Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #1

We currently have a hybrid, and are considering a move to a regular travel trailer with a hard-walled slideout rear bed. We're award of the Keystone Outback; KZ Frontier, Sportsmen Lite, and Jag; Jayco Jayfeather; Coachmen Captiva and Forest River Shamrock and Roo. Any others we missed?

I'd love any input from those who own these type of trailers. We are looking in the 21-22 foot length range.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #2

We currently have a hybrid, and are considering a move to a regular travel trailer with a hard-walled slideout rear bed. We're award of the Keystone Outback; KZ Frontier, Sportsmen Lite, and Jag; Jayco Jayfeather; Coachmen Captiva and Forest River Shamrock and Roo. Any others we missed?

I'd love any input from those who own these type of trailers. We are looking in the 21-22 foot length range.

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #3

hi linda,i have a 2004 23rs from outback.
we just love it.i came from a hybrid like you.
if you have any question email me.
or check out our web site on outbacks
its www.outbackers.com

lamar
Old 01-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I will check out that group. The Outback is made by Keystone, correct? Who made the first trailer with a hard-walled slide out bed, Keystone or was it K-Z?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Starcraft also has a similar unit called the Homestead. Also I heard that the designer from KZ was hired away from KZ by Keystone. Also look at Aerolite. If you are making the change from hybred to full hard side, why not go all the way. What exactly are you looking for in this TT?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #6

Thanks, Randy, for your reply.

We are looking to get away from the tenting to improve noise resistance, weather resistance, and easier setup and tear down. We have also had a tree branch spear us through tenting in the past. I don't think I mentioned that we are state park campground hosts and spend anywhere from two weeks to two months at a time camping.

I am squeamish about towing in general, so the shorter length of the trailer with a slide out bed is way more appealing than a longer length trailer. We are currently interested in the Roo or Shamrock 21RS which is very slightly smaller and lighter than our current trailer. Our three kids are grown and don't camp with us anymore so we no longer need the increased sleeping space of the hybrid.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:58 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Linda, I have also gone with a smaller is better approach. At 23'6" my current unit is the largest I have owned. There are lots of units out there in the 20ish foot range that will work well for two people. I am also anti slide out anything. It is just one more thing to go wrong. In my current unit I have a big bathroom, dinette, sofa, and a full time bed. It give us enough room to each have our own space - or to cuddle up close. My point is that you don't need to look at units with slide out beds - there are other options in hard side land that are small, lightweight and practical.

Tags
kz-rv