Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #1

Tires wearing out!

I have about 2 years and maybe 7000-8000 miles on my triple axle toy hauler. One tire had to be switcher out about 300 miles ago (steel chords were showing around entirety of tire) and now two more will need replaced soon. The first tire I had to switch out was drivers side front axle. The other two are, as could be expected, on the rear axle. What perplexes me is the passenger side front axle tire is still in pretty good shape. First, is 8000 miles or so on front or rear axle tires to be expected, or did they wear out sooner than they should? Secondly, it seems if one tire wears out quickly while the opposing tire is ok, maybe I need the alignment on that axle checked? And which tires are best for replacing these tired tires (sorry, couldn't help myself ) Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You as many others are noticing the effects of TT's that are built on the cheap. Many have said that some units are built better than others but they are still built on the low end of quality. Here are some very simple facts.

I challenge you to find any TT that has axles that are rated 1,000 lbs higher than the maximum weight they are rated to carry. My MH is. It is a truck chassis.

Most any TT will have axles that are rated almost enough to carry the max weight that you are supposed to. The tires are also rated marginally close to the max that you will or should carry.

We had a TT rated for 7,000 lbs. It came from the factory with two 3,000 lb axles. So if my the tongue weight was 600 lbs then fully loaded I was only 400 lbs over weight. What does that do??? Eventually it will bend the axles changing the angle of tires which will then wear out as you have experienced.

You will read on most forums where guys will up-grade their axles, rims and tires so they have a much better margin of safety. That is costly and IMHO why should a person spend another 6-10,000 bucks to get what he thought he was buying in the first place. When we ordered our TT I asked if I could get 4,000 lb axles with 15" rims and tires. I was told no that they would not fit.
It took us 4 years and 3 TT's before we decided to go back to a MH. In the defence of the TT industry. Most TT's are purchased, used 2,3, or 5 times a year then parked on the side of the barn. The TT industry really never figured that some would FT in their units so they built them as cheaply as they could to keep up the profit margin. There are some units out there that are somewhat better than others but not many.

Also the frames are very thin which allows a lot of flexing. The flexing is hard on everything inside.

TeJay

Old 02-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #3

You can get an alignment after you add CorectTrack system. Other wise you have to cut/weld the hangers for the springs.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #4

So, as a friend told me, buy cheaper tires since they will wear out quickly anyway. I would prefer a 5th wheel toy hauler (now that I have some experience & know more of what I would prefer) but have a 2002 F250 & haven't found one my truck could handle.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #5

Not being an authority on suspensions I'll throw this out. One of the problems I see in dual axle suspensions is that in a moderately tight turn one of the axles will have a lot of side pressure on it and will slide the tire. Make it a very tight turn (when backing into a parking spot) and the pressure is really on the spring shackles. Bending a little and most of the time straighten out but how many times do you look at the shackles? Bent spring shackle and it is out of alignment.

One of the reasons I favor rubber torsion axles. No spring shackles. Granted in a dual axle application one of the axles will have to slide but each wheel is independent. One tire may slide easily the other maybe not so easy but no pressure on the entire axle. A tri-axle exaggerates the issue. Just watch a tractor trailer with a tri-axle setup or even a dual spread axle. With a tractor trailer that air suspension the driver can reduce the air pressure on the axle that is sliding or increase air pressure on one of the axles. They are set up this way to beat overweight issues going over an axle scale.

Granted there are probably very few TT's with air suspension but just making a point about springs. With every dual or tri-axle suspension one of the axles must slide the tires ever so slightly on even the mildest turn, advantage single axle. I recognize single axles are not the answer though. If every road was straight the entire distance of travel then no problem. Have you ever thought about the amount of rubber left on the surface of a highway, it would surprise you.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Alpine Owners Club
At a properly equipped alignment shop ,the axles can be "bent" to correct the alignment, we do it quite often in our Grants Pass ,Oregon shop. The "correct-track" kit will only allow the toe-in to be equalized side to side, if the camber is off or the total toe is not correct you will still experience tire wear issues. Also as mentioned in a previous post ,load ratings and build quality can be an issue. The axles are mass produced and alignment is most likely never checked on the finished installation. Also a multi axle trailer places quite sever side loads on the suspension when making tight turns, especially when backing up . It's amazing how much wheel, tire and suspension flex the can actually survive.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
SuperSteer hit the nail. Yes, they can be re-aligned but because of the marginal quality building by the manufacturer if tight turns and hitting a few curbs or bumps bent the axles or in some way caused a misalignment then it's going to happen again.

One can't avoid the tight turns when backing in but you can avoid the curbs etc. most of the time. Because of the nature of the beast you'll just have to be careful, load your unit properly and check for tire wear often.

TeJay

Tags
tires