Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Time to buy a battery, advice please.

When I purchased my trailer at the end of the season last year, it had no battery. I didn't purchase one yet because whats the point. Now we are starting to get warmer weather and getting the trailer ready. The battery is a 24M, and it only takes 1. In the automotive world I have had good luck with Interstate, so I was looking at the 24M-XHD. Anyone have any advice as to a better one, or is this a good way to go?

I also have a battery tender that will be getting installed on there as well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I purchased the best Interstate deep cycle battery for the house battery for my RV about a year ago. It has worked well so far so I would recommend it.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

You should really have a true deep cycle battery. The Interstate 24M-XHD are not true deep cycle. If you have room I would suggest you get two 6 volt deep cycle (aka golf cart) batteries and wire them in series. This is the most common setup. If you don't have room you'll have to go with a single 12 volt deep cycle. Is I've never dealt with 12 volt deep cycle I can't make any recommendation. You'll have to do some research or perhaps someone else can give some ideas.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
We have golf cart batteries in our 5er. Don't recall the name of the battery. Does Costco sell the battery you are looking for? If so I would get them there.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
so are the 6 volt golf cart batteries true deep cycle? I do go to NASCAR races and such where there is no plug in power. So I will run a generator as needed, the battery can get drained sometimes.

If I cant get the 2 6 volts to fit, who do you recommend for a deep cycle 12v?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
so are the 6 volt golf cart batteries true deep cycle? I do go to NASCAR races and such where there is no plug in power. So I will run a generator as needed, the battery can get drained sometimes.

If I cant get the 2 6 volts to fit, who do you recommend for a deep cycle 12v?
Yes the 6 volt golf cart batteries are true deep cycle that are designed for rugged use. They can be shaken and jostled without damage to the battery,

Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #7

Since your going to be"infield docking" and using the batteries you definitely want deep cycle. Trojan T-105 seem to be very popular, I have US Battery in my coach. Don't know the exact model but it is rated at 216 amp-hour. The T-105 are rated at 225. Two T-105 in series will give you 225 amp-hour at 12 volt.
What you want is the most amp-hours in the space available for the money you want to spend.
Hopefully your rig has a battery monitor already installed. If not you should look into getting one. It is how you monitor the health of your batteries.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
I am trying to find someone who sells the Trojan 105's, but no luck up here in CT. Any idea what a pair of those should cost?

I will find a way to make them fit, I'm not afraid to modify the tray and get a new box, but thats if its in my price range.

As for a monitor, I have the one that came installed in the trailer, it just tells you the strength.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
How are Sportsman batteries? Im guessing they are middle of the road based on the price. My local RV shop has them in stock for $90. The Trojan 105 is $207 each, thats a bit too much for me
Old 03-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Goneracin - You beat me to posting this thread as I was wondering the same thing. What I find is that true deep cycle batteries are best for drawing power over long periods without charging. However, they are very heavy and high priced. Since most TTs have the battery located at the tongue or close to it, the extra weight may affect tongue weight. That may be why they stick the marine/rv dual purpose batteries on.

I am by no means an expert at this, just throwin my $0.02 in.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #11

Coastal Campers
Whatever type of battery you decide to get, I would get it from a chain store that has outlets in most places you are apt to travel to - that way, if you happen to get a bad one, it will be an easy swap under warranty ....

RV batteries take a real beating, and often wear out before the warranty has expired.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #12

Batteries come in group 24 (the smallest and weakest) group 27 (middle of road) then group 29 (the largest and most amp hrs.)

To keep things simple buy a 12v group 29 battery. You might also need a larger battery box.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought two 6 volt golf cart at Costco a couple of years ago. They have held up good and last a couple of days without charging. They were $80 each at the time in CA.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #14

Looking at DC Batteries i saw size 29 and then a size 31 ?????

Tags
advice, battery