Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #1

Tires for 26' Trailer

We need to replace all 4 tires on our 26' Kodiak trailer. Research shows us that we need to buy ST205/75-14. What are the best brands to consider, and what should we expect to pay. Some of the quotes we have received are all over the place, and we've read articles about tires made in China being substandard. Any assistance would be most helpful! Thanks!
vabucsfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #2

There is a lot of discussion on TT tires on several forums. Check the TT sections and you'll most likely get the best answers to you questions. I sold my 28 Passport last year, but if I would have kept it I would be looking at Light Truck tires rather than trailer service tires. Keep away from the Chinese tires if possible from what has been reported on the forums. Just my $.02.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #3

I too went through the same issues lately. Did LOTS of research and made my own decision. I have 15" wheels which may have made my search easier for I think the availability of tires at 14" is much more limited from what I read. Many have changed to larger rims- an expensive proposition, if you have the room. Maxiss tires seem to have a better rep than others but the comments are all over the place. LT truck tires seem to be in high use but 14" ones??? From what I read and what I see TT tire failure SEEMS to be mostly caused by lack of proper inflation, age of the tire, overloading beyond the rated capacity and high speed use. ST tires are rated at 65 mph not higher and max load ability at their max rated inflation pressure as stated on the sidewall of the tire. I just put on a set of 4 Carlisle LCD "D" load rated tires (2150 lbs each at 65 psi) on my 4300 lb TT (made in New Zealand). The tires have a load capacity WAY beyond my TT weight. I tow at 60 mph because I enjoy the trip, I'm not in a hurry. I'll see how they work out this summer as I plan trips totaling 6000 miles this year. Load range D tires seem to have a pressure rating at 65 psi. Check to see if your valve stems will take that pressure if not go to all metal, bolt in valve stems. Get them balanced well, your TT will love you for it. After lots of research, I also installed a Dexter EZ Flex equalizer kit on my TT suspension. I may do shocks next year.
I blew an ST tire on my boat trailer a few years ago but it was my own fault as I didn't check the pressures often, it was 8 years old and I was doing 70 mph when it let go and it was from, you guessed it, China. Just my .02 worth.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #4

I have heard a lot of good things about Goodyear Marathons in that size on these Forums. I have them on my trailer but haven't had it long enough to be a good reference.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #5

just ordered a set of Kumho 857 205/14R They are slightly bigger than my 205/14R Maxxis which shed the tread and damaged my trailer. But I have space in the wheel well for them. They have a much heavier load ability and higher speed rating than the Maxxis which were destroyed.

I went through an exhaustive search after having thrown the treads on my Maxxis tires and doing extensive damage to the bottom of our little Kodiak TT.

The Kumhos cost 60% more, carry 65 psi and are rated up to 109 mph. I had to buy a new set of wheels to accommodate the higher pressure as my factory wheels were only good for 50 psi. The Kumhos should be received in about 10 more days. Hopefully they will be the answer. Only time will tell.

And yes 14 in. rims give fewer options. It this doesn't work I am going to try 15 in. rims. It appears that my wheel wells have enough room.

Good luck,

Bob
bubbajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #6

I put Goodyear Marathons on my 27' Trail lite last year. The originals were 9 years old and still had plenty of tread life left. I replaced them due to dry rot. I payed right around $400 for the 4 tires from Belle Tire.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
For the price and reputation, I'm going to stick with the Maxxis tires. I have 1 on my Surveyor SV-264 because I noticed the original tire tread bulging. My trailer uses the same size tires as yours. I'll be replacing the other 3 this fall, if not before.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabucsfans View Post
We need to replace all 4 tires on our 26' Kodiak trailer. Research shows us that we need to buy ST205/75-14. What are the best brands to consider, and what should we expect to pay. Some of the quotes we have received are all over the place, and we've read articles about tires made in China being substandard. Any assistance would be most helpful! Thanks!
Hi there. I just replaced all four tires on our 30-ft. Outback TT. did a bit of research, called 5-6 dealers (in Tucson), was tempted by pricing on Chinese tires (triangle brand), did more research and they got bad reviews. Finally decided on Discount Tires, who had our size in stock at a good price. We upgraded to load range E (10-ply, instead of 8-ply D) for only $20 more for the set. I think we ended up paying around $530 including tax, installation and replacement guarantee. We get all our tires, for car and truck, from Discount Tire. The RV tires were Carlisle brand. Hope this helps.
Jimbo AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires