at 10 used trailer with only 2 passing muster. One sold before I could make an offer and the other one is a 2007 Keystone RS. I've got my laser thermometer, volt meter and moisture tester which have proved very useful in finding what can not be seen with the naked eye.

Any sage advise on buying used and my Alaska trip is very appreciated. I've got the latest Milepost and I'm in the planning stages right now.

Thanks to all...

PS... I have a dual fuel LP/gas 3400W inverter generator

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm assuming you are in FL, but since you haven't made it possible for anyone to know for sure, I'll just assume it. Where you are can have a great deal to do with what is available to you.

If you can find an Arctic Fox or or other Northwoods Manufacturing brand in good shape, take a serious look at it.

I can't help you with anything else since I might live kitty corner to you in the US, and what I can find here you might not be able to find there.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #3

You assumed correctly sir. I updated my sign on.... however it was in my public profile.

I just took a quick look on rvtrader and not a single Northwood TT within 400 miles of me. Go figure. I'll look on some other sites.

Another suggestion possibly?
Old 09-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Northwood Manufacturing is a family of companies: Northwood | Northwood Manufacturing

The list of their brands is easier to locate at the bottom of the page, but it doesn't include Outdoors RV. I bought an ORV 19B for three reasons: I like the overbuilt capacities of the suspension and tires, the thick insulated walls and aluminum framing made sense for ruggedness, and I wanted a big back window even though it lets heat in and out like it's almost not there. I didn't want to feel claustrophobic in my home, as I am a full time RVr.

Outdoors RV is a division that has it's own website. The nearest dealer to you I believe is in Denver. Arctic Fox has a good reputation for quality, and it might be difficult to find one in your neck of the woods. You might have to travel some to find what you are looking for, or try to get someone in the area to go look at something in order for you to try to decide if it might be worth your effort.

I'm sure that there are brands that will serve you well if you find one that was well taken care of, I just have no experience with them. Good luck in your search and your upcoming adventures.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #5

Hey 1bigmess... I forgot to you reps for your suggestion. I bought a Nash and picking it up next Thursday. After checking out various trailers tht I "thought" were good for me... I realized I needed something more robust.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've lived in my ORV 19B for a little over a year now. It's been trouble free. I've towed it in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and now Idaho. It got through California from bottom to top with ease despite the roads trying to destroy it!

It needs a little maintenance, but since I'll be working in Idaho Falls ID for a few months there's time for that.

I hope you have a lot of fun!