Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Tires of different load

Hello,
I am in need of a little wisdon here
I have load range c 1708 max capacity 50 lbs max air on my tt now I do need to replace 3 so i want to upgrade to load range D
SPECS: Load rating is 2,150 lbs. at 65 psi max

can I mix these 2 on my current tt?
if so can I just drop the psi to 50 to match the other psi?
portugese35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

wow 32 views and no answers anyone?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
While I can't say that having tires of differing load capacity would damage your trailer in any way (assuming all the tires are the same physical dimensions), I also can't say that I would recommend it either. It seems to me that if three of the tires need changing and if I was going to up the load range, I'd probably just go ahead and buy a matching set and have new rubber all the way around. If you do decide to mix and match the load ranges I would not recommend lowering the pressures in your D range tires to match your C tires. I would operate each tire at its' recommended operating pressure.

Hope this helps,
Fireman_898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #4

No. All the tires should be the same.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
What you propose is not the best way to go. However, if the total carrying weight exceeds the weight of the load, you should be ok. You do not want to lower PSI in a superior tire to match that of an inferior tire.

The lower pressure could make those new tires run hot and fail. Assuming with your new tires they will well exceed the actual load (weighing your trailer is a very good idea) then using max PSI is not a good idea, they will be hard, rough riding and eventually wear in the tire center. I would run the old tire close to max and the new ones about 5lbs less, perhaps more, depending on the weight and specs on those tires.

I've ran a cargo trailer like this for 3000mi, however, 2 of the tires were rated to handle the entire load. If it were me, I'd get another tire and use that old one for a spare, which would be an adequate 'get me home tire'.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
If I'm going to the trouble and expense to upgrade the load capacity of my tires (and I have on most of my RVs, including the last 2), I'm going to upgrade ALL of them. This allows me to take advantage of the increased load capacity without having to compromise the more capable new tires to accommodate the "weak link" of the old tire. Keep it as a spare if you must (I generally upgrade the spare as well), but if it were me, all the tires on the ground would be the same age, size and load rating.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #7

Thank you for all the replies much appriciated.
I am making 1 trip from fla to nc and just spent 7,000 on a camper.
I bought this bettter load range because I wanted D it has c now.
I am on a budget 2 tires are 5 yr old 2 are 3 yrs old spare is 2 yr old.
I wanted to use spare as one to go on camper and put new for spare.
but if you all think it best I will buy all 4 new d range
Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
One thing to keep in mind is your wheels to ensure you don't exceed their ratings...

i.e. if you put 110 psi in tires and the wheels are only rated at 80 psi -- pop
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #9

I always thought that the pressure shown on the sidewalls was the maximum pressure one should ever put in the tire. The actual pressure should be matched to the load it is expected to carry. What pressures are recommended on the information for the trailer? If it was me, I would have all tires at the same pressure, but not to exceed maximum pressure of any one tire or rim.

Here is a web address that has some cool information.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #10

Here is a link for another table.

http://cache.toyotires.com/sites/def...ion_tables.pdf
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I always thought that the pressure shown on the sidewalls was the maximum pressure one should ever put in the tire. The actual pressure should be matched to the load it is expected to carry.
Just so everyone understands where this "inflate to maximum sidewall pressure" recommendation for an ST tire comes from, here's Discount Tire's website which is nothing but a republish of Carlisle Tire data.

Quote:
Inflation
  • Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
  • Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
  • If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.
  • Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.
Disclaimer: As I wouldn't run Carlisle (or any ST) tires on a wheelbarrow, my providing the link above should not be construed to suggest that I either agree or disagree with the comments shown on the Discount Tire website.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #12

now im all the way confused
I will be running all the same d tires 2150 max air 65 lbs
so do i run them all on 65 psi? i will be driving 55 all the way up north
These tires are 8 ply.
thanks for all the input
Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Tire opinions will vary all over the place. So I will throw my thoughts in. Great idea to move up to D rated tires. Working within a budget, consider two new D tires mounted on the front axle. Use the best 'old' tires on the rear axle. Pressure them to the max for the C rated tires which are the ones you have to worry about. I recommend LT tires made in USA. As soon as your budget allows replace the old tires. Then run all four at 55 psi. If you go to 65 psi they will be hard and will wear in the center.
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires