Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Timber Ridge vs. Wind River vs. Arctic Fox and Price

Hi All,

I am trying to decide if we are making the right choice to purchase a 2015 Wind River 250RLS.

First Price. The MSRP on this trailer is around $48K and our dealer has offered it to us at $36K. That price still seems high based on the discount off MRSP for purchases made by our friends for similar size/quality trailers (e.g. Keystone Outback, Trailblazer, etc). I was thinking around a 30% discount was fair but maybe I am wrong and the Outdoors models seem to be selling as fast as they come in at our local dealer.

Additionally is the extra 2-3K for Wind River worth it over Timber Ridge? We wanted a Timber Ridge 260RLS but they are all sold out and even the ones scheduled to be built this summer for my local dealer are pre-sold.

And finally how do the Outdoors models compare to Arctic Fox? The Arctic Fox 25Y was originally first on our list but have leaned towards the Outdoors. My two main concerns are 1. the the size of the 25Y was the limit I had decided on previously at 30' and 6000lbs, and 2 Arctic Fox is a proven brand. The Outdoors models are 31'8" and the Wind River is over 7000. We tow with a 2012 duramax. We do a lot of dry camping in remote areas. However maybe I am making being over concerned about less than 2' additional length and extra 1000lb?

We are upgrading from a 2001 Trail Lite 7321 that we bought used in 2006. Worst case we can wait until next year if it would be better to get price.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The AF and ORV factories are just a few miles from each other in La Grande Or. Take a drive and tour the plants. You will know the one and can find it in Oregon. take your stuff and stay at the Rally up there in June. Remote areas,, I think the AF's come with 16 inch rims vs ORV is 15.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #3

I have a artic fox 30U only draw back is tongue weight 1170 but I love it you pay for what you get
Old 05-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #4

I think that layout plays a big role. We considered the AF25W and chose the Outdoors Timber Ridge 250RDS because we liked the layout with the dinette in the rear window. Solid trailer that pulls great and had no air leaks while camping in 60 mph winds.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #5

I should have prob read the outdoors thread before posting because some of my questions are answered there.

I am leaning towards going forward with the Wind River. I am still concerned it is more trailer than we need with the price and weight being a big factor in that concern.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi Sheetmusic, Just wondering how that F150 does with that 250rdsw? You have the v6 ecoboost? My Ram does just fine with my 250rdsw but that TT with a 1/2 ton, I just wonder.
Treadfield, you can pull anything with that Duramax. It's just a matter of if you want to find a place for a bigger TT. I feel the difference between my WR and the Sunnybrook 26cks I had. But the WR is really nice once I am parked.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #7

Just purchased a Northwood Snowriver form the same folks that make Arctic Fox. I know a lot about RV construction and it seemed to be the best built of those I looked at. I especially like the fact they do not use the trouble prone Lippert frame. I got the 234RBS model which is the shortest they make as I want a shorter rig. I run RV caravans into Mexico and it is important the wagon master gets parked first and quickly. My complaints are

1) cannot access bath with slide in. Could not in my old RV either. So not a deal killer.
2) No readily available 12 v near bed to run an inverter for my CPAP. I plan to interrupt the AC runs to there at the panel and install an inverter & switch.
3) The tv sound is not back fed into the stereo system, I cna solve that with a mini FM transmitter to send the output to the Radio. They used an AV cable from the DVD to the TV instead of HDMI. It is not possible to re-run it. How hard would it have been to use flex conduit so it could be fished?
4) they use a disk shaped TV antenna that looks like a tree branch snagger. I intend to cover it with a plastic vent.
5) window in side of slide. I know that can cause seal wear.

But, no RV is perfect. This one appears to be very solid and has better clearance underneath than most, and the frame is obviouslsy far more solid than most. They make their own.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredfield View Post
I should have prob read the outdoors thread before posting because some of my questions are answered there.

I am leaning towards going forward with the Wind River. I am still concerned it is more trailer than we need with the price and weight being a big factor in that concern.
Tredfield,

I weighed our WR 250 RDSW last Tuesday. No food, no clothes, all tanks empty except full propane. Also, we have dual 6v batteries. Tongue weight right at 1000 lbs. Trailer alone, a little over 7000 lbs. You wouldn't catch me trying to pull my rig with a F150, if that is what your tow vehicle would be.

We do love our trailer. We can easily walk front to back with the slide in. We have room for a 40" TV in the living area, we have LOTS of kitchen counter space and really love the FIREPLACE and gigantic rear window! It is a very light and airy rig, which is important to us.

Our prior two rigs were Arctic Foxes. Outdoors makes a very comparable product. It remains to be seen if Outdoors customer service can match Northwood's (Arctic Fox). Having dealt with Northwood for over 12 years, their customer service was an 11 out of 10! It was painful to leave the Northwood family, they just did not have a floorplan/overall length model that suited our needs.

Good luck!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I almost bought a AF. The one I liked lacked storage space. Another one lacked a proper pantry. The 250RDSW has it all. My weights are right where Bob's are and I also would not tow it with a 1/2 ton of any make. But I do tow long distances. My comfort zone says 28ft and 6K pounds is the limit for a 1/2 ton. I know many people have a bigger zone.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #10

I have a 1 ton dually that I had a truck camper on beofre. i also have a torklift super hitch. I suspect I am overkill for a 5500 lb trailer
Old 05-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #11

We went for it yesterday and purchased the Wind River 250RSLW. The salesman said he couldn't go lower than $36K but agreed to install a fantastic fan with wall switch in place of the stock vent in the galley (my wife and I couldn't reach the control for the stock vent). He also included a cover.

Something that bugged me, and this is probably going to sound absurd, but the under bed storage on the Wind River is less than the Timber Ridge. We wanted as much storage under the bed as possible for storing dirt bike gear/etc. See pics below.

Wind River 250RLSW

Timber Ridge 260RLS

The framed box for the Wind River is about 10" shorter than the Timber Ridge. It also means the end of the bed hangs over with no support and when we sat on the end of the bed it folded over. Our salesman said they can cut a new plywood support that is longer to help. The design on the Timber Ridge also makes it a lot easier to lift than the short lid on the Wind River.

I am considering extending the box or taking the front panel off so we slide our large gear bins in/out from underneath the bed and utilize the empty space under the bed.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am taking my camera and a notepad to the rally. I am sure there are many mods I have not even thought of doing that will be on my list. That Wind River will provide you with a solid base for any mods you design.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Edit to clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Tredfield,

I weighed our WR 250 RDSW last Tuesday. No food, no clothes, all tanks empty except full propane. Also, we have dual 6v batteries. Tongue weight right at 1000 lbs. Trailer alone, a little over 7000 lbs. You wouldn't catch me trying to pull my rig with a F150, if that is what your tow vehicle would be.

We do love our trailer. We can easily walk front to back with the slide in. We have room for a 40" TV in the living area, we have LOTS of kitchen counter space and really love the FIREPLACE and gigantic rear window! It is a very light and airy rig, which is important to us.

Our prior two rigs were Arctic Foxes. Outdoors makes a very comparable product. It remains to be seen if Outdoors customer service can match Northwood's (Arctic Fox). Having dealt with Northwood for over 12 years, their customer service was an 11 out of 10! It was painful to leave the Northwood family, they just did not have a floorplan/overall length model that suited our needs.

Good luck!

Bob
All,

I need to edit the above post to be sure what I said is clear. With the trailer alone on the scale, the hitch not connected to the truck but supported by the tongue jack on the scale, the trailer weighed 8100 lbs.

Bob
Old 05-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredfield View Post
We went for it yesterday and purchased the Wind River 250RSLW. The salesman said he couldn't go lower than $36K but agreed to install a fantastic fan with wall switch in place of the stock vent in the galley (my wife and I couldn't reach the control for the stock vent). He also included a cover.

Something that bugged me, and this is probably going to sound absurd, but the under bed storage on the Wind River is less than the Timber Ridge. We wanted as much storage under the bed as possible for storing dirt bike gear/etc. See pics below.

Wind River 250RLSW

Timber Ridge 260RLS

The framed box for the Wind River is about 10" shorter than the Timber Ridge. It also means the end of the bed hangs over with no support and when we sat on the end of the bed it folded over. Our salesman said they can cut a new plywood support that is longer to help. The design on the Timber Ridge also makes it a lot easier to lift than the short lid on the Wind River.

I am considering extending the box or taking the front panel off so we slide our large gear bins in/out from underneath the bed and utilize the empty space under the bed.
Congratulations tredfield! I predict you will love it! That is interesting about the underbed storage being smaller on your rig. I wonder why that is the case? Our 250 RDSW underbed storage seems to be about the size of the Timber Ridge you show. Since we have changed mattresses I changed the pneumatic struts to 100 psi units. The bed is now very easy to raise and balances perfectly in the raised position. But we do lower to to sleep...

Bob