Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #29

I was concerned about the same thing--discoloration of the PVC down tube below the toilet, thinking it was staining from the material going down. Finally got to the point that I took the toilet out and spent quiet a bit of time trying to get rid of the discoloration. Wasn't too successful--using a stiff circular brush and lots of bleach/soap/ and several other liquids that I can't remember. It finally dawned on me it was permanent staining of the PVC piping itself, and seemed to be from excess glue used when constructed. Gave up on it and now I don't worry about it at all, since there is no smell associated with the color. Also replaced the seal and cleaned the toilet undersides--this is just an area that is never seen nor worried about til some other reason causes inspection with the toilet out--the collections of dust/dirt/whatever can get ugly, and surely will eventually have some smell that can't be cleaned out just by working thru the ball valve.
The RV lifestyle has some downsides....
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 06:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I was concerned about the same thing--discoloration of the PVC down tube below the toilet, thinking it was staining from the material going down.
Ours is not discoloration, there is actual dried-on "residue" from the previous owners on the sides of the tube. Easy to see when flushing. How did it build up like this, I can only imagine! I have already gotten some of it off just using the toilet sprayer, but what is left requires a bit more power. I suspect a hose sprayer that has a concentrated setting would also do it (similar principle to the wand) so will try one of those.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #31
RPr

You can try a bowl brush and toilet cleaner. Cut off the water, open the flush slider, squirt the bowl cleaner or other elixer on the throat pipe, wait, then scrub with bowl brush and rinse.

Or, you can accept the fact that you are dealing with a toilet, just like the one at home. But, the one at home it has a water trap; so you cannot see the same stuff in the pipe to the sewage system.

In you RV, you are looking at the top of a sewage holding tank. I simply is not going to be too clean and pretty.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPr View Post
In you RV, you are looking at the top of a sewage holding tank. I simply is not going to be too clean and pretty.
So does everyone have this caked-on, dried "residue" in the neck of the toilet (under the flush slider)?

As a new RV-er, I honestly have no idea as I haven't ever used the toilet in anyone else's rig. Seems like if rinsed regularly (there's a sprayer hose right next to the toilet in our rig), poop residue would not build up and dry on unless the previous owners overflowed the black tank so that it backed up into the toilet.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
You might try a jar or two of Happy Campers Extreme by letting it sit overnight in a very FULL tank including up the sides and into the bowl a little. Once it sits in the tank overnight, lower the tank level somewhat by draining some off. Then use some brush scrubbing along with a power pressure washer or a Master Blaster Tank Wand to remove the residue.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelGal View Post
So does everyone have this caked-on, dried "residue" in the neck of the toilet (under the flush slider)?
No. But it isn't "clean", either. There are bits here and there, but nothing that makes me think "I gotta clean that". In my case, the toilet sits right above the corner of the black tank. It will never be "clean", so I don't worry about it.

It sounds to me like your previous owners let the tank go dry, but might have been filled, and/or simply never used enough water to flush down solids. In an extreme case, it could be the design or the materials of the toilet just causes the material to build up.

Be careful with that spray wand. It could produce interesting results of where water and other things get flung. Maybe get some Thetford Aqua-Kem liquid, mix it with some water in a spray bottle, and at least once a day, if not more, go spray down the stuff you want to get rid of and let the chemicals help break down the solids, like the Aqua-Kem bottle says it will.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #35

I had a similar problem on the first ClassA I purchased (used of course). I pulled the plastic toilet out, and cleaned it outside of the RV. Plan was to try to clean it, and if it doesn't come clean, ....replace it. Plastic toilets are cheap. Since it came clean, I replaced the main seal, and all gaskets easily while it was out. After reinstalling it, I almost filled the tank with fresh water, and couple of gallons of bleach. Drove the coach around town for a while, and let it sit for few days. Drained that, and had a nice and clean black tank.

ClassA I purchased after that one, has porcelain bowl, and no stains.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
"Be careful with that spray wand. It could produce interesting results of where water and other things get flung"

Stretch some Saran Wrap over the toilet bowl. Poke a hole in the Saran Wrap over the center of the bowl, then insert the wand and clean away.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Great idea! Just remember to remove the plastic wrap unless you want to pull a messy prank on the next user!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
That did cross my mind when I typed it. Great minds....

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #39

I would turn off the water and use a gel toilet bowl cleaner. Soak it overnight then a toilet brush with more gel cleaner.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #40

maybe remove said bowl and get some rubber gloves
Old 02-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #41
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
One suggestion if not already stated......(a side related note in this discussion), do the following obviously when toilet isn't needed for a day. Usually this suffices once or twice a year:

That blue liquid from Thetford is a good product to maintain good health of the rubber seal around the flush valve in the bowl. Just empty the bowl with water off, close valve and pour liquid into bottom so it covers the valve. About an inch deep will do. As per instructions on the bottle, you will leave it sit there for a few hours, overnight works well if you have the time.

Then use unit as usual. If you leave the coach unused for a period of time, I'd just leave the stuff in the bowl and monitor it so it don't dry up. That seal is often forgotten about until the bowl don't hold water.

IMHO one contributing factor to the build up problem below the valve, is not enough water is used in a flush of #2 waste. Don't skimp on water for this. Fill the bowl half full by partially depressing pedal, and flush 'er good! Only downside is the small inconvenience of emptying the black tank more often.

Best regards,
W.D.

Tags
toilet