Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Tire Size ?

Our new Jayco came with junk tires on it, It came with ST 175/80R/13 6 ply rated tires, the name on the tires are Power King - Tow Max.

I am gone to replace them with Maxxis M8008 ST Radials.

Here is my question. As I said it has ST 175/80R/13 6 ply rated tires, Do you see any problems gone with 185/80R13 6 ply rated tires.

Here are the spec.
Tire Size 175/80R13

Ply Rating 6

Overall Diameter (inches) 24.1

Overall Width (inches) 7.10

Max Load (lbs) 1,360
Max Psi 50
Tread Depth (inches) 9/32

Tire Size 185/80R13

Ply Rating 6

Overall Diameter (inches) 24.7

Overall Width (inches) 7.40

Max Load (lbs) 1,480
Max Psi 50
Tread Depth (inches) 9/32

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
CD

What is the size, GVWR and weight of your TT. Going by the OEM tires the GVWR should be less than 3K.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #3

Tow Max tires IMO, are one of the better ST brands. Your best source is to run a search for Tow Max tire problems, read the results and decide if you really want to just change brands. IMO most ST tire failures are the result of overloading/underinflation. The Rubber Manufacturer Association says over 80% of all tire failures are the result of underinflation/overloading. With the exception of Maxiss, all ST tire manufacturers say to keep them inflated to sidewall maximum. You will note all tire inflation charts reflect the minimum inflation for the listed load, not the optimum.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #4

If your clearances are so close you canít calculate them with those statistics maybe you should call Jayco and get their recommendations.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #5

Never tried Tow Max, but Maxxis, Titan, Denman and Goodyear all separated or blew on my 5er. The only problem I see is you're still going to have ST tires.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchpin View Post
As I said it has ST 175/80R/13 6 ply rated tires, Do you see any problems gone with 185/80R13 6 ply rated tires.
The only problem might be clearance for the bigger tires in the wheelwell.

The stock tires have a max weight capacity of 1360 pounds or a max trailer GVWR of about 3,000 pounds. The 185/80R13 has a weight capacity of 1,480 pounds, or a max trailer GVWR of 3,256.

Stock trailer tires never have enough fudge factor, thus resulting in frequent tire failures. I always try to install tires (and wheels) with at least 25% more weight capacity than the stock setup.

1360+25% = 1700

So I'd want tires/wheels rated for at least 1700 pounds. ST205/75R14 has 1760 pounds weight capacity. Measure carefully and see if your wheelwells can accommodate tires that are about an inch closer to the top of the wheelwell and a half inch closer to the inside and outside walls of the wheelwell. If they can, then go for ST205/75R14 tires on 6" wide 14" wheels. If your hubs have the standard 5 on 4.5" lug pattern, you can get the wheels for as low as $25.16 each if you buy 5 from
Southwest Wheel Company

14x6 White Spoke Trailer Wheel
5-4.5" Bolt Circle (2 5/8" Center to Center)
3.195" Center Hole
1870 lb. load rating
Trailer Use Only

Note that Southwest Wheel also has those same wheels mounted with Goodyear Marathon or cheaper import brand trailer tires for a good price. Discount Tire sells Maxxis brand trailer tires, and that's the brand I usually buy. But I usually have to order my trailer tires from Discount Tire because they do not keep them in stock.

Get Maxxis 205/75-14 Tires in the West Texas Area at Discount Tire - Discount Tire/America's Tire
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
What is the size, GVWR and weight of your TT. Going by the OEM tires the GVWR should be less than 3K.[/QUOTE]

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0066 (2).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	16831[QUOTE=CD;1049395]
Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The only problem might be clearance for the bigger tires in the wheelwell.

The stock tires have a max weight capacity of 1360 pounds or a max trailer GVWR of about 3,000 pounds. The 185/80R13 has a weight capacity of 1,480 pounds, or a max trailer GVWR of 3,256.

Stock trailer tires never have enough fudge factor, thus resulting in frequent tire failures. I always try to install tires (and wheels) with at least 25% more weight capacity than the stock setup.

1360+25% = 1700

So I'd want tires/wheels rated for at least 1700 pounds. ST205/75R14 has 1760 pounds weight capacity. Measure carefully and see if your wheelwells can accommodate tires that are about an inch closer to the top of the wheelwell and a half inch closer to the inside and outside walls of the wheelwell. If they can, then go for ST205/75R14 tires on 6" wide 14" wheels. If your hubs have the standard 5 on 4.5" lug pattern, you can get the wheels for as low as $25.16 each if you buy 5 from
Southwest Wheel Company

14x6 White Spoke Trailer Wheel
5-4.5" Bolt Circle (2 5/8" Center to Center)
3.195" Center Hole
1870 lb. load rating
Trailer Use Only

Note that Southwest Wheel also has those same wheels mounted with Goodyear Marathon or cheaper import brand trailer tires for a good price. Discount Tire sells Maxxis brand trailer tires, and that's the brand I usually buy. But I usually have to order my trailer tires from Discount Tire because they do not keep them in stock.

Get Maxxis 205/75-14 Tires in the West Texas Area at Discount Tire - Discount Tire/America's Tire

I know I don't have room for 14" tires, that sure would be nice if I did.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #9

This is one of the best warranties found for ST tires. You should read it over before changing tires.

http://towmaxtires.com/tires/Landing.aspx?application=warranty

Towmax also has a free roadside assistance program.

http://towmaxtires.com/catalogs/towm...assistance.pdf

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
CD

If I read your label right, your OEM tires and the axle rating are the same. To load to the GVWR you will need to load to 15% on the tounge which is considered heavy. What is your wet weight? That is the actual weight full of water, propane etc. Subtract that from the GVWR and you know how much clothes, food etc. you can add.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #11

Towmax trailer tires are warranted against failures due to defects in workmanship and materials.

What's so good about that? Isn't that the same as all tires, and just about anything else you buy?
A road hazard warranty will cover nails and overloading, the major cause of tire failure.

WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS(Did we miss anything)

• tires installed on a trailer registered or normally used outside the United States and Canada
  • the tire was transferred to another vehicle after it was originally installed
  • the tire is branded as "Blemish" or "NA" or the molded DOT number has been removed or disfigured
  • the tire was repaired only with a self-vulcanizing plug, improper section repairs or in a manner that does not comply with Rubber Manufacturers Association standards
  • tire failures caused by road hazard, potholes, or collision damage
  • vandalism, theft, off-road use, long-term improper storage or other abuse
  • improper mounting procedures or applications
  • over and under inflation, overloading, or failure to maintain proper tire pressure
  • addition of liquids, solids or gases (other than air, nitrogen, carbon dioxide) such as sealers or balancing materials
  • ozone or weather cracks or checking occurring four (4) years after the date of purchase or, if that proof is not available, four (4) years after the DOT serial date
  • mechanical failures, improper alignment, or brake and shock failure
  • the wheel on which the tire is mounted is defective or fails
  • tires with "irregular treadwear" (which is defined as a tread groove depth difference of 2/32nds of an inch or more on the same tire)
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #12

Plumbing question

I know this is not about tires, but I cannot find help in where to start a new post. I have a leak in the drain of the kitchen sink and am trying to find where
to get a diagram so I can start troubleshooting the problem. I am a rookie having just recently purchasing my 2003 Fleetwood Mallard 20'.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Towmax trailer tires are warranted against failures due to defects in workmanship and materials.

What's so good about that? Isn't that the same as all tires, and just about anything else you buy?
A road hazard warranty will cover nails and overloading, the major cause of tire failure.

WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS(Did we miss anything)

• tires installed on a trailer registered or normally used outside the United States and Canada
  • the tire was transferred to another vehicle after it was originally installed
  • the tire is branded as "Blemish" or "NA" or the molded DOT number has been removed or disfigured
  • the tire was repaired only with a self-vulcanizing plug, improper section repairs or in a manner that does not comply with Rubber Manufacturers Association standards
  • tire failures caused by road hazard, potholes, or collision damage
  • vandalism, theft, off-road use, long-term improper storage or other abuse
  • improper mounting procedures or applications
  • over and under inflation, overloading, or failure to maintain proper tire pressure
  • addition of liquids, solids or gases (other than air, nitrogen, carbon dioxide) such as sealers or balancing materials
  • ozone or weather cracks or checking occurring four (4) years after the date of purchase or, if that proof is not available, four (4) years after the DOT serial date
  • mechanical failures, improper alignment, or brake and shock failure
  • the wheel on which the tire is mounted is defective or fails
  • tires with "irregular treadwear" (which is defined as a tread groove depth difference of 2/32nds of an inch or more on the same tire)
I was thinking the very same thing! To many if's
Old 01-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
This is one of the best warranties found for ST tires. You should read it over before changing tires.

http://towmaxtires.com/tires/Landing.aspx?application=warranty

Towmax also has a free roadside assistance program.

http://towmaxtires.com/catalogs/towm...assistance.pdf

FastEagle
They are talking about STR not ST, I have ST tires.
I think the STR tire is a new tire that they have put out.