Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #1

Question To cover or not to cover

This is a question about winter storage in snow country. I have observed many covered RV Travel Trailers in the open (field) in my area. I am new (returning) to Travel Trailer ownership. I see as many covered for the winter storage as I see without a cover. The ones I see covered most often are using the common Polypropylene covers you can buy at the home centers or Tractor Supply.
What are the pros and cons about covering for winter storage in snow country?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #2

Use a quality cover made for the job. Protect the cover and the RV by covering sharp corners with foam. RV's degrade quickly from exposure to the elements, so use the cover as much as possible any time of year.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our experience with covering a class A motorhome is this:

Bought the camper new so wanted to protect it well. Bought a cover made for that unit, about $200.
During the first winter:
- It tore in a few locations
- The wind whipped it so much it rubbed the paint off
- When we'd go to check on it (in storage) it was hard to get into

After that we just waxed it and threw the expensive cover away.
During that same winter the cover on another home blew off completely and was across the yard

Perhaps a cover is a good idea, just be sure to tie it securely to prevent chafing the paint
Good luck
Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #4

Coastal Campers
We have always covered our trailers, and think keeping them looking like new is worth the hassle of putting the cover on and off. As mentioned already, fit is very important as if the cover is too loose, it will be difficult to secure properly. Depending on what make and model trailer you have, one of the "off the shelf" covers may or may not be a good fit. For our last two trailers, we splurged and bought CalMark covers which are custom made to your measurements - a little pricier than some others, but made in the USA of Sunbrella brand fabric which is also made in the USA.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We opted for no cover. Every year I see new covers on the trailers/motorhomes in our storage yard... they just replaced the previous year cover that was torn to shreds. I'm afraid they will start whipping my trailer and ruin the finish. Currently we store ours uncovered in the yard. We intend to upgrade our storage this year to covered which basically means a roof over the trailer. No cover for us, too much risk of damage. We do intend to start storing it at home in the next year if we can clear a couple trees etc... I may change my tune then because of tree sap and fir needles. We'll see. I was mine with UV protectant... hopefully it will help protect the finish.

Anyone have ideas for covering those plastic sky lights? I'd like to preserve the clarity on those but so far I can't think of anything practical to cover it with for the winter.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
We opted for no cover. Every year I see new covers on the trailers/motorhomes in our storage yard... they just replaced the previous year cover that was torn to shreds. I'm afraid they will start whipping my trailer and ruin the finish. Currently we store ours uncovered in the yard. We intend to upgrade our storage this year to covered which basically means a roof over the trailer. No cover for us, too much risk of damage. We do intend to start storing it at home in the next year if we can clear a couple trees etc... I may change my tune then because of tree sap and fir needles. We'll see. I was mine with UV protectant... hopefully it will help protect the finish.

Anyone have ideas for covering those plastic sky lights? I'd like to preserve the clarity on those but so far I can't think of anything practical to cover it with for the winter.
That I can help you with.
You can clean the skylights and then apply a couple coats of white Plasti Dip spray, available at auto parts stores or maybe HD, and peel it off in the spring if you wish to. It even prevents some of the heat gain in the summer.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #7

My confusion continues. In both this discussion and speaking to RV owners I keep getting the same mixed message(s).....some say cover while others say don't. Some who purchased custom covers discontinued using them after the covers seemed to cause more problems than winter and the snow/ice.

I will continue to monitor this discussion to try to discover the best course of action.
It is not the cost of the cover but the possible damage that the cover may inflict vs.
the winters' ice and snow. My location in upstate New York right on the Vermont state line gets more winter than most. No shortage of snow and ice here!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Mine's under covered storage year 'round. It's $71 per month but the trailer never sees direct sun or precipitation because the stall faces north and there's a big Class A behind me... Security is good as the place is gated and has cameras. More expensive than a cover, but to me, well worth it.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #9

Without a cover there is a 100% chance that you will have weather or sun damage. You do the math.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:01 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
That I can help you with.
You can clean the skylights and then apply a couple coats of white Plasti Dip spray, available at auto parts stores or maybe HD, and peel it off in the spring if you wish to. It even prevents some of the heat gain in the summer.
Thanks.
I like that Idea, especially the heat gain part. Off to HD again...
Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Have had our rig under cover every winter for four years and it comes out in the summer looking good. This one is starting to wear out and in two years I will buy another one....keeps my rig looking young.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
After waxing the plastic sky lights, I've brushed on thinned Elmer's white glue. Peels right off... again this is applied over thoroughly waxed plastic, like Lexan, Plexiglass, etc.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #13

I installed Maxxair covers over my roof vents. It was the best investment I ever made and they were simple to install and no additional holes in the roof! Cost about $25ea. at Camping World......these things work!!!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, that dip sounds like a winner, if it peels off well. I may try a small area first just to see. Right now, the skylights are crystal clear, so I'm very nervous about added damage to them, to included buffeting covers. However, here in western Washington, there is a constant rain of something, either water, or Fir tree pollen, or sap, or snow. I wanted an RV port, but don't have space due to zoning (power line runs next to the trailer, but would be over a port), so my options are cover, storage, or letting it rot away..
Some comments liked the Sunbrella material, but is this more of a UV/wind protectant, rather than a Rain/moisture protectant? It looks like I can get a custom fit tyvek cover for less than half the price of Sunbrella..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin25113 View Post
Thanks.
I like that Idea, especially the heat gain part. Off to HD again...

BandC is offline   Reply With Quote