Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #15

The simplistic rule of thumb of running ST tires at Max rating isn't all that far off. Trailer manufacturers put just enough tire capacity to get the trailer out the door. So Max pressure is probably the correct pressure to use.

But if the tires are replaced with larger capacity tires, then Max pressure is not correct.

The advantage of larger tires is having margins. Any device not running at max ratings will last longer. Larger rated ties with enough pressure for the load will run easier.

You cannot expect to raise the trailer load with just the tires. The axles, springs, shock, and frame are all limitations.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #16

Thanks for all the responses but respectfully the question is-
higher capacity tires carrying a lower weight load inflated to the pressure for the load, will that cause more sidewall flexing and/or be a cause for tire/shoulder/tread separation?

Follow on corollary question-
As the tire is part of the "ride" equation,
take a D rated 205 75 15 ST at 65 psi and compare to an LT 215 15 and you find that the LT has only @50 lbs less weight capacity than the ST but it does it at 47 psi

Softer tire, more shock absorption of road bumps means less jarring of the TT and contents going down the road
Whats wrong with this theory? Are we beating out TTs to death with high pressure tires?
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
According to these charts ST tires can be inflated to various pressure depending upon the load.
No.

According to those charts the particular GOODYEAR tires can be inflated to various pressures depending on the load. That chat means nothing to my tires they aren't GOODYEAR products.

The folks that made and/or sold my tires would be expected to tell me that any damage to my tires from using a GOODYEAR load table is all on me.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Thanks for all the responses but respectfully the question is-
higher capacity tires carrying a lower weight load inflated to the pressure for the load, will that cause more sidewall flexing and/or be a cause for tire/shoulder/tread separation?
Cliffy,
Yes, and ask the manufacturer of the tire.

The ST tires seem only constructed to carry weight when properly inflated, and if the manufacturer gives you no load chart, you have nothing to go by for a reduced pressure. Trying to include ST tires at a lower inflation pressure in some idea that may "soften" the ride could lead to disaster, even if the manufacturer says that X pressure is OK for Y weight.

What would you prefer: less risk or a softer ride? It just might be those are your only choices in the matter.

It's your stuff. Do as you like as long as you harm no one.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
No.

According to those charts the particular GOODYEAR tires can be inflated to various pressures depending on the load. That chat means nothing to my tires they aren't GOODYEAR products.

The folks that made and/or sold my tires would be expected to tell me that any damage to my tires from using a GOODYEAR load table is all on me.
Sorry - did not know what brand of tires you use. I just picked the first two brands based on a search for "ST tire inflation chart". If you have a brand name tire there will likely be an applicable inflation chart for them.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We'll see. These tires, despite being essentially no-name "China-bombs", have been great so far. The next set will be a major brand name tire of the same load rating.

And I'll probably still inflate them to max sidewall pressure.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
We'll see. These tires, despite being essentially no-name "China-bombs", have been great so far. The next set will be a major brand name tire of the same load rating.

And I'll probably still inflate them to max sidewall pressure.
Won't hurt I am sure. May get a bit rougher ride. Tires will age out before they mile out so wearing a bit extra in the center if overinflated will not be an issue.

More important IMO is to have the tires balanced. Just got back from the tire store. Put 9 oz on one of the tires.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #22

Load inflation charts are standardized by size. The TRA standardizes them. However, sometimes there are exceptions. The ST235/80R16E is standardized to 3420#. That tire size is manufactured in three distinct load capacities, 3420#, 3500# and 3520#, all at 80 PSI. Without documentation from the vehicle manufacturer as to the specific load capacity tires used as OEM on a specific fitment they all default to 3420#.

IMO fooling around with tire inflation pressures on RV trailers is asking for trouble. The vast majority of their builders support maximum sidewall pressures.

Replacement tires with higher load capacities than the OE tires requires them to be inflated to a PSI value that will provide equal or greater load capacity compared to the OE tire. But, what was the reason for getting the higher capacity tire? More load capacity, right? The only way to get the higher load capacity is by tire inflation. Five PSI above the OE tires PSI may be all the reserve load capacity you are seeking. Still, up in load capacity with a load range increase in the ST tire design should call for max sidewall pressure inflation.

Under inflation is our number one enemy, why risk it with tires that are clearly recommended for max inflation? It’s not an automotive vehicle, it’s a follow-along vehicle with tires subjected to severe sidewall stresses.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Load inflation charts are standardized by size. The TRA standardizes them.
That may be so, but is the TRA gonna replace my tires if I follow a load table from a manufacturer that is different from the tires I own? I think we all know what the answer is to that question.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #24

Quote:
That may be so, but is the TRA gonna replace my tires if I follow a load table from a manufacturer that is different from the tires I own? I think we all know what the answer is to that question.
Standardized load inflation charts are a normal tool for vehicle manufacturers and tire replacement retailers. Can you imagine a large discount tire retailer having to use a separate load inflation chart for every tire manufacturer they represent? With very few exceptions load inflation charts for like sized and like designed tires for all brands will be identical. Those exceptions are known to the professionals that apply load inflations.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Just checked the tires on our trailer.

We have 6000 lb axles (lightest option) loaded to approximately 4500 lbs. The tires supplied are ST23585R16 load range G. Inflation on the tire is 4020@110 lbs.

Inflating to max capacity is overkill and impractical.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Standardized load inflation charts are a normal tool for vehicle manufacturers and tire replacement retailers. Can you imagine a large discount tire retailer having to use a separate load inflation chart for every tire manufacturer they represent? With very few exceptions load inflation charts for like sized and like designed tires for all brands will be identical. Those exceptions are known to the professionals that apply load inflations.
Prove it.

Then tell me who to go to for the warranty on my tires if I follow any manufacturer's load table for my tire size and load range stamped on the sidewall. You don't even need to know who made my tires if this is an industry wide standard, and any load table will do as long as it is formulated for my tire size and load range as stamped on the sidewall.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Prove it.

Then tell me who to go to for the warranty on my tires if I follow any manufacturer's load table for my tire size and load range stamped on the sidewall. You don't even need to know who made my tires if this is an industry wide standard, and any load table will do as long as it is formulated for my tire size and load range as stamped on the sidewall.
You don't even need to know who made my tires if this is an industry wide standard, and any load table will do as long as it is formulated for my tire size and load range as stamped on the sidewall.

That's right

What's the warranty got to do with it? Warranties are interested in over/under inflation. Follow the recommendations in the owner's manual or on the placards and your covered.

Tire installers set new recommended tire inflation pressures - if needed. When they do that they are supposed to tell you what the new inflation pressures are and fill out an auxiliary tire placard and post it next to the original tire placard.

Note: An under-inflated tire has a cold inflation pressure below vehicle manufacturer's recommendations. An over-inflated tire has a cold inflation pressure above what is listed on the tire's sidewall.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Proof of industry-wide acceptance of load tables please? That's what I'm asking for.

This is serious business right here. It affects safety, longevity, overall usefulness of a product and what it is suited for. This is not an area I am gonna fool around in, especially when it comes to my safety and my wallet. If the load tables for my size tire and load range as stamped on the sidewall are accepted industry wide, then running at the suggested load table pressure (less than max pressure for the ST tires on my trailer) for my actual tire loadings will not void any warranty by not properly inflating the tire no matter whose load table I'm reading.

I only ask for proof of the claim you made. If you have it, great. A link would be nice so I can see it myself. If you can't, just say so, and this is over. After all, there is a lot at stake with improper loading and inflation of tires on vehicles on public roads, wouldn't you agree, and just taking someone's word isn't good enough?

Tags
engine