Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Thermal Windows?

We are in the process of searching for our next TT. The vast majority of our use would be in above freezing temps, but would like the ability to comfortably stay in overnight temps that dip into the 20's or so on occasion.

So far we have narrowed it down to models by Artic Fox, Timber Ridge, and Creekside, all of which offer thermal windows as an option.

How important should thermal pane windows be in our decision? They certainly add to the initial cost, plus a little additional weight. And from searches here it looks like they can sometimes end up with fogging problems. I'm starting to think we could skip them and do just fine. What are your thoughts?

Also, any opinions on how the three manufactures stack up are appreciated. They all seem to be high quality units, and that just makes the decision tougher!
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #2

I believe you are headed in the right direction as to the models and brands you are looking at. All three mentioned are owned by Northwood Manufacturing. From my experience of being the owner of a Nash TT I know they are a great company to deal with. I may be influenced as I have one of their trailers but I have one because after all of my research and shopping they were the best. I won't name other brands that don't measure up because the market needs many models to fit both price points and layouts. When it's all added up go with the Arctic Fox or Nash. My understanding is that the Creekside is aimed at the first time buyer, the Timber Ridge is aimed at the first time fiberglass buyer. Both points are fine but I would go the extra cost of the Arctic fox now rather than later. Cheaper in the long run to buy high quality first rather than on your third. For the limited benefits of thermopane windows I would skip them. They will fail and the cost to replace is much higher. Enjoy your quest for your new TT. It will bring adventures you can't even imagine yet!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #3

After having 8 RVs without, and the last 2 with, if I had the choice I would for sure pay extra for them. Not only for the insulating factor but also for the way they stop sound. They are better quality too.
Well worth the extra money.

The only down side is you probably won't get any more money having them when you sell.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Arizona on everything but the resale aspect. When I bought my HR the thermo pane windows were at the top of the must have list and I was willing to pay a little more because the coach had them.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the thoughts. Opinions go both ways I guess. I never really thought about sound being an issue. We tend to either boondock or use state parks which have always been very quiet. I've never been concerned about noise, so for me, that wouldn't be a factor in our decision.
From what I understand thermal windows won't necessarily help much with condensation , correct? If they were able to help significantly with that problem it would sure sway me more that direction.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #6

I think they do help with condensation but the correct way to deal with that problem is to lower the humidity by using your exhaust fan to remove the moist air. You don't need to get rid of all the heat but just replace the moist air as needed.
I had a discussion with the local Airstream dealer and he said that most people who have an issue with fogged windows because of a seal failure just neatly remove the inner glass and call it good. Too costly to replace. I would follow your best judgement because it will be your rig.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I believe you are headed in the right direction as to the models and brands you are looking at. All three mentioned are owned by Northwood Manufacturing. From my experience of being the owner of a Nash TT I know they are a great company to deal with. I may be influenced as I have one of their trailers but I have one because after all of my research and shopping they were the best. I won't name other brands that don't measure up because the market needs many models to fit both price points and layouts. When it's all added up go with the Arctic Fox or Nash. My understanding is that the Creekside is aimed at the first time buyer, the Timber Ridge is aimed at the first time fiberglass buyer. Both points are fine but I would go the extra cost of the Arctic fox now rather than later. Cheaper in the long run to buy high quality first rather than on your third. For the limited benefits of thermopane windows I would skip them. They will fail and the cost to replace is much higher. Enjoy your quest for your new TT. It will bring adventures you can't even imagine yet!
just bought a Timber Ridge and the quality my wife and I saw was clearly better with the Timber Ridge models we looked at, when compared to Arctic Fox. they are both sold here in town and we can look them over pretty good.

can I ask why you say the thermal windows will fail?
GG250rds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #8

I don't know that they will fail, but I did find quite a few references to failures of them in my searches here. I have no idea whether or not that is common though. Would sure like to hear both sides of the question.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. Opinions go both ways I guess. I never really thought about sound being an issue. We tend to either boondock or use state parks which have always been very quiet. I've never been concerned about noise, so for me, that wouldn't be a factor in our decision. From what I understand thermal windows won't necessarily help much with condensation , correct? If they were able to help significantly with that problem it would sure sway me more that direction.
They certainly do help with condensation.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
My rig was 6+ years old and in a 2 or 3 month span, every window but the tiny kitchen one lost it's seal. Repair costs for 5 was a little less than $1200.00. But I wouldn't want to be without them. These things are hard to heat and cool, so every little bit helps.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't have a unit without the dual panes. Most definitely cuts down on the moisture problem in cold weather, insulate much better and the unit is much quieter. Sure you can have a leaky seal and we did with our previous coach but rather than having it repaired we just ordered a new window. Actually worked out to be about the same price. In find a lot of other things could go wrong with an RV before I would worry about leaky windows. JMHO of course. Good luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:19 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here in So Cal it's the heat. Thermal tinted windows are a help with that and condensation is not a big problem.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Without the therm windows and in freezing temps the kids will have fun running their fingers and making pictures on your frosted window panes, plus you have to keep wiping the frame down when heat builds up.
After we moved up to coach's with the thermal panes took that away from them but gained a quite coach, warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:01 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG250rds View Post
can I ask why you say the thermal windows will fail?
Thermal windows have seals. They work great in stick houses and mobile homes in parks, BUT the seals were not designed by NASA and are not designed to take the abuse of a moving house that twists and bounces. If they were designed to meet the stress place upon them being on a RV, they would have a life time warrantee. Warranty Information - Thermal Windows, Inc. I would consider some quality indoor or outdoor window coverings that provide privacy and keep out UV light.
BUT if you have the disposable income to gamble with on thermal panes and for future repairs, go for it.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window