Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Coachmen T/T was factory equipped with 14"bias ply tired load range C. They continued to wear as if they were under inflated . They were replaced with the next size up 215/14 again the tires wore the exact same way. I believe the tire size was to small for the loaded weight of the trailer therefore I opted to replace them with 15" tires there is plenty of clearance for them and greater weight load for the tires. Will keep you informed as to how they handle will be heading out for a Rally in a week or two. Loaded trailer weight is 6725 no water in the fresh water tank tow with Equalizer hitch with a F-250 V-10. Rig and truck set level.

MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
My only question is why would any manufacturer still use bias belted tires on their products instead of radial??? I spoke with a tire guy yesterday, who has been with Goodyear for 40 years and he knows tires. We discussed this very issue. His advice was that there is a place for the old bias belted tires. If you are driving in town, not expressway and are doing some off road like utility trailer stuff then bias belted tires are OK. They will take more abuse and if punctured on the side wall they can be repaired. But don't expect the bias tire to last very long on expressways and they will not give you any kind of a decent ride and fuel mileage will be awful. The bias tire has so much rolling resistance they will heat up a lot more and this causes faster wear. He also mentioned that the bias tire is only about $5 cheaper than a similar radial tire because they produce so few of them.
I do hope you opted for radial 15" tires.

Back in the early 80's I restored a 1953 GMC pick-up. It had a straight axle and bias tires on the front. Going home the first day it was all I could do to keep it on the road. The 10 miles home was white knuckle two handed driving. A week later I had radials on it and I could have driven home with two fingers on the steering wheel. I was shocked at the difference between the tires. That one situation convinced me forever of the value of radial tires.

TeJay

Old 08-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
My only question is why would any manufacturer still use bias belted tires on their products instead of radial??? TeJay
PRICE! It keeps the manufacturing cost down. $5.00 a tire makes a difference when you're purchasing thousands of tires every year.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
While I understand your point if we use that theory then lets not us the fridges that we have in our coaches. Lets just use the old ice box and get a block of ice to keep our stuff cold. Why not install 8-track players instead of CD's. Use the old very heavy TV's instead of the flat screen. Don't install the LED lighting even if it saves energy. When new technology surpasses the old we adopt the new because generally it is an improvement over the old. The point with the tires is this. Bias belted tires are very old technology that has been surpassed by the radial. The radial is everything the bias tire is not. Radials wear better, improve fuel mileage, handling, are safer and give a better ride.

If a manufacturer ships their TT's with bias belted tires they either think we are stupid or they are not very proud of their product.

TeJay JMHO
Old 08-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Why not install 8-track players instead of CD's.

TeJay JMHO
I think 8 track is what cowboy's use to have installed on their stage coaches, but what's a CD?

We use a iPhone or iPad connect via bluetooth. LOL!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #20

I agree that manufacturers will cut some corners to save costs. The first set of tires on our '08 didn't last a year (and not quite 1200 miles) before I noticed significant cracking along the sidewalls on 3 of the 4 tires. With the help of Keystone, the tire manufacturer sent me an entire new set, including spare. Within 1500 miles one of them lost a piece of tread (a chunk about 4" x 2") which I noticed the morning after we set up camp. I immediately started searching the Internet and found a Goodyear store close by. On our way to our next destination, I stopped and had a new set of Marathons installed, and never looked back. They have almost 10k on them and still look new.

So, my comments were offered due to my experience, and this isn't my first rodeo. That said, I would caution anyone from changing tire or wheel sizes unless you can prove that such a change actually improves the safety of the towed vehicle. If you do change either, and God forbid, have an issue during travel that could be related to the tires, that tire modification just may become the cause of you and your insurance adjuster not becoming friends.

Again, from experience. Not mine thankfully but another (now ex) RV'er I know.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have to have all the latest gadgets and gizmos and a CD will give you as good a quality of music as iphone or ipad and it costs nothing more. The player came as standard equipment on the coach. Also there are no monthly charges. I try very hard to not allow the phone companies gouge me any more than they already do. For decades they told us that it costs them more for long distance so they charged us for it. That was a flat lie. They just wanted more $$$$ and figured why not convince the consumer to pay, pay, and pay.

My original point was and still is If technology improves safety then that should be the standard not technology that is years behind. When a company gives me old technology that puts my $$$$ and life at risk they care about the bottom line and that's all.

TeJay
Old 08-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #22

Campnfools,
It is good you have had good luck with the Goodyear Marathons, here is a link to some comments on them:

Goodyear Marathon Tires*/ 489499

Can point you to several other trailer forums with similar comments about GY Marathons. I myself ran them on 2 previous TTs when they were still made in USA.
I cannot understand your reluctance to recognize that an upgrade in load range/size is an upgrade to safety in towing, but also realize it is your decision. When a trailer tire is run within 90-95% of its load rating, then shorter tire life is probably going to be the result.
Any tire can fail for a number of reasons, but the Chinese origin tires seem to always be in the rv forums with negative comments.
Having said the above, I am currently using Cooper Roadmaster 160 tires, made in China, on my Suites. They are at about 73% of capacity as to load--that's the kind of overcapacity that will give good tire life. And, they are an upsize to what came on the trailer as OEM and were at 91% of load rating.
What is the incident you refer to that happened to the now-ex RVer?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #23

Quote:
I don't have to have all the latest gadgets and gizmos and a CD will give you as good a quality of music as iphone or ipad and it costs nothing more. The player came as standard equipment on the coach. Also there are no monthly charges. I try very hard to not allow the phone companies gouge me any more than they already do. For decades they told us that it costs them more for long distance so they charged us for it. That was a flat lie. They just wanted more $$$$ and figured why not convince the consumer to pay, pay, and pay.

My original point was and still is If technology improves safety then that should be the standard not technology that is years behind. When a company gives me old technology that puts my $$$$ and life at risk they care about the bottom line and that's all.

TeJay
My original comment was light hearted sarcasm. Also, it does not cost anything to play the music that I own.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #24

Most of the ST tire manufacturers still build and provide bias trailer tires. Here is a reference from a popular ST manufacturer.

M8009 ST Bias

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know about the ST tires. Advertising can and does say things to sell. You can not substitute better rubber, special nylon carcass and better tread design, for radial construction. That is just a fact. Radial construction reduces internal friction which reduces heat which extends tire life, increases flexing of the side walls for improved ride, tire foot print (traction). If you have bias construction you have none of these advantages.

It's kind of like saying. I still use my old 33-1/3 record player and I have the best amplifier, cartridge and speakers available and I have great sounding music. When you start with grooves etched into a plastic disc you start with low quality sound recording. Your ending sound quality can only go so far especially if you throw into the mix the cost of improving the original low quality recording.

Bias belted tires start with old belt design technology and no amount of improvement will ever equal a radial design. They have their place, but its not on a TT designed for highway speeds, long trips, high heat, and expected long life. This is not just MHO but an opinion based on tire facts well known to tire builders.

Well then why do some owners and manufacturers still insist on using bias belted tires???

Let me remind you of a TRADITION started over 120 years ago. The tradition started for a very, very good reason but as of about 60 years ago that reason no longer exists. Yet even today we persist on keeping that tradition alive for no apparent good reason. Why? I believe it's because it is a TRADITION. That's what we've always done so why change it. What is that TRADITION?? We still continue to build girls bicycles with a lowered center bar. It was originally done back in the 1890's because girls wore very long skirts when they rode bicycles. When was the last time you saw a girl riding a bicycle with a long skirt??

Wanting to continue using 10W-40 motor oil is another TRADTION that took a long time to change.

TeJay
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #26

@Wingnut60 - I was unaware that the Marathons were not made in the US. As I said, I was presented a situation and had no other choice at the time then to buy the Marathons. Knock wood I have had good luck with them. I have read many comment about them since buying them but can't seem to find another tire that somewhere, on some thread or blog, stand total scrutiny. That in and of itself is a shame since safety is at risk in many cases.

I completely with you on load rating of the tires. My rig came with "D" tires and I put "E"'s on it. I was only referring to size. I didn't make that clear in my post.

Thanks for the mention of the tire you run. I will have to take a look at them and, revisit the entire ST market. Mine still look great and have plenty of tread on them but, I understand they should be changed every 3-4 years and, next year they'll be at the upper end of that age....
Old 08-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #27

Coopers Special Trailer tire warranty used to contain a statement that if their ST tires were not inflated to sidewall maximum the warranty was void. My link to that warranty is now dead, and I cannot find even a reference to ST tires on the Cooper website now. Wonder why?
Maxxis ST tire website now has a load/inflation chart, which reflects the minimum acceptable air pressure for the corresponding load; it's in the fine print. To me that means it may not be the optimum air pressure.
BTW, just because a tire says ST on the sidewall does not mean it is a Special Trailer tire these days, for instance, Firestone Discoverer ST tires are actually light truck/SUV tires.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure