Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #1

Tire pressure???

My tires only have a maximum psi (65)cold. I'm trying to find the best operating psi?
dhenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Unless you can find the mfgs load/inflation data, or your TT mfg has a reccommended inflation - you should use the information on the sidewall of the tire - ie the max pressure.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #3

Thanks Randy
dhenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #4

You'll also need to know the weight placed on each tire position & axle in order to adjust the PSI.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #5

Here's the quick and simple method to check for proper operating pressure:

Get an infrared (IR) temp gauge at Sears, HD, etc. When the tires are warmed up from driving, take a tempurature reading at each tire tread outer edge, and in the center of the tread. (3 shots per tire) If the outer temps are hotter than the center, the tire pressure is too low. If the center temp is higher, the pressure is too high. General numbers are about 1-2 psi difference for every 5 F temp difference.

This procedure should take all of three minutes to accomplish. The IR gauge is extremely handy to have around as well.
For those interested in having their RV handle as well as it can, these numbers are very useful for correcting toe-in, camber, etc.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #6

If you have ST-Special Trailer tires they must be inflated to sidewall maximum. http://www.carlisletire.com/product_...are_safety.pdf Carlisle Tire(top page 2) thinks this is so important they void the warranty if operated otherwise.
Nearly all OEM trailer tires are operating withing 10% of their maximum weight rating, thus the sidewall maximum inflation recommendations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
120F Is What We're Looking For

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Here's the quick and simple method to check for proper operating pressure:

Get an infrared (IR) temp gauge at Sears, HD, etc...

The result should be around 120F. According to another thread, damage may occur when the temp is above 180F.

I don't like inflating the tires to maximum: it is hard on the suspension, harsher riding, probably a greater chance of loosening your nuts. On the wheel, of course.

My hourly safety check is with an IR gage that cost me $15. I was 4 PSI low in a dolly tire, the temp registered 147F, compared to 120 +/- 10 on all the others.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #8

RVNeo--
Do I read you correctly that you stop hourly for a safety check?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenning View Post
My tires only have a maximum psi (65)cold. I'm trying to find the best operating psi?
It's on your tire placard. It's also in your owner's manual.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
My hourly safety check is with an IR gage that cost me $15. I was 4 PSI low in a dolly tire, the temp registered 147F, compared to 120 +/- 10 on all the others.
That alone is an excellent reason to keep ST tires inflated to sidewall maximum. Then there is the warranty issue.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That alone is an excellent reason to keep ST tires inflated to sidewall maximum. Then there is the warranty issue.
It's an even better reason to change to LT tires on your trailer. Even 120 degrees is and indicator that your tires may be overloaded. When I travel I periodically stop and check my tires. They are never more than warm to the touch. At 120 degrees, it would not be possible to keep your hand on them for more than about a second.

It had never occurred to me to use a laser thermometer to check my tires. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll throw mine in the truck next time I hit the road.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote