Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #1

Toilet Paper

Does everyone use the 2 ply that is recommended or does it not matter. First year camping and I don't want to mess up the toilet already. Thanks.
Capt023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I think you'll find that most of us do not use the "RV TP" but anything which is "septic safe" instead. Some opinions differ and if you'll use our search feature you'll find a lot of reading material on this topic along with the "jar test" where you can take a jar of water... put a sheet of TP in it... shake it up... and see if it desolves quickly.

Good care and maintenance of your black tank is the real key. Don't dump without the tank being >1/2 full and then follow any of the many tips you can find here on the forum on how to keep the tank clean and smelling like roses... or at least not smelling badly.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

Having used probably all brands and kinds of TP in different RVs for many years (decades), I really don't believe it matters at all which one you use. The only problem I've ever had was with a '96 Bounder where the toilet line took a sharp bend about one foot below the toilet, and paper used to catch there sometimes. Still, any type of paper would catch.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #4

Do a simple test. Using a mayonnaise sized jar, fill 1/2 with water, put in a couple squares of tp, agitate ( shake) and the tp should beak down.
If it doesn't, try a different brand.
It's fun and interesting at the same time.
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #5

Don't put those "wipes" down your toilet. Had a problem with those last year (our first in our TT). We use the Geo method, and I thought I could use them, but turns out, they really don't break down AT ALL and when I cleansed the black tank at the end of the season, you wouldn't believe how many came flying out of the tank! And we thought everything was coming out of our tank every time we dumped. Ugh. I'm doing a test right now with a brand of wipes that claim they're "biodegradable." Yeah, sure. I've had one in a tub of water since Monday morning at 6AM and it hasn't even BEGUN to break down.

I'm in agreement though, with the TP. You can use any brand and don't have to use fancy and expensive RV paper. We buy the Sam's Club store brand and haven't had a problem with it breaking down. Most of the time when we dump you can't even see any paper at all.
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Use whatever paper you like, and also use PLENTY of water to flush. Make sure you run a few gallons of water into the tank after you dump, and never ever EVER leave the black tank dry (except during freezing weather).

This will keep your black tank healthy without worrying about chemicals, but if you like, google the GEO method. It can't hurt and might help.

IMHO, that is

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #7

Scott's toilet paper works the best.. It breaks down really good.
Brock6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock6 View Post
Scott's toilet paper works the best.. It breaks down really good.
Nice looking Mustang, by the way!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #9

I just make sure I have plenty of water in my black tank before I go dump. I usually flush for a couple minutes as soon as we get there to make sure we have water in the tank before the bathroom is used. This prevents the mountain of doom from forming right below the tank and helps with breaking down everything that goes down the toilet including tissue paper.

When hooked to city water, when we start packing up to go home, I go in and press the foot flush until the black tank fills up. I want a nearly full tank before dumping. Luckily, my tank monitor is right next to the bathroom door so I can hold the flush down and just check the tank level until the full light comes on.

If I am using my fresh water tank, I empty it using the same method prior to leaving and once I'm sure all the dishes and washing of anything is done.

Having the tank full prior to the trip to the dump station also helps agitate and break everything down. If I have sewer hookups, I try to do this a little earlier (maybe first thing the morning of departure) to give the extra water time to help breakdown everything. Making sure you flush with plenty of water seems to be the key. Usually my black tank is only 1/4 full for a 3-4 day weekend and maybe 1/4-1/2 full for a week stay.

Has worked for me and I can still use my Charmin without issue.
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudinator View Post
Don't put those "wipes" down your toilet. Had a problem with those last year (our first in our TT). We use the Geo method, and I thought I could use them, but turns out, they really don't break down AT ALL and when I cleansed the black tank at the end of the season, you wouldn't believe how many came flying out of the tank! And we thought everything was coming out of our tank every time we dumped. Ugh. I'm doing a test right now with a brand of wipes that claim they're "biodegradable." Yeah, sure. I've had one in a tub of water since Monday morning at 6AM and it hasn't even BEGUN to break down.

I'm in agreement though, with the TP. You can use any brand and don't have to use fancy and expensive RV paper. We buy the Sam's Club store brand and haven't had a problem with it breaking down. Most of the time when we dump you can't even see any paper at all.

Update!!! I've now had that supposed "biodegradable" wipe in a tub of water for an entire week. It is not showing ANY signs of breaking down. So NO WIPES!!!
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been RV'ing since 1957 (before most RV's had toilets in them). Have only used the "special TP" when it was given to us in the beginning pack with a new rig. Otherwise it's always been what ever we had in the house. Never had a problem, but then I never leave the valve open and make sure there's lots of liquid when flushing and dumping.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Holding down the flush lever on the commode seems as if it might take a loooong time . I would suggest a "Y" valve with an anti siphon fitting connected to a hose used for flushing the black tank. I normally dump the black tank and then fill it up to 2/3 using the black tank flush fitting and then dump again. Once I finish dumping the Grey water I unhook the flush hose and the sewer hose and use the flush hose to rinse the sewer hose.

Im just sayen..........................
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use Scotts1000 1 ply and have never had a problem. A 2 ply tissue may give you some desolving problems. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
Holding down the flush lever on the commode seems as if it might take a loooong time . I would suggest a "Y" valve with an anti siphon fitting connected to a hose used for flushing the black tank. I normally dump the black tank and then fill it up to 2/3 using the black tank flush fitting and then dump again. Once I finish dumping the Grey water I unhook the flush hose and the sewer hose and use the flush hose to rinse the sewer hose.

Im just sayen..........................
Ditto here. Just a word to the wise though.... Never.... I say NEVER, try to multi task when filling the black tank with fresh water via the San T Flush!
Don't ask me how I know but, if you forget it for just a few minutes, you can end up with a Robin Williams type of experience.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote