Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #15

Wow, a 99mph speed rating, I would have bet that there weren't any sold in the U.S. for a trailer.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Yeah, I can only imagine how hairy that would be towing a TT at those speeds. But that will give a nice comfort zone of safety when we want to nudge it over 65
Old 05-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #17

The speed rating is a very important factor when computing the longevity for ST tires.

Almost all ST tires have a 65 MPH speed restriction placed on them by their manufacturers and supported by the tire industry.

At 65 MPH the ST tire is using 100% of it’s load capacity. So when traveling faster with them you are causing the tire to degrade faster than normal. Pretty soon it will start to overheat and degrade even faster until it starts to lose its tread. Ultimately it will lose the entire tread and most often the carcass will fail right as, or just after the tread departs.

The ST tire is predicted to last 3-5 years. Mileage is probably not going to be a factor. There are a lot of IF factors in that 3-5 year prediction. One of those IFs is pretty consistent, If you consistently speed over 65 MPH with your ST tires they are not going to last 3 years.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
True Cypressloser, Im not looking to be able to go 99 MPH though, just want a little more comfort zone if I push it to 70 before hitting a big hill.

My camper list tire sizes as 205/75R14C, but those tires are only listed as 205R14C. How do I know if the sidewall height is correct? Maybe Im missing something here
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you would go 100mph with the trailer in tow, what I am trying to say is that the manufacturers only install the bare minimum to keep it legal.
Sorry, but I can't help you with the sidewall height on those tires though you have it quoted in your OEM tire size. Have you ever considered upgrading to a 16" tire if that's even possible.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
The speed rating is a very important factor when computing the longevity for ST tires.

Almost all ST tires have a 65 MPH speed restriction placed on them by their manufacturers and supported by the tire industry.

At 65 MPH the ST tire is using 100% of it’s load capacity. So when traveling faster with them you are causing the tire to degrade faster than normal. Pretty soon it will start to overheat and degrade even faster until it starts to lose its tread. Ultimately it will lose the entire tread and most often the carcass will fail right as, or just after the tread departs.

The ST tire is predicted to last 3-5 years. Mileage is probably not going to be a factor. There are a lot of IF factors in that 3-5 year prediction. One of those IFs is pretty consistent, If you consistently speed over 65 MPH with your ST tires they are not going to last 3 years.

FastEagle
You are correct about the life expectancy of ST tires, when you change them out after lets say 5 years you will always find someone who is willing to pay half price to use them on a cargo trailer or so. This makes the decision even easier not to take chances with old tires on an RV.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #20

With 14 inch tires your selection is less than 15's and much less than 16's. You can go with Lt truck tires but not many in 14 inch sizes. There aren't many in 15 either that will fit a trailers limited clearances. My next trailer if I do change will have 16 inch which gives more tire options. All you need to do is check the width and height of various sizes and determine if they will fit. I'm assuming you have 5 on 4 1/2 bolt spacing so should be easy to swap for 15 inch rims. That would be the first step. You can't move to a 16 inch tire because those rims are 6 hole and you would need new axles, cheaper to trade for a rig with 16 rims.
Personally I enjoy poking along at 55 and looking at the scenery. I'm never in a hurry to arrive because a lot of great things happen on the trip itself.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #21

Change them to at least range d, better still E. If they are Chinese tires, change them for sure. I have seen damage to Trailers from blowouts, They can make a mess. It is also a good idea to buy a tire monitoring system. It will alert you to sudden pressure changes and overheating. I would not be without one. Especially with a dually as I have no idea if an inside dual goes soft otherwise.
Paul Beddows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #22

Why would he need load range E tires on a 20' travel trailer? Isn't that a little overkill as far as loading goes? But I'm still learning and willing to listen. I like the idea of a 99mph rated tire. That tells me that it (properly loaded and inflated) should sail along at 60 or so and not be likely to overheat, squirm, blow out and all those other undesirable things. If they made them in 225X15, I would get them.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #23

You don't, but this is a case of "no tire is too much tire". A blown trailer tire can, and usually does, physical damage to the unit and they are sitting a long way back. If you have dual axles you may not even be aware one has blown until there is considerable damage. Apart from brakes they are the prime safety consideration.

I have D's, I would not consider C's
Paul Beddows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #24

Nor'easters Club
as long as the size fits, I will probably go with the load D rated for 99. But I need to find out about the rims first and see if they can take the extra pressure