Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #1

Tire Upgrade Wildwood X-Lite 185RB

We recently purchased a wildwood x-lite 185rb at a rv show and looking back we should have researched everything a little more.
We decided on the 185rb due to its low weight which tows great behind our 4door Jeep Wrangler.
The problem I thought of and didn't research till after we put ink to paper was the single axle and effects of a blowout should one occur. So I decided to install a over/under axle kit which gave me the necessary clearance for a larger wheel and better tire.
I went from a Chinese produced C rated 14 inch tire (unknown name brand) weighing 39lbs to a United States produced e rated 10 ply 16 inch tire (Michelin xps rib) weighing double at 82 lbs.
I know some will say that it's overkill but I want to have best chance of not having a blowout. I'm wondering if any complications will occur by putting such a heavy duty tire on a 3500lb rated axle. Tongue height matches my lifted jeep receiver so height is good and I don't see camper being too top heavy with these tires?!?
Did I do the right thing or will this be a problem waiting to happen?
I would like to hear everyone's opinion.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #2

You sound like me. Why replace a 2X4 with a 2X6 when that 4X6 is just sitting there? I think the only issue you may have is the weight of the new tires and the effects of an out of balance tire. Just make sure they are balanced and you have some good insurance there in my minds eye.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #3

Exactly you either go big or Stay home. I feel like a pharmaceutical company in that I fix one problem and it creates another one .. But there's a fix for that problem but then it may cause another problem but there's a fix for that... Etc etc. haha
Old 05-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #4

Well played, no such thing as too much peace of mind
Old 05-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All the tire swap outs in the world could be made into a complete waste of money if you still have a blow out due to not having TPMS that can warn you of some impending problems.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #6

My wheels allow for tpms.. Wonder if my jeep would pick up signal from trailer wheels. Will have to look into

Besides my tow vehicle getting only 8 mpg I will be stopping often. Lol
Old 05-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #7

Your Jeep will not pick up the signal from a trailer after market air pressure system. The system comes with a small, dash mounted monitor/readout.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeffernan View Post
We recently purchased a wildwood x-lite 185rb at a rv show and looking back we should have researched everything a little more.
We decided on the 185rb due to its low weight which tows great behind our 4door Jeep Wrangler.
The problem I thought of and didn't research till after we put ink to paper was the single axle and effects of a blowout should one occur. So I decided to install a over/under axle kit which gave me the necessary clearance for a larger wheel and better tire.
I went from a Chinese produced C rated 14 inch tire (unknown name brand) weighing 39lbs to a United States produced e rated 10 ply 16 inch tire (Michelin xps rib) weighing double at 82 lbs.
I know some will say that it's overkill but I want to have best chance of not having a blowout. I'm wondering if any complications will occur by putting such a heavy duty tire on a 3500lb rated axle. Tongue height matches my lifted jeep receiver so height is good and I don't see camper being too top heavy with these tires?!?
Did I do the right thing or will this be a problem waiting to happen?
I would like to hear everyone's opinion.
You have really stuck your neck out if you didn't touch base with the trailer manufacturer and tire manufacturer.

Michelin will void the XPS rib warranty because they will not knowingly warranty LT tires when used as replacements for Original Equipment ST tires even though they exceed the OE tire's load requirements.

I don't have any idea how your trailer's manufacturer will respond to an unauthorized suspension modification. Surely negatively should a safety problem arise.

Even though Michelin will not warranty your new tires you should still insure they are registered so you will be informed should a recall action for them happen.

Michelin Tire Registration | Michelin US

On edit: You should make a "pen & ink" change in your owner's manual to remind you that you have 172# of extra weight when you go to the scales.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

Replacing the Chinese bombs was an excellent idea. Also, it is next to impossible to find decent 14" tire so the 16" tire is a good move. You may want to look into an aftermarket tps. I use the TST tps and have had good luck. They make a system just for the rv market. Excellent customer service.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #10

Thanks for registration link. Thanks everyone for the tpms suggestions. I wouldn't have been able to use a set of factory tpms anyway totally different psi requirements so will look into after market. Yes I'm glad I went with the Michelin. Steel ply and there's a lot of meat on the sidewalls.
Well here she is with 16 " wheels 10 ply Michelin XPS Rib tires. Weight distribution with sway control installed . Jeeps rear end dropped 1/2 inch .
Camper and jeep about the same height. Going check weight Monday. Should I call her the SS money pit or SS death trap lol
Old 05-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #11

Really pulls better than expected. Only thing is tractor trailers really push me around. Going to tighten up sway control and see what that will do.
Went to the cat scales and it was really convenient and fast. I weighed it twice with WD and then again with out bars and off hitch. I'm at 300 lb tongue weight.
Everything is within limits
This is with WD attached and fully loaded.

I really think manufacturers are missing out on upgrade market by not building them with potential of upsales on tires and wheels. If my wheel well was just a little larger I wouldn't have had to lift it to go with 16" tires
Old 05-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #12

Tightening up sway control should help, but it wouldn't hurt to have a few more LB's of tongue weight. 300LBS is below the recommended 10-15% for that trailer.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeffernan View Post

I really think manufacturers are missing out on upgrade market by not building them with potential of upsales on tires and wheels. If my wheel well was just a little larger I wouldn't have had to lift it to go with 16" tires
Think about it, for you it was a personal choice to redesign your trailer and make it look like it does now. Why not just purchase a trailer more suitable to your needs. Trailer manufacturers build to an established market. I'm sure one of them has a design closer to what you wanted without having to modify it.

You didn't have to jack that trailer up like that. With a little more research you could have found more suitable tires. There are plenty of 14" commercial tires with load capacities up to 2270# with speed ratings 75 MPH and higher.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #14
Commercial Member

It doesn't make any difference if the tire is a 2 ply nylon tire made in Mongolia or a 16 ply rating steel body tire made in Akron Ohio. If you don't run the air needed to support the load you can/will get a blowout. Steel fails from fatigue of over flexing - See "Zipper" failure. Nylon or Polyester melts from over flexing as seen in this "blowout"

I understand the difficulty with the 14" tire size but there are European "commercial" tires in the market that would fit 14" wheel.

Having said all the above. What inflation are you going to run in your steel body "10 ply" tire and how are you going to ensure you never have a slow leak while driving?

Tags
upgrade