Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
The article has been rewritten by a number of people that have put their own twist on it such as adding tire weights and other misleading information.
Yes, that was my point. As to the original article, I tried to find it on the allexperts site but there is just too much ST vs. LT 'noise' to find a specific article with the search tool. If anyone does have a link to the real article I would appreciate it.

Because Light Truck tires are designed for the riggers of drive and steer axles the term “all position” would have nothing to do with trailer axles.
Like seemingly everything else on this subject definitions are not absolute. Sometimes 'all position' refers to being appropriate for drive or steer axles and sometimes it is used to denote tires intended for drive, steer, or tag/trailer axles. In fact Michelin states 'All-position tires are typically used on free-rolling axles however they are extremely versatile and can be utilized in all wheel positions.' Pick your definition.

But my point remains. If you go to virtually any tire manufacturer's site and select 'RV tires' as an application you are taken to their commercial/truck site where you are presented with a subset of LT (or ST) tires that are approved for such use. Just because a tire with 'LT' on it works well on a Ford Explorer it doesn't mean it is intended for a 12-14,000 lb. RV. And if you ask the tire manufacturers will tell you the same thing. (That isn't aimed at you FastEagle, just a general comment on all the 'LT tires are always better' threads.) As always the best choice of any piece of equipment depends on many factors and never just one.

smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #16
The DOT also likes to define things they certify. Here is how they have defined LT tires.

“Light truck (LT) tire means a tire designated by its manufacturer as primarily intended for use on lightweight trucks or multipurpose passenger vehicles.” (DOT)

Standard No. 139; New pneumatic radial tires for light vehicles. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

USN - RET - PDRL - Aviation Structural Mechanic (H)
DOD - RET - Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #17
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ST tires are designed to withstand the twisting forces that a trailer exerts on better than an LT tire so you can't just go by the load/speed rating either.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #18
The DOT also likes to define things they certify. Here is how they have defined LT tires.

“Light truck (LT) tire means a tire designated by its manufacturer as primarily intended for use on lightweight trucks or multipurpose passenger vehicles.” (DOT)
I'm not sure I understand... are you saying that the DOT is defining a trailer as a passenger vehicle?

In any event I'm not dismissing manufacturer-approved LT tires for trailer use, for example the Michelin XPS rib is apparantly an excellent choice. I'm only saying that there are additional demands on tires used in heavy trailer service and there is no magic blanket approval for any consumer tire with an 'LT' on it to be used in that application. But it's easy to ask the manufacturer whether they recommend a particular tire model for RV trailer service and I'm not sure why people don't simply do that rather than argue about it in threads.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #19
RV Tires No, Truck tires yes.

[Note: this is also posted on another thread about tires}

I'm a newbie but this hit home. My story. Oct 2010 bought my first RV, a 1999 Fleetwood Prowler which had been used 4 times and then sat for 10 years. Took it from Seattle to AZ for the winter. Tires didn't lose any air. Folks told me I was nuts for driving on 11 yr old tires. I researched new trailer tires and read lots of horror stories. Did find one that seemed to not have many complaints. The common thread was they were made in countries which no one could pronounce the names of. I learned what could happen if a blow out occurred. Can take out your whole wheel well and then some. Just before I left I decided to try the RV tires I had found. I pulled my rig into a Goodyear Store who had ordered them for me. Just after they jacked my trailer up to put on the tires, a 5th wheel pulled in. He had just bought new trailer tires at the Goodyear in Flagstaff and one had blown coming down I-17!!! Sure enough his wheel well and then some had been wrecked. I walked into the store and told the manager to forget the trailer tires and put on the best truck tires they had which turned out to be Michelans. I had to go to 16" rims but they got them. I also consoled but thanked the 5th wheel owner for showing me the error of my thinking. A year later I have had no trouble and they haven't even lost any air. Did it cost more. Yes. But I value the safety for my wife, myself and others let alone the peace of mind.
1999 27" Fleetwood Prowler
1996 Dodge 2500 5.9 Diesel
Zanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
FWIW, I have LT 235R85, LR "G" Sailun low boy trailer tires on my 5er. They specifically state " trailer use only".They are speed rated for 75 MPH.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote