Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #1

Toilet cleaning

I have a used Jayco travel trailer and although it is in good shape ,i for the life of me cant get the old poop stains cleaned out of the throat of the toilet. Is there anything on the market that will clean this ? I need something thats not abrasive and will not harm the tank. thank you
donnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
GPW

Tried Vinegar ??? or Lemon juice ... ??? Or Metamucil ???
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #3

Donnary

Home Depot has a mold remover (can't remember the brand) that I used in my old Prowler for the same thing. I think it is in a green spray bottle with a red and black label. It has a clorine base so flush well after you let it set for awhile.

Jerry
Jerry1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #4

In this instance, one really wishes the previous owner had more fiber in their diet.
Nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohorse View Post
In this instance, one really wishes the previous owner had more fiber in their diet.
Hmmm. Is that the problem?
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've heard that regular Coca Cola or Alka Seltzer will clean toilet bowls that are stained. Pour it in/drop it in and let it set overnight.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your toillet is porcelean you can use a pumpice stick to scrub off stains. I wouldn't use pumice on plastic.

When I picked up my new motorhome, the tech that showed me around told me to make sure I ran water in the toilet before using it. Makes sense to me that a good amount of water would help prevent anything from sticking to the bowl.

I have an idea that might help extend the life of my toilet and black water system, but would like to get some opinions from those more experienced. I lived way back in the country where there was no zoning or home inspections and most of us made our own septic tanks out of 2 55 gallon drums. Because of the small capacity, we girls placed "damp" TP into a covered trash can instead of flushing it. I plan to use this plan in my new MH.

Also, I have a case of disposable bedpads leftover from a parent's nursing home
stay. Since a MH toilet is dry, I thought I would try lining the inside of the bowl with one of these 20" x 20" plastic backed absorbent pads prior to every #2 deposit. Then it will be easy to wrap up the contents and remove it to an outdoor trash container or deep hole in the ground. #1 will still be flushed.

Sorry to be indelicate, but I'm hoping to eliminate (pun intended) problems with the blackwater system. I figure you have to deal with poo someplace when you drive a
motorhome, why not at the beginning of the process?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
If your toillet is porcelean you can use a pumpice stick to scrub off stains. I wouldn't use pumice on plastic.

When I picked up my new motorhome, the tech that showed me around told me to make sure I ran water in the toilet before using it. Makes sense to me that a good amount of water would help prevent anything from sticking to the bowl.

I have an idea that might help extend the life of my toilet and black water system, but would like to get some opinions from those more experienced. I lived way back in the country where there was no zoning or home inspections and most of us made our own septic tanks out of 2 55 gallon drums. Because of the small capacity, we girls placed "damp" TP into a covered trash can instead of flushing it. I plan to use this plan in my new MH.

Also, I have a case of disposable bedpads leftover from a parent's nursing home
stay. Since a MH toilet is dry, I thought I would try lining the inside of the bowl with one of these 20" x 20" plastic backed absorbent pads prior to every #2 deposit. Then it will be easy to wrap up the contents and remove it to an outdoor trash container or deep hole in the ground. #1 will still be flushed.

Sorry to be indelicate, but I'm hoping to eliminate (pun intended) problems with the blackwater system. I figure you have to deal with poo someplace when you drive a
motorhome, why not at the beginning of the process?
Seriously????? A MH toilet uses a foot pedal, but you SHOULD have plenty of water in the bowl before you go as well as after. It should not be dry.

Your motorhome's toilet and blackwater tank are designed to handle human waste; just use plenty of water and a toilet paper like Scott 1000 Sheet or Angel Soft (they both dissolve nicely); let the black tank get at least 2/3 full before dumping and NEVER leave your black tank valve open when connected to a sewer hookup.

There is no reason why your black tank should not give years of service with no problems; throwing your fecal material in the trash somewhere is just not neighborly.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I removed my Sealand to clean and replace the seals, I used rubber roof cleaner on the white plastic ball cock. Removed 13 years of stains and looks brand new.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pour some bleach in and give it five minutes.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:32 AM   #11

These are all good ideas and i appreciate them ,but my problem is down in the throat of the toilet where i cant get bleach or anything else to set long enough.
donnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmmm Quit looking???

If you fill the bowl with a strong bleach solution and turn off the water supply and then flush the toilet the bleach will hit some of it for sure.

Watch and see if the bleach cleared any spots.

If it did then keep doing that until you are happy.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Hmmmm Quit looking???

Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #14

Plastic bowls get more stains then the porcelean bowls get and sometimes they are very hard to clean. I have had good luck with Dawn dish detergent and bleach mixed in water and that mixture sits on the stain. Water should be in any bowl that's in use. If the water wont stay there, the toilet valve seal is clogged or broken. You need to replace it.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet