Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #1

This bed is KILLING ME!!!

Hello all!!

So we have had our travel trailer for about 9 months now.......and I can't stand the mattress any longer. I suffer from a bad back and this thing is making my vacations miserable.

Can anyone recommend a good suppler for RV mattresses. My unit has a cut corner so it will need to be tailored custom.

Thanks in advance.
Blackcvpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You might try a Perfect Harmony Mattress Topper. I did not like sleeping on the bed in our RV at all it was much to hard. We added the mattress topper last month and it improved our sleeping experience significantly. Here is a link to the one we bought.
Perfect Harmony Mattress Toppers - Product - Camping World
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We had the same problem. Our mattress was of good quality, just too firm. I think it's difficult to get the right comfort in a 5-6 in thick RV mattress. Anyway, we had a large piece of the old "egg crate" type foam. I cut that too fit as an experiment. At the same time, DW bought a memory foam topper from CW.

We found using them both was perfect. Amazingly, we both found we sleep as well if not better than our expensive one at home.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #4

Ruptured disc here. I have a futon in my stick house and a memory foam in my roller..ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. They both work for me.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
We had the same problem. Our mattress was of good quality, just too firm. I think it's difficult to get the right comfort in a 5-6 in thick RV mattress. Anyway, we had a large piece of the old "egg crate" type foam. I cut that too fit as an experiment. At the same time, DW bought a memory foam topper from CW.

We found using them both was perfect. Amazingly, we both found we sleep as well if not better than our expensive one at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
You might try a Perfect Harmony Mattress Topper. I did not like sleeping on the bed in our RV at all it was much to hard. We added the mattress topper last month and it improved our sleeping experience significantly. Here is a link to the one we bought.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I probably should have mentioned that the mattress we have now.....if thats what you want to call it.......its not much more then a 3 or 4 inch foam pad. We also added 2 layers of egg crate pad. It offers no support what so ever. Within a hour or two I can feel the wood panel under the pad.

I think a complete replacement is in order.

DonDee......I am leaning towards memory foam. 8 years ago I literally broke my neck.....so my whole back can be tricky at times.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #6

Sympathies for your back pain. I suffered for years until I bought my Tempur-Pedic Mattress. I would think it could be cut to fit your space.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
was just looking at this topper, not sure if I have a queen short or full, anyone know what the measurements are for each. I have been desperately searching for something to help my wife. We really enjoy camping, but if I can not find something to make the bed more comfortable, we may be selling the camper!!

2003 Skyline 303C 32ft TT
ffmd212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Walmart sells a 10 inch memory foam mattress. I imagine it has a zippered cover so you should be able to cut the foam to fit your bed.

An electric knife makes a decent cut faster than anything else and leaves a cleaner edge.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #9

topper

We added a 4" memory foam topper, it did the trick.
Make sure if you buy one that it is all memory foam, many we looked at were 2 different types of material glued together.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We bought the gel memory foam topper and made all the difference.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Memory foam comes in different densities. The larger the number, the more dense the foam. Avoid the low numbers if you want good ZZZZ.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcvpi

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I probably should have mentioned that the mattress we have now.....if thats what you want to call it.......its not much more then a 3 or 4 inch foam pad. We also added 2 layers of egg crate pad. It offers no support what so ever. Within a hour or two I can feel the wood panel under the pad.

I think a complete replacement is in order.

DonDee......I am leaning towards memory foam. 8 years ago I literally broke my neck.....so my whole back can be tricky at times.
Here is a link for RV matteress replacement. Google RV mattress and there are many.

http://www.exceldistributors.com/
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffmd212 View Post
was just looking at this topper, not sure if I have a queen short or full, anyone know what the measurements are for each.
53 in x 74 in Full
60 in x 74 in Short Queen (RV queen?)
60 in x 79 in Queen
72 in x 78 in RV King
72 in x 80 in Short King
72 in x 84 in Cal King
76 in x 80 in King

We replaced the cheap stock mattress in our new Joey with a good EuroTop mattress from Sam's Club, without even sleeping on the stock mattress, and without measuring the stock mattress. The new mattress is perfect, except it's longer than the stock mattress, so it crowds the bedroom a bit. So the stock mattress was probably a Short Queen and the replacement is a normal Queen.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #14

Well I ended up pulling the trigger and getting a custom fit mattress made. I found a company local to me in East Los Angeles and they made a mattress to fit my needs. Its almost as nice as the one I have in my home.

Its a eurotop innerspring. Cost was 440 delivered.

Anyone in Southern California that is looking for a new Mattress for there RV or home should check out Paramount Mattress in Los Angeles. Its a family owned and operated company that makes the mattresses on site.

I can't wait for our next trip!!!

Paramount Mattress
2900 E Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles
(323) 264-3451
http://paramountmatt.com/

Before

After