Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonr View Post
Tightening up sway control should help, but it wouldn't hurt to have a few more LB's of tongue weight. 300LBS is below the recommended 10-15% for that trailer.

300 lbs was tongue weight of trailer before I put weight distribution arms. I grabbed 2 links . So it was probably even less . I need to read and tune weight distribution hitch.
I'm going to wait because I just ordered a hide a spare setup and plan on mounting between tongue and wheels. Just s little more money .. Ok promise honey just need to order one more thing . Ok this is positively the last thing.. Lol

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #16

Tire Upgrade Wildwood X-Lite 185RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Think about it, for you it was a personal choice to redesign your trailer and make it look like it does now. Why not just purchase a trailer more suitable to your needs. Trailer manufacturers build to an established market. I'm sure one of them has a design closer to what you wanted without having to modify it.

You didn't have to jack that trailer up like that. With a little more research you could have found more suitable tires. There are plenty of 14" commercial tires with load capacities up to 2270# with speed ratings 75 MPH and higher.

All I could find were Chinese made tires.
I really should have purchased a tandem axle rig and would have felt more comfortable with lower grade tires but I was already vested in this camper and it depreciated when I drove it off lot. But I am regretting not researching more before pulling trigger.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
It doesn't make any difference if the tire is a 2 ply nylon tire made in Mongolia or a 16 ply rating steel body tire made in Akron Ohio. If you don't run the air needed to support the load you can/will get a blowout. Steel fails from fatigue of over flexing - See "Zipper" failure. Nylon or Polyester melts from over flexing as seen in this "blowout"

I understand the difficulty with the 14" tire size but there are European "commercial" tires in the market that would fit 14" wheel.

Having said all the above. What inflation are you going to run in your steel body "10 ply" tire and how are you going to ensure you never have a slow leak while driving?

Probably 65 psi and I purchased steel valve stems and I will just check at every fuel stop.
Since camper only weighs 3440 lbs
Old 05-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeffernan View Post
Probably 65 psi and I purchased steel valve stems and I will just check at every fuel stop.
Since camper only weighs 3440 lbs
For your weight 65 is sufficient to carry the load but to reduce Interply Shear you should run tire rating which is 80 psi.

Checking air each morning and every fuel stop is going to get old real fast and it will not help if you get a puncture while driving and end up with a Run Low Flex Failure.

TPMS is the only way to go.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #19

I took camper out for a little test run and had tires at 70 psi on the way there and 65 psi . Got back and noticed a slight discoloration. is this a result of overheating or is this normal? Bearings are good brakes or good . No resistance on axle.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Meh my China bombs are wokign fine. Even maxxis and goodyear are foreign made.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
Meh my China bombs are wokign fine. Even maxxis and goodyear are foreign made.

That's terrific. I hope you have continued success and safe travels.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeffernan View Post
I took camper out for a little test run and had tires at 70 psi on the way there and 65 psi . Got back and noticed a slight discoloration.

snip

is this a result of overheating or is this normal? Bearings are good brakes or good . No resistance on axle.
70 psi doesn't sound like the MAX pressure molded on the tire sidewall of any Load Range I know of. Are you running +5psi over a LR-D tire with 65 psi MAX or are you running under-inflated on what I thought you had... LR-E tires.

No idea about overheating as you left out the important information like average ambient temperature, load on each tire, avg and max travel speed and length of time at speed.

The color looks like the normal surface of a relatively new tire with what is called "Wax Bloom" or the result of anti-ozone materials working to the surface to give the tire UV and Ozone protection. Removal of this will of course decrease the protection and increase the long term damage to the surface of the tire.

You can help protect your tires from UV and more importantly excess heat with the use of white tire covers if you do not store the RV indoors.

You may be focusing on minor items and ignoring the "best practices" that can produce meaningful positive results in tire longevity.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #23
RPr

Let keep one thing in mind. Good, better, or best, any tire is going to go flat if you hit a road hazard. It is going to shred if you drive long enough.

How many of the China bombs flats were the result of tire failure vs. road hazards is not known.

We make the assumption that when a tire fails it was flawed, this may not be the case.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #24

Tire Upgrade Wildwood X-Lite 185RB

Tire man I contacted tire rack and they basically said the same thing as you its just a sheen oil coming to surface.

"Thank you for your patience while I looked into this with our tire techs. They saw your pictures and said that this is an example of the natural oils coming out of the rubber. It will put a sheen on the tire but does not affect the performance. It is similar to Michelin tires which show a whitish color when the oils show through. They are perfectly safe to drive on."

According to michelins website
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/refer...tion-tables/#/
and with the load I'm carrying I could run 45 psi but trailer is pulling fine at 70psi so the closer to max load psi. Would produce "best practices" for life expectancy and safety.
I just ordered these from Amazon
CARCHET TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring System+4 External Sensors Cigarette Lighter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012AEFDSC..._ptyrxbJVMFYFK
Looking for tire covers next

I know any tire could fail. I'm just trying to give my family the best chance in the roads. Thanks for everyone's input and help

Tags
upgrade