Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

To cover or not to cover

So having a new tt for almost a year now we are thinking it may be a good idea to cover that beauty up. We do use it at least one weekend every month. Im just kinda wondering what everyone else opinion is on the idea. I really would like to protect my $30,000 purchase. I know they can be kinda expensive but maybe its worth it to save the paint. Btw we live in central Florida, so it sees a lot of sun and heat.
bigbear1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #2

Water intrusion is the biggest problem. Throw in heat and humidity and that can explain all sorts of problems. If I were to buy used especially more than 3-5 years old I would only look at rigs stored under cover or an enclosed building.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:54 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I store my new Jayco in enclosed storage. Not horribly expensive, and it allows for some airflow. Also has 120 power, so keeps my battery charged and provides some extra storage space.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:45 AM   #4

I would love to store in indoors or at least under a canopy. But the price of that in florida is more than the payment on the coach...
Old 10-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #5

We cover our's with an ADCO all season cover with the Tyvek white top. Mainly to prevent damage from UV rays. The sun's rays can play havoc with your plastic parts and seals.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #6

For what it is worth, I will also add that we bought our previous coach new in 2005. We kept ot covered every off season and it kept it looking nicer longer. We sold it (no issues with leaks or any other problems) this past spring. Reason we sold was to get a new 5th wheel for much needed space. Covering our new unit as well. IMHO, it was worth the money for a nice cover. 12 years of sun would have taken its toll.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #7

That's awesome. So did that one cover last the whole 12 years? Did you keep windows open when it was covered?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #8

Needed 2 covers over the 12 years in Ohio. The covers will tear over time and fall apart at the end of their life.

If you cover sharp edges with sponges (or similar) and take care of the cover, we found you could get a solid 8 years out of the cover. We put the cover away dry every time in a big garbage can on wheels that we purchased for this reason.

We did not open windows, but did open the 2 roof vents that were under the Max Air roof vent covers. The roof vents allow the unit to breathe. We kept the vents open about 2 inches each whenever it wasn't in use.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #9

Thank you very much for the input. We are definitely going to cover it.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #10

I have covered both my trailers. When I sold my first one, everyone seemed more interested when I told them I covered it every winter. I have a friend that said he doesn't cover his because the dealers don't cover their units so that proved it didn't matter to cover it. I pointed out that they likely wouldn't sell many trailers if they were covered and buyers couldn't see what they looked like.😊
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3firetrucks View Post
I have covered both my trailers. When I sold my first one, everyone seemed more interested when I told them I covered it every winter. I have a friend that said he doesn't cover his because the dealers don't cover their units so that proved it didn't matter to cover it. I pointed out that they likely wouldn't sell many trailers if they were covered and buyers couldn't see what they looked like.😊
I would also suggest dealers try not to have units very long. Anything can usually withstand the elements for a period of time. It's the life of camper that you are trying to protect such as the shine and decals.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #12

Well after all of eveyones advice i covered up the trailer today. Wasnt too difficult with the wife's help, but we do use the trailer at least one weekend every month. So its definitely gonna be work to cover and uncover when we are only going for 2 nights at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1477239619357.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	142368  
Old 10-24-2016, 01:06 AM   #13

We also opened up all the windows. Could that have been a mistake? We just figured the more ventilation the better.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #14

For your situation I would buy the lightest cover I could find that is both durable and waterproof. Those heavy covers are a real pain to put on and take off. It is best to protect the trailer and with a light cover you will be fine.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote