Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Tire temp?

I've only towed the new camper about 60 miles total so far (dealership to campground) but it seemed that the tires were noticeably warmer than on my older camper while traveling. These are 225/75/15ST load range D for a 9600lb camper (dry weight on sticker). Speed was kept to 60mph max. I'll be swapping these for the Michelin XPS LT225/75/16 load range E from the other camper later this fall but need to tow the new one 1200 miles loaded next week on the original tires. I'll be getting it weighed before leaving but do ST tires run "warmer" or just a case of not enough tire (which I already know is the case). Am I overthinking this?
Obewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #2

Weight of the trailer & correct pressure in the tires . You need both before you push the panic button.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Guess I forgot to mention this was a tow from the dealer empty (Dry weight 9600lbs) and I did check pressures before leaving.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #4

I use a TPMS that also displays temperatures. I have noticed that the sunny side runs quite a bit hotter if it is exposed to the sun for most of the time.

Get a temperature gun from Harbor Freight and check tires and hubs often to head off a failure.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I use a TPMS that also displays temperatures. I have noticed that the sunny side runs quite a bit hotter if it is exposed to the sun for most of the time.

Get a temperature gun from Harbor Freight and check tires and hubs often to head off a failure.

ST Tires will still fail regardless of you checking the tires for heat or not. I had one fail 10 min’s after leaving the camp ground; tires were not even up to their operating temps for the day. I check the air pressure and wheel lug nut torque every morning before starting out for that days travel. The ST tire that failed was relatively new only a couple hundred miles on the tire say less than 1,000.

I have an infrared heat gun too and check the tires every2 hours when traveling. I have found tire temperatures will vary all day long. So what I look for are difference between the two tires on the same side; if one tire is more than 10 DEG’S warmer than something maybe wrong with that tire and should be checked out.

Jim W.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #6

Tires are designed to handle normal temp gains when aired to maximum psi listed on tire. If the tire can handle the load on it, and the psi is correct, then any temp gain from friction heat should be manageable.
9600 dry probably is higher as towed. Trailer mfgs are known for putting the minimum capacity tire for the weight carried--you are correct in putting the Es on the trailer.
For a reference point, my TST pressure/temp monitor is factory set not to alarm until temp hits 157d--and if it ever got that high, the pressure alarm would have sounded long before.
A IR gun is a good investment for both tires and hubs.
For the 1200 mile tow, just keep it slow and be sure tires are aired to the 65? psi rating.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obewan View Post
I've only towed the new camper about 60 miles total so far (dealership to campground) but it seemed that the tires were noticeably warmer than on my older camper while traveling. These are 225/75/15ST load range D for a 9600lb camper (dry weight on sticker). Speed was kept to 60mph max. I'll be swapping these for the Michelin XPS LT225/75/16 load range E from the other camper later this fall but need to tow the new one 1200 miles loaded next week on the original tires. I'll be getting it weighed before leaving but do ST tires run "warmer" or just a case of not enough tire (which I already know is the case). Am I overthinking this?
When you say the tires seemed noticeably warmer than the old tires are you comparing the same tire?

The ST tire is designed for trailer use and has a stiffer sidewall to provide sideways stability for trailers.

The LT tire has a softer sidewall so would produce less heat than the ST.

Were the tires unreasonably hot to the touch? Or just warm?

If the tires were not HOT you should be able to safely use them for years to come as long as the recommended tire pressure is maintained.

A quick check on the web for the tires show that the 225/75/15 ST is a bias tire with a load rating of 2540 @ 65 lbs. If the dry weight is 9500 and you add water, propane, a few beers in the fridge you will be at or over the max of the tire ratings.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
A quick check on the web for the tires show that the 225/75/15 ST is a bias tire with a load rating of 2540 @ 65 lbs. If the dry weight is 9500 and you add water, propane, a few beers in the fridge you will be at or over the max of the tire ratings.
Of the 9600# weight, only about 8350 is carried on the tires. Thirteen percent or so is on the ball. Given that, the cargo capacity is about 1800#based upon tire rating. It would take a lot of beer to exceed the tire capacity..
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Hmm - I wonder if he will share? (the beer).

Actually if you add 50+ gallons of water, 60 lbs of propane as well as clothing, some food, etc you would be right back up to dry weight. It would really help to know the GVW of the trailer.

But in the interest of being neighbourly I think we should help him lighten the load.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
I do share beer! And the GVW is 11000 lbs. I was comparing the temps of LT tires on my old trailer to the ST tires on this trailer and the explanation above makes sense. The tires weren't "hot", just warmer than I was used to.

Interesting enough, one of the tires was damaged from a screw while in transit from Indiana. The dealer replaced it with a same brand/size load range E tire. Now I have 3 load range D and one E all aired to 65lbs.