Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

Think i am getting bamboozled

Went to pick up my new TT from the dealer and after doing my safety inspection I found my tires where at 40PSI instead of the required 50PSI.
While I was checking the tires I noticed a lug nut was missing. This is where I am concerned because the sales lady, no maintenance on sundays, said that it was nothing to worry about it was just the cap that had fallen off. This is where my worry started because where the cap had fallen off you could see the bare bolt sticking out, now I thought lug nuts where lug nuts not caps so I told her to keep TT and have the nuts retorqued. I think the lugs where never torqued how does everyone else feel if you experienced what i did? Also are the lug nuts just caps or are they lug nuts.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 08:43 PM   #2

Carolina Campers
Don't take delivery if you see problems. Once you sign and drive away, it is a completely different game.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #3

You're right to leave it where it was and go back when you can get the tire pressure set. and get the lug nuts torqued.

As far as being a cover missing or lug nut, if you could see more than two threads on the stud , the nut was missing.
Note ; every new or near new trailer I owned had a sticker above the wheels , saying to re-torque the lug nuts after the first 50 miles towed and before every trip. So a torque wrench would be a good addition to your tool box.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #4

The cap covers the wheel bearings and under no circumstances should be driven down the road where dirt,grit and water can enter. The lug nuts also all need to be installed and torqued correctly. Tire pressures should be at the pressure the tire manufacturer recommends for the load carried. I would like to know the dealers name so I won't go near there and have to dodge tires bouncing down the highway😕.

2003 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster-F53 Chassis towing 1998 Tracker
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:44 AM   #5

Never/Ever do this kind of Stuff on a Weekend... OR evenings...

car, truck, trailer.

most likely it came from the factory that way.. and NO one checked anything...
or VERY Little.

inspection is a costly investment for dealers.. so low man/woman (lowest paid) does this work... as is the attitude of workers.

my opinion... retired auto mechanic.
you should see how New cars show up at dealers... Unbelievable.. even today. it is much better now.. but still... happens.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #6

The stock wheels on my chevy had little plastic caps (decorative?) over the lug nuts. Didn't make sense to me but maybe some trailer wheels come the same way and shes just confused. But if its missing the nut, its missing the nut. Think you did right thing leaving it. Good eye.
Sparechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:41 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire pressure: Where did it say 50 PSI was Required?
Most RVs there are a few prssures that are all but guaranteed to be wrong (NOTE: sometimes one of them might be right.. I happen to be one of those cases)

THe pressure molded onto the tire (MAXIMUM LOAD at MAXIMUM PRESSURE it says. not PRESSURE xxx PSI)

The pressure on teh sticker inside

The pressure the dealer put in

You need to know the load the tire is carrying to find the PROPER pressure, and then you need to consult with they who made it D(ownlaod the inflation chart)

LUG NUT.

I have simulators on my Motor home, this is a big chrome thing "Simulates" very expensive chrome rims.. But is really a way less costly hubcap

Of the 10 lug nuts on the Simulator only one two are nuts.. The other eight are just caps.

Page 2... If you looke into the hole behind the bolt you will see the REAL lug nut. No cap on that.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:13 PM   #8

Best case, you left the trailer at the dealer until you got some advice.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #9

You did the right thing. When you go back to pick it up, have the Service Manager walk through all the things you are not comfortable with, and have him explain why/what things are. At least that way you have a contact that understands what your concerns were rather than some sales person. Most dealers, the service and sales are two different entities so to speak and do not communicate well. Also don't be afraid to be picky and make sure everything works before you take delivery, otherwise it may sit in the service area for several weeks if you have to take it back after the sale.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On trailer tires the pressure on the sidewall IS the maximum cold pressure the tire should have. And most tire manufacturers recommend that the tires be run at that pressure and not reduced for lower weight.
On larger (truck size) RV tires it is the MINIMUM pressure to support the MAXIMUM load the tire can carry. This is stated in the tire manufacturers literature but it seems lots of folks still think otherwise for some reason.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #11

That would make me wonder and worry about the dealer.. Sounds like there was little or no prepping of the unit. You were right in leaving it there until completely prepped.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:32 AM   #12

Couple of commeents

Don't mean to hi-jack this post, but I think these are relevant. I took the cheap plastic hub caps off my 5er. Every time I walk by, I can see all the lug nuts and dust caps. I use a laser non-contact thermometer to check temp of hubs and tires at the end of the day, or if a tire looks low at a rest stop. I would like to put the torque wrench on the lug nuts, If I had any idea what the torque should be. No info on a 30 year old camper. I just put all new Carlisle tires on it, and they say inflate to sidewall pressure (80#) or no warranty.
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
Don't mean to hi-jack this post, but I think these are relevant. I took the cheap plastic hub caps off my 5er. Every time I walk by, I can see all the lug nuts and dust caps. I use a laser non-contact thermometer to check temp of hubs and tires at the end of the day, or if a tire looks low at a rest stop. I would like to put the torque wrench on the lug nuts, If I had any idea what the torque should be. No info on a 30 year old camper. I just put all new Carlisle tires on it, and they say inflate to sidewall pressure (80#) or no warranty.
there is an industry standard .. wheel studs... measure size of stud..

here is a link... bottom of list is for trailers. by size.
http://www.discounttire.com/infoCent...eelTorque.html
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #14

IMHO: doesn't make any difference of it is just missing the cover, the lug nut, or the entire wheel. It was not ready for delivery to the customer.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led