Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Proof of industry-wide acceptance of load tables please? That's what I'm asking for.

This is serious business right here. It affects safety, longevity, overall usefulness of a product and what it is suited for. This is not an area I am gonna fool around in, especially when it comes to my safety and my wallet. If the load tables for my size tire and load range as stamped on the sidewall are accepted industry wide, then running at the suggested load table pressure (less than max pressure for the ST tires on my trailer) for my actual tire loadings will not void any warranty by not properly inflating the tire no matter whose load table I'm reading.

I only ask for proof of the claim you made. If you have it, great. A link would be nice so I can see it myself. If you can't, just say so, and this is over. After all, there is a lot at stake with improper loading and inflation of tires on vehicles on public roads, wouldn't you agree, and just taking someone's word isn't good enough?
To give a complete answer to your primary question would be quite lengthy and incomplete if I were to write it. Mainly because I’m not a member of the Tire & Rim Association. Their manuals are - in part - confidential and only members can purchase them new. Even used ones are expensive and not really necessary for the layman information I provide on my tire/rim postings.

I’m going to include a document from another contributor to tire industry standards and regulations. It’s from the Rubber Manufacturer’s Association (RMA). Even it’s references to the TRA manual is old (2004) and does not address trailer tires so the steel cased LT235/85R15G is not found because it’s a trailer tire.

If you go to the online Goodyear load inflation PDF you will see that it’s also old (2005) and does not include major changes implemented on the 2007 NHTSA rules changes.

In this RMA reference you will find that even the RMA has included TRA information they asked permission to print.

The bottom line is; vehicle owners use load inflation charts because they can be found on the internet. But for what reason? Vehicle owners do not set recommended tire inflation pressures.

Vehicle manufacturer’s are the only ones authorized to set Original Equipment recommended (correct) cold tire inflation pressures. Here is what the regulation says. Tire fitments: The size designation and the recommended cold inflation pressure for those tires such that the sum of the load ratings of the tires on each axle is appropriate for the GAWR.

That short statement sets the standard for that vehicle and all subsequent replacement tires.

Tire industry standards, the TRA & RMA do not recommend design changes with replacement tires. The may support plus sizing but will always ask the owner to first seek recommendations from their vehicle manufacturer.

Remember, all Automotive tires and RV trailer tires are fitted in accordance with the same FMVSS regulations (standards), and with few exceptions are identical.

Note: Rims are certified by the SAE.

http://octopup.org/img/car/tires/Rub...ruck-Tires.pdf
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the more concise info. I appreciate that it took you some time to type all that out. I am sincerely grateful for the info, and I might not be able to look it over until the weekend. For right now, I am focusing on the new job that I started last week, and it and my wonderful dog are taking quite a bit of my time.

Again, thank you. I like the technical stuff, I always learn stuff!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #31

When tires are cold , you inflate to max pressure. Tires heat up , 3-5 lbs more than max
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
According to these charts ST tires can be inflated to various pressure depending upon the load.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA
Says who? Charts are not developed for that purpose. The correct inflation pressures for tires fitted and installed under FMVSS standards are on the tire placard and in your vehicle's owner's manual.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfloyd View Post
When tires are cold , you inflate to max pressure. Tires heat up , 3-5 lbs more than max
The vehicle manufacturer's recommended tire inflation pressure is the proper psi when a tire is cold, meaning it has not been driven on for at least three hours. To get an accurate tire pressure reading, you must measure tire pressure when the tires are cold.

Inflation pressures increasing because of highway usage are factored into every certified tire.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:23 AM   #34

Interesting, enlightening answers. Most comments I knew but some I didn't. Nice to round out some more education from the knowledgeable folks on this board.

I have another tire question but I will start a new thread with it.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Since the document was TL;DR, I searched for the following terms:
ST
trailer
travel trailer

I found nothing that even suggested that ST tires fall into any recommendations made in that document.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Since the document was TL;DR, I searched for the following terms:
ST
trailer
travel trailer

I found nothing that even suggested that ST tires fall into any recommendations made in that document.
Tire safety and tire industry standards are applicable for all DOT certified tires installed as original equipment under the FMVSS standards. Some standards differ from design to design - like degrading the load capacity for the use of passenger tires on pick-up trucks or trailers - but the establishment and application of recommended inflation pressures does not.

Tags
engine