Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #1

Today saw TT wrecked

My wife and I were heading out of Laramie,Wy about 20 miles west I 80 came upon a 26-28 ft. on it's side had my camera next to me and snapped this picture. The Travel Trailer looks like it flipped off and seperated from the hitch the vehilce was okay it was parked in front the occupants were outside they looked fine. It must of just happened 10-15 minutes prior.
Like the old truckers use to say "Keep the Shinny Side Up and the Dirty Side Down"........All of you Please be carefull out there....Albert.
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, I wonder what happened, you can see the skid marks. Wonder if someone cut them off. It is scary- even on clear roads- how people will cut off trucks and RV's. Like they can stop on a dime .

Sheila

~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Do you think cross winds were a factor? On the other side of the "hill" past the windmills on the way to Rawlins is one of the worst cross wind areas I've experienced on I-80 in Wyoming.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Sure hope someone stopped to see if anyone had contacted the authorities and a tow truck for them, cell phone service in that area is slim to none. My husband was in the area today (heavy haul trucker) headed for Idaho, and he doesn't have cell phone service either. And yes that wind can be rough on campers and truckers.

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #5

How scary! Glad everyone was ok. This is one of my greatest fears.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #6

Wow, thats looks scarry, been on that stretch of road many times and it can be real windy!!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
The skid marks probably happened when the TT came unhitched. Almost all have disconnect safety brakes and apply the TT brakes when disconnected. From the length of the skid marks it looks like the safety brakes worked pretty well. Much safer for the TV and others on the road.

Dick
Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #8

Where on 80 was this? This really sucks for whoever that was.
xJoey Dubsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;677115
Where on 80 was this?
xJoey Dubsx, Best I can recon is 41.43773N by 105.93314W SouthWest of James Lake.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I saw the same thing two weeks ago either on the I 79 or I 77 cant remember, but there should be some law that prevents RV stores from sending people down the road with unsafe configurations. Towing a travel trailer is unsafe even when everything is done right but then add a light truck to a long heavy trailer with improper equipment and disaster becomes imminent.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Steve

It's called the "Law Of Natural Selection". These folks may be off towing forever, and if it's because they did something stupid than it's for the better. Why should the general public pay to enforce laws that should just be common sense?

Dick
We were all 'newbies' at one time and would have totally believed the trailer salesman when he said that you could easily tow that new shiny trailer with your little car..... While it is ultimately the responsibility of the owner to ensure an adequate tow vehicle, the dealer may share some of the blame for leading newbies astray.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
We were all 'newbies' at one time and would have totally believed the trailer salesman when he said that you could easily tow that new shiny trailer with your little car..... While it is ultimately the responsibility of the owner to ensure an adequate tow vehicle, the dealer may share some of the blame for leading newbies astray.
AGREED!

I see big 5ers pulled by 3/4 ton trucks all day long in my little corner of the world.

But I disagree on the last point....It is the owners responsibility to use their TV at its capacity and not beyond.. Saying the dealers is at fault is like saying that Safeway is at fault for the obesity epidemic..

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote