Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 03:48 AM   #1

To Cover or Not Cover, That is the Question

What say you on the subject of covering your RV for winter.

I've seen mixed reviews and most say they don't last very long.

What experiences (+/ - ) have you had with them.

Is it really necessary? My climate for winter is cold average -7c to -10c but sometime -20c. It snows say 6 inches on average.

Let me know your thoughts and thank you for your time.

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 04:54 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We covered our last MH in weather that cold and had one problem. When trying to remove it for a trip south to vacation somewhere warm the ice and snow build up froze it to the roof. We solved that by simply turning on the heat inside to thaw it.

We bought a cover for our current MH for use in the summer as we now only use it to go south all winter. The anti-billowing arms on one slide topper rubbed holes in it. A tennis ball with a hole poked in it then slipped over them stopped that. We also had to remove radio antenna and cover the air horns to prevent them rubbing a hole in it.

Depending what you are using for a cover there is also the possibility that the wind can rub the cover on the finish and damage it.

I think not having it covered has taken it's toll on the paint so it's a Catch 22 with covers.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:06 AM   #3

RE:To Cover or Not Cover

We covered our Travel Trailer this past winter because it is stored in an open lot. I spoke with the service guys at the lot and they recommended as well. They heard both sides of the "argument" and in their opinion the benefits of covering outweigh not covering the trailer.

So for us it is peace of mind that it is protected as well as we can. When I removed it, I have to admit that I did tear a small section of the cover as it got caught on my steps. No big deal, I can "patch" it with a piece of duct tape.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We cover ours due in large part to the sun damage living in these mountains can cause. It takes some strong tying to keep the cover on thru our normal 25-35 MPH winds that howl but I really think it's a big help.
On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #5

We put a couple of tubs of desiccant (damp rid) in our RV when using a cover. We covered oup RV for most of the year when not in use. If nothing else, it is extra insurance against leaks and kept it cleaner.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #6

I see no reason why someone wouldn't cover for storage. Unless the trailer has full body paint it is difficult to make a noticeable scratch on light colored fiberglass. I will be buying a cover for our new trailer, but I am worried about the extra long rain gutters it came with.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #7

The complaints I have heard are that the covers get ripped easily and the wind can cause the covers to ripple and scuff the sides of the trailer.

I know where I am the wind would shred it over the winter. So I opted to just keeping it cleaned and waxed.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

My main concern , and read , is the wear on the corners of the roof membrane, caused by the cover ?????
Old 06-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

You can expect 3-4 years out of a cover. I had mine for 3 1/2. If I would have known I would have rotated it every time put I back on. The door side (sunny side) faded and started ripping, but the shaded side looked brand new.

My TT was 30' and I loved having the cover. Kept it clean and out of the sun. Never had any problems with rubbing or anything.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
You can expect 3-4 years out of a cover. I had mine for 3 1/2. If I would have known I would have rotated it every time put I back on. The door side (sunny side) faded and started ripping, but the shaded side looked brand new.

My TT was 30' and I loved having the cover. Kept it clean and out of the sun. Never had any problems with rubbing or anything.
Thanks for your input everyone. A lot of people keep saying "it keeps it out of the sun", when do you guys use the RV? Midst of winter? Lol. Or do you cover it when you get home from a trip. That would be a pain for me.

Sorry for asking, just want to see what everyone does and how often you put it on. I am thinking i would only put it on just for the winter months only.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #11

Obviously, this is a hot topic and I've read a lot about this issue. The significant point seems to be the UV rays degrading the exterior of the RV. Then, there's the chance of water penetration due to inconsistent/poor maintenance potentially causing delamination issues. I choose to cover because I want my RV protected to retain as much of it's value as possible.

The good covers are not cheap and the lesser expensive covers may not provide as much protection so it's hard to decide. I choose to error on the side of caution as well as providing a good coat of wax at least once per year to add to the protection level.

It's up to each owner, but any RV these days is more than a little expensive and I choose to go with the old saying: "An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure."
Old 06-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #12

I would cover mine after every trip if I didn't have plans to go again within a month.

I bought a large plastic trashcan to store the cover in when not in use. I used tennis balls on the downspouts and the door stop thingy (technical term). One person can install and remove the cover, but it's much easier with two (one on the ground and one on top). You also must be careful about it getting caught on anything that's sharp because it will rip the cover fairly easy. My TT had a metal gutter on the wall above the slide and I caught and ripped the cover on it before I realized what happened.

I got it down where I could have the cover completely installed in 15 minutes. Less for removal.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
What say you on the subject of covering your RV for winter.

I've seen mixed reviews and most say they don't last very long.

What experiences (+/ - ) have you had with them.

Is it really necessary? My climate for winter is cold average -7c to -10c but sometime -20c. It snows say 6 inches on average.

Let me know your thoughts and thank you for your time.
TheMatrix
Not to cover has been my choice for all of the 15 years I've owned this now 148k mile coach.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I don't go on top my rv for any reason anymore... I pay someone to get up there too high for these eyes !

when younger used to jump off houses - choose not to have to do that anymore