Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #1

I have a set of Goodyear Marathon tires that I bought new and used them for one year (very low mileage and were covered). They came off the trailer when I sold it and have been in my garage 4 years now. I know most users talk about any tire over 5 years to replace them no matter what tread is left. This statement would seem to come from tires that have been exposed to sun light(the elements). In my case, they have not. What do you guys think of running these tires again??

Thanks
Ramon

2006 2500 Dodge Megacab 5.9 Cummins, 48RE, Superglide
MrFixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #2

I have a set of Goodyear Marathon tires that I bought new and used them for one year (very low mileage and were covered). They came off the trailer when I sold it and have been in my garage 4 years now. I know most users talk about any tire over 5 years to replace them no matter what tread is left. This statement would seem to come from tires that have been exposed to sun light(the elements). In my case, they have not. What do you guys think of running these tires again??

Thanks
Ramon

2006 2500 Dodge Megacab 5.9 Cummins, 48RE, Superglide
MrFixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
If they don't show any visible signs of sidewall or tread checking and/or deterioration you might want to have a knowledgeable Goodyear dealer take a look and give you their opinion on their condition. If they look good (inside and out) and have been stored out of the light in a dry place, I wouldn't be hesitant to use them at all.

I think tossing perfectly good tires just because a certain amount of time has passed is way overblown. Especially if they're only 5 years old. After 7 years you might want to keep a close eye on them and at the first sign of any piece of the tread breaking loose or any cracks in the sidewalls, then toss all 4.

Just my opinion and my hunch is that there will be many who disagree with it.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:59 AM   #4

I think the advice of having a knowledgable dealer check them out is good advice. They know more than us common folk.

On the inspection and looking for tread breaking loose I am not so sure. My sister had 6 years on their tires on their vehicle. My brother-in-law maintains his vehicles and trailer in the best shape possible. His vehicle is always stored indoors unless driving. They had a blowout while traveling with their trailer and lost the entire trailer. Tires looked great with plenty of tread. But from the age they had deteriorated. I have new looking tires on my fifth wheel, but am looking at replacing them either this year or next. They will be 7 years old next year. I just don't know on this one, but figure I will error on the side of safety.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #5

I would change them at 7 years if they do not fail first.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #6

There is a reason all tire manufacturers now limit their warranties to 6 years from date of manufacture. One states on their website that tires age from the inside first, and no exterior signs are visible until later.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I wouldn't run Goodyear Marathon tires on my trailer if the were new right out of the dealers. Here is a picture of mine that were less than 1 years old and under 1000 miles.

My rig now has Michelin XPS Ribs and I have over 10,000 miles on them with no problems at all.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:48 AM   #8

I guess you could go to a tire dealer and get his opinion, but remember they are in the market to sell tires. He will most likely tell you to replace and he has the right replacement.

If they are in as good a shape as you describe, I would use them and keep a close eye on them, watch for anything on a very regular basis.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:34 AM   #9

I believe that it isn't sunlight so much as it is ozone that causes rubber to deteriorate over time. I'm not positive, but think I read it someplace, so time would be mort important than sun exposure, as ozone is everywhere.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trash the tires. They are only good for 5years from date of manufacture which is stamped on the sidewall. If yo keep them and use them you will regret it on the road.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:12 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have had two blowouts, the first was on a Class A while pumping gas, it was a dual tire so we could limp home. (100 miles) That blow was caused by dry rot which never occured to us because at that time we were new to RVing. The tires looked good and had lots of tread.

The 2nd blowout was last week on our way home from the annual irv2 rally. The tires were 4 years old and looked good. I (Nancy) always look at the tires for balloons or cracks because of the first blowout.

Moral of story - your safety and the well being of your rig are at the mercy of the tires. Be careful!

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #12

We have about 8,000 miles or so on our Goodyear Marathons so far.
They are only class B,
we are hauling about 4300 lbs on them.
So far so good!

They are a little over 2 years old at this point-original tires with our TT.

Jo

Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote