Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Time for a new battery

I really let this new battery go, it was used only 2 times and sat for over a year. It was neglected, Im hVing a friend charge it so I can get it tested, I'm planning a trip next week, if that battery is fried will I need one to power the brake on the TT? The site has power but wondering if I can hold off on buying one for now.

Also I've geard two 6V are better then a 12v, will I need to rewire? Is going w a battery tender my best bet when the TT is out in storage?

Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
A battery tender would be good if the outdoor temperatures do not get too cold. We bring ours inside and rotate a charger on them. 2 6v batteries connected in series will provide more amp hours. Here is a quick drawing on the connections. As for the brakes, our Cougar will operate the brakes off of truck power when connected. Hope this helps..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6v-series-wiring-600x291.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	89311  

dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
Outdoors RV Owners Club
A battery Wizard automatically lowers the charge voltage when there is no use and brings it back up when there is. It plugs into some of the converters.
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Appalachian Campers
Brakes. Yes, your truck supplies all power for your brakes when connected however in the case of a breakaway then you are required to have on board battery power to engage the brakes. That's a law in all states so far as I know.

Dual 6V. I wholeheartedly recommend this if you dry camp at all. You don't need to rewire, just install with a short cable to tie the batteries together as shown in the diagram above. Although your amp hours don't multiply like you would think, 6V batteries have much higher capacity though. For example, I have four 6V batteries in a split pair, essentially making two large 12V batteries. The 6V batteries are 230ah each, so the result is 12V 230ah because you doubled the voltage thus increasing the effective draw. Still far more then even two 12V batteries. So, you have more capacity, they're very durable, soak up a charge and are built to take a pounding.

A tender is great at keeping batteries up, but you mentioned storage. Will you have power? A small solar panel might be the more effective option.
2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #5
It's stored outside but I can keep the battery in the garage
2014 Coachman Clipper 17BH

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:42 AM   #6
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
It's stored outside but I can keep the battery in the garage
That's a good idea. As soon as you park the trailer, disconnect the battery either by using a switch or removing a cable. While in storage, keep the battery fully charged using a battery tender full time, or a larger charger about once a month.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:22 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re Battery Tender.. someone said they are good if it does not get too cold....Too Cold is way beyond 40 below. (I forget how cold a battery, fully charged, can get but long about -40 the electronics in the charger may quit.)

Re 6v/s12

The most common six volt battery is a GC-2..215-230 Amp Hours, Flooded wet cell. You can add distilled water as needed Some of us feel this can cause the battery to last longer if you properly maintain it.

This battery is a true DEEP CYCLE battery, so you can run it down to half full before serious damage starts.

The most common 12 volt batteries are group 24,27,29 and 31 MARINE/deep cycle... You should try to keep them at least 3/4 full

Total capacity is as follows
24,,about 74
27 and 29 Just below/over 100 amp hours respectively
Group 31 130

But due to the difference between MARINE/deep cycle and TRUE Deep cycle the GC2 has more useable capacity than the Group31

Finally the GC-2 is the most produced Lead Acid battery period.. Thus the cost per unit is lower (Economy of scale) making it the best BANG for your BUCK

As to re-wiring

You wire two GC-2 in series like this -{bat}t{Ery}+

ANd you get.... a 12 volt battery... Size 4D

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote