Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #1

Tire/wheel upgrade?

Just purchased my parents TT off them and noticed the tires are in need of replacement. The current set up is ST225/75R15 with a max load of 2540lbs. The trailer has a GVWR of 11,000lbs.

Should I stick with the 15s and ST tires or should I upgrade to 17s and a LT tire? If I go to the 17s what size tire should I go with to keep the same diameter? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #2

Tires under rated by nearly 1000 lbs , were they original ? what load range ?
Some things to watch out for , Make sure that any rims you buy are rated for trailer use and many LT tire makers won't warrenty their tires if they are used on trailers . You could end up with a 60R17 trying to match diameter, and 60's may not have the load rating you need.
You need tires rated at 3000lbs each Minimum , then rims that are rated for the pressure the tires require.
Easy, dollar friendly fix is ,ST tires same size with higher load rating (original rims, provided the rims are rated for higher pressure ) install metal tire valves , rubber valves should not be used over 50 psi.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #3

Are those tires the Original Equipment tires? If so you most likely have 5200# axles derated to 5080#. You can verify that with the GAWR found on your trailers certification label.

I personally think 17 tires would be hard to fit and would surely be way too stiff for your trailer.

Your current tires being rated at 2540# are LRD. The normal OD would be around 28.3 for the ST tires and a rim range of 6-7. Their tread area is about 6.2 wide.

The normal highway LT225/75R16 LRE tire is about 29.4 tall, has a rim range of 6-7 and has a tread area of about 7.1. The maximum load capacity is 2685#.

If you have a lot of extra wheelwell space, another option would be the LT245/75R16 LRE. Its about 30.7 tall, has a rim range of 6.5-8 and a tread area of about 7.3. Its maximum load capacity is 3042# and would provide you with some much needed reserve load capacity.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #4

They are not the original tires but they were the same specs as the originals. The certification sticker has a GVWR of 11,000lbs. Each axle has a GAWR of 5,500lbs. It's hard to read but here is a picture of the sticker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130523_092803.png
Views:	101
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	39342
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

I'm okay with staying with a ST tire as long as I can get a quality tire that won't have me stressing about all the time. I've heard good things about Maxxis but what about Goodyear Marathon Radials? Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

I just dont know what to say about that label you have provided. The bottom line is its in violation of DOT safety regulations.

In the reference provide below read paragraph S5.1.2.

There is - to my knowledge - only one 15 tire able to provide the load capacity of your 5500# certified GAWR axles. Its the ST225/75R15 LRE rated at 2830# at 80 psi.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.120

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #7

Yeah it looks like the picture didn't come through clear at all.

I'm starting to lean towards a 16 inch rim because I'm aware I will always have a hard time getting the load range needed. I'm looking at three sizes, 245/75r16, 225/75r16 or 215/75r16 all E rated.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyetattoo View Post
I'm okay with staying with a ST tire as long as I can get a quality tire that won't have me stressing about all the time. I've heard good things about Maxxis but what about Goodyear Marathon Radials? Thanks again.
Last Goodyear STs I looked at were " Made in China !"
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #9

I am interested in new tires also and have the same size as you do. Last summer I blew one of mine, didn't even know about it until someone flagged me over. I don't know how far I drove on the flat but when I stopped the tire was off the rim with the beads still attached. Any further and it would have come out and damaged the trailer. I now know that I also stressed the rear tire also. Upon doing research I discovered that trailer tires are good for about 4-6 years only and are rated to a maximum of 65 MPH. That sucks as 110 kilometres an hour is 68 mph. While my tires all looked good with no cracks I now believe they are the original ones. The trailer is a 1999 model and was used very little. No wonder one of them blew. Other than "no name" tires at the local tire shops the main ones I found available are Carlisles and GY Marathons ( which is what I have) I don't have enough space to change size. I know lots of people hate both but I can't run Michelins. Shad
Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #10

I have been hearing good things about the Maxxis 8008's so I may give them a shot so I don't have to spend $600 on new wheels. I think they have a higher speed rating as well.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #11

Interesting on Maxxis site they give pressures at different loads but the speed is always 65 mph. I did read somewhere on one web site that you could increase the pressure by 10 psi for speeds up to 75 mph.

It seems most tires are made someplace other than North America ( we have priced ourselves out of the market ) The big question is how to know the difference between the good and the bad ones. I need to buy 5 new ones soon ? Shad

BTW Maxxis are not available in Canada nor will they ship here.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #12

Anyone have experience with the Maxxis ST tires?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #13

I had GY Marathon ST 2257515 on my previous trailer on 5200 lbs axles. After 5 years of tire problems and having to repair wheel Wells at Avery blowout I got mad and bought 4 LT load range C. And they were the cheapest ones i could find with highway threads. They were rated at 800 lbs per pair under the axle rating at 50 psi. Max pressure.
I aired them to 60 psi. And never had one tire failure for the next 6 years. They still look like new when traded the unit.
LTs were on most trailers in the 90s when 16" tires were used on trailers. STs were not available then.
That is my experience and I will continue using LTs on all my heavy trailers. I do have LTs LR G on the trailer now. And they are regroovable.
I do have a cut on the thread section on one tire and I know where it originated. I cut it when I strucked a piece of truck tire on the road. I also found one inbeded In one of my truck tire. It has large steel wire that can blow a tire. The LTs have much thicker thread design and can take road hazard abuse mush better.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #14

15" load range F, G, or H, tires are available, you would need to buy rims to match the air pressure.
The present tires meet RVIA requirements. That 1,000# difference is legal because that weight is assumed to be on the hitch. Regardless, I would upgrade to a higher load range tire for reliability.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote