Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

Timbren SES

Okay I need some quick advice. I just bought a new TT and will be picking it up tomorrow. I have purchased Timbren SES for my rear suspension to help with squat. My question is, should I install the Timbrens before going to the RV dealer where they will adjust my Equalizer WDH or wait until after they adjust the WDH? I tried Googling it and can't find an answer. Thank you in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #2

Before. Anything that will affect rear height of the truck needs to be in place at the time of getting the weight distribution hitch dialed in. And the dealership may or may not get the adjustment right on the weight distribution the first time as they won't spend any time weighing or road testing the unit, you may need to modify some later on.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #3

I use Timbren too. Here's my take.... and there are 3 ways to look at the plan IMO. What's important to know is if the timbren is engaged or not with the springs ... no load. If they do not touch with no load (static on level ground) then it doesn't matter. However if they do touch the springs then

1) When setting up a weight distribution hitch you set the adjustment for the bars depending on load by measuring drop. Lets say your measure point is at 20". You load the truck (tongue) and it drops to 17" with no adjustment. So you raise the tongue to 22" and lock in the bars. Re lower the weight and you have 19" and your good to go. ***All made up numbers of course for novices reading this.

You go home and install your timbren.

2) You've install the timbren and go to the dealer. Your static point of reference is now 21" with no load. You load the trailer on the truck. Truck lowers to 19" because it's now on the timbrens. Weight distribution bars are now adjusted based on 2" drop and not 3".

3) Your timbrens are installed and your doing the adjustment based on a fully loaded trailer at home that you are planning to drive with. You know your unloaded numbers, loaded numbers and now fully loaded numbers.

There is no wrong way... but if it were me, I would want to know all my numbers for future reference. Therefore I would install after.... I know I have a fully loaded trailer, assuming the timbrens are on the springs, in an unloaded state.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:17 AM   #4

Thank you
Old 06-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #5

those are just rubber cushions, why not go to an air bag around the same price and they are adjustable. I have them on my 1500 GMC and pull a 27' T/T they work great. I air them up to about 15-20# with the trailer on just to firm up the ride. then air them out to about 3-5 when the trailer is off and I want a smooth ride.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
those are just rubber cushions, why not go to an air bag around the same price and they are adjustable. I have them on my 1500 GMC and pull a 27' T/T they work great. I air them up to about 15-20# with the trailer on just to firm up the ride. then air them out to about 3-5 when the trailer is off and I want a smooth ride.
Jay D.
Agree. On a side note, Timbrens totally ruined the ride on my Ram 1500, loaded or unloaded. We did one trip with them. Loose fillings and frazzled nerves.

You may also want to consider one of the several helper spring options out there. There's at least one that doesn't affect unloaded ride.
billyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #7

They're just rubber cushions... kinda like air bags? think about it.

Timbren have an advantage of "no failure" no maintenance, no air compressor, no leak... so if simpler is better then timbren is a good choice.

Reality is.... Timbren or air bags have their place. In certain applications air bags are better and by the same token so are Timbren. For me... I have an Excursion with a straight front axle. The bump stops by design from Ford, are actually an integral part of the parabolic suspension. The Timbren are clearly the better choice. For the rear it's a toss up and I use a combination of things for improved towing.

The 5000 series Air lift use a combination of the two... an internal bump stop (jounce) and an inflatable air bag. I like 'em.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #8

I used a set of Timbrens on my F250 a while back, didn't like the ride, seemed bouncy. Converted to 5000 airlift with jounce bumpers & I like the control of inflating to whatever is necessary to accommodate load changes. 5 to 10lbs for no load, 20lbs for farm equipment, & 30lbs for RV. If airbag fails the internal jounce bumpers will keep truck stable.
anthonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:07 AM   #9

Smile

Thank you all for your suggestions. I went with the Timbrens and installed them after the hitch setup. The plan was to do it before the hitch setup but a screw up by realtruck.com caused the parts to not be delivered before the trailer pick up date. Anyway, I installed them and went on a 1200 mile round trip to North Carolina. The Timbrens worked perfectly. Don't even know they are there when not towing anything. While towing, they help with squat and the ride was very smooth. Not regretting my decision at all. I leased the truck before buying the trailer or I would've gone with an F-250 instead so I'm stuck with the 150 for now. The trailer is a little big for my 1/2 ton but it is within all manufacturer specs for my model and max towing package. But that's a debate for another thread. Oh well. The F-150 handled the trailer on this long trip like a beast. Only averaged 8.5 MPG though. I attribute this to the hellacious mountains we went through on I-77, I-81 and Boone, NC. Hit real bad weather on the way home with strong winds and I definitely felt it a little but my truck handled it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jun 24, 7 02 48 AM.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	372.4 KB
ID:	208662  
Old 11-20-2019, 04:33 AM   #10

How long did you end up using the Tibrens with your F150? How did it go?
Ron Ron is offline   Reply With Quote