Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #15

I don't cover and store outside year round. Three years so far.

Ours is a fibreglass one and it uses the lamilux.

I do roof seal inspections two times a year and a moisture inspection at the same time. Cheap investment to do.

Only wash the roof two times a year. No need to do it anymore.

Wash it 4 to 5 times through the season with meguiars wash and wax soap. . And use a good wax twice a year. And a spray wax in between.

The roof on the trailers is good for 15 years and as long as you keep on it should not have issues.

But maybe I have just been lucky.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467307574.011190.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	131670

Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Getting ready to purchase a cover, what are your thoughts on, element covers, classic covers and ADCO covers. I have read many reviews on ADCO covers most are not good. I need a cover that is breathable, water repellant and UV protected since I live in calif and we have some intense sun. What are your thoughts. We do maintenance on roof and wash and wax after every long trip. But it's the intense sun, we have full body paint and want to protect my outlaw.

Judy and Kerry, with Yorkie Babies Tweety, Jessi James, Wyatt Earp, Isabella. Boyz and there toys Angel Baby 2009 HD Road King, with Dyna 2008 HD Screaming Eagle. US Army Ret X2.::2015 37ls Outlaw, RVM97
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
Getting ready to purchase a cover, what are your thoughts on, element covers, classic covers and ADCO covers. I have read many reviews on ADCO covers most are not good. I need a cover that is breathable, water repellant and UV protected since I live in calif and we have some intense sun. What are your thoughts. We do maintenance on roof and wash and wax after every long trip. But it's the intense sun, we have full body paint and want to protect my outlaw.
Great points Badlands. I am on the same lines as you. Also looked at ADCO but some reviews put me off, so what brand should we buy? Would love someone chiming in regarding this. I also live in semi desert, hot sun, but I can't imagine covering it in the season I'm using it at all. I would only cover for the winter.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:49 AM   #18

I covered my last TT every winter with ADCO cover...as stated I got about 3-4 years out of a cover. No issues with it wearing the finish. You need to be careful putting it on especially the corners where the gutters are as the fabric will rip easily. Don't pull on it. My last cover I noticed included small covers for the gutter spouts. The ONLY draw back I have had with the cover is it gave some red squirrels and easy way to get on the roof of the TT one year. I can'[t even be 100% sure they wouldn't have gotten up there otherwise. I have a brand new TT and it will get covered this winter. I don't see the down side of covering.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #19

JMO, I think the Classic cover is the best I've owned. Never got into the custom Sunbrella because of cost.

Been covering all my RV's for the last 15 years and will continue to do so till I can't get up there anymore. It can be dangerous, mainly tripping on the cover as you unroll it and spread it out.

I've heard of people doing it from the ground using long sticks. 2500HD, I use tennis balls on the drains. I cut a x pattern in the ball and slip it on. You could also use short pieces of a swim noodle. Slips right on the drain also.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #20

I had thought that a cover would be the best until some friends put one on theirs. They were pretty unhappy with the rub marks it left on their finish.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #21

I was actually wondering the same thing, but for the summer (I store my TT in a barn in winter). Not to hijack the post, but any people cover in summer from the sun?
Old 07-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #22

daveRG, yes I do. Here in SoCal the sun is brutal in the summer. Doing whatever I can to keep the TT in good shape.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #23

I cover ours whenever it's not in use. I have a Goldline cover, it is about a year old now and showing no issues at all. We don't have the winter problem, but here in Florida we have brutal sun, humidity, and pretty heavy storms on a fairly regular basis during the summer. I use the pool noodle pieces on the gutter spouts. Pretty straight forward, no signs of wear or problems on the trailer, still looks as sharp as it did when new. Only remotely hard part is getting the cover on and off the roof.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:02 PM   #24

Had Adco cover on a trailer a few years ago. High winds here (often 40-60 mph). The cover left some marks on the side which took a lot of elbow grease and polish to remove. In one winter, the cover had several holes in it, as well. I was not impressed. Adco suggests a custom cover for the MH ($1, 000 w/ tax and shipping). Yikes. I too am looking for suggestions. For the price of three covers - maybe six years, I could probably get that side repainted.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:07 AM   #25

The goal is to protect from UV damage and dirt while "shedding off the water" (most covers aren't designed to be water prove as they are designed to breathe). A carport/garage is the best way to protect your investment, but covering is the only option for most of us. IMHO, covering your RV will help prolong the life of the plastic components (trim, latch clips, water inlet cover, etc.) and will help maintain a newer looking finish over the years of ownership. Good luck with your decision.