Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
Plastic bowls get more stains then the porcelean bowls get and sometimes they are very hard to clean. I have had good luck with Dawn dish detergent and bleach mixed in water and that mixture sits on the stain. Water should be in any bowl that's in use. If the water wont stay there, the toilet valve seal is clogged or broken. You need to replace it.
-Paul R. Haller-

If I understand the OP correctly, they are talking about the section BELOW the valve that you only see while flushing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-55 View Post
If I understand the OP correctly, they are talking about the section BELOW the valve that you only see while flushing.
YES -- we have this same problem. I know this is an old thread, btw, but a search brought it up.

When we bought our motorhome last month, we did not see that there was, sorry if this is TMI, dried-on poop on the sides of the toilet neck BELOW the valve. ICK! I can only assume that the previous owners had a black tank overflow at one point, or weren't real careful about spraying down the bowl and below with the sprayer next to the toilet. It definitely seems like this build-up could have been prevented, but now that it's hard and stuck on, I can figure out no good way to remove it other than replacing the toilet. It doesn't smell, thank goodness.

If anyone has dealt with this issue in any way other than replacing the toilet, please post. I don't like looking at this stuff, but it's hard to avoid seeing it when flushing and making sure that everything goes down the hole.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #17

Mr Clean Magic Eraser?
Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #18

Try orange cleaner, Think its called awesome. turn off the water and fill the bowl with some then flush and repeat a few times. I wouldn't use bleach on plastic. leave some bleach in a plastic cup and come back in a few hours...
Old 02-26-2016, 06:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallsmi View Post
Mr Clean Magic Eraser?
Hmmmm, I am NOT sticking my hand down there (below the valve), but the one on a stick -- that could work! Thank you for the thought!
Old 02-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
Try orange cleaner, Think its called awesome. turn off the water and fill the bowl with some then flush and repeat a few times. I wouldn't use bleach on plastic. leave some bleach in a plastic cup and come back in a few hours...
It's not the bowl that's the problem, it's the part of the toilet BELOW the valve that only shows when flushing. But thank you.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #21

get a new toilet, not worth spending the time.

Jim
Old 02-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Other than seeing it, what is the problem with the items that are in the pedestal section between the flush valve and the floor/base? I could imagine it would only be a problem if the black tank ventilation was bad so that odor was constantly present. Otherwise, it's not gonna jump up and bite you!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the problem is below the flush valve try a tank wand.

Robot Check

Second option would be to remove the toilet (two bolts and the water line) and use a power washer.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bring a hose in through the bathroom window with a spray head and cutoff valve. Use a toilet brush and soap. Go to town on it. Keep foot on the flush pedal.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
How about a toilet brush and Bar Keepers Helper. It's supposed to be non-abrasive, but it cut's thru "stuff".

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #26

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Unfortunately no window in our bathroom (just a vent up top), but we could bring a hose through the dinette window nearby. I didn't even know about tank wands, but if they blast with pretty high pressure, I think that would be the best solution.

Eventually we would like to upgrade the plastic toilet to a porcelain one, but we have spent so much $$ getting the rig outfitted (just bought it last month) with things we felt were more important (RV GPS, surge suppressor, TPMS system, new batteries, etc.) that "would be nice" items need to wait awhile.

To be honest, the "build up" doesn't really freak me out that much, but I worry about any guests having to see it. It does not smell, thank goodness!
Old 02-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post

I've had it damage STYROFOAM, but never PLASTIC. Besides, doesn't bleach come in . . . .wait for it . . . .PLASTIC bottles?
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:14 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelGal View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Unfortunately no window in our bathroom (just a vent up top), but we could bring a hose through the dinette window nearby. I didn't even know about tank wands, but if they blast with pretty high pressure, I think that would be the best solution.
The tank wands work great IMHO. Better than the on board flush system. From experience I suggest if you are spraying close to the top of the "chute" wear goggles or at least glasses and old clothes. There will be spray coming out. Not a lot in our case but enough so I could tell it was.

Our toilet is china so the bowl never stained and we have replaced the flush ball so it still looks good. Try not to look down while flushing but from using the spray wand found it was kind of yuck past the ball. The wand does help.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet