Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #1

Toilet Tissue ???

Is there really a difference in reg. cheap, thin tissue and RV tissue other than the weight ? I realize you would not want to use the heavier high grade paper, i read somewhere it does not stay in the black tank long enough to break down anyway. Not being cheap, just curious ????????????????

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #2

That's exactly the point... it's not in there long enough to break down so regular paper stays wadded up and clumpy and may clog your drain. And there is a big difference between bad rv/marine paper and good rv/marine paper.
I had to use regular septic safe toilet paper in a pinch and it did not drain well. Black tank would flow well and then suddenly stop and then start again with a big wad of toilet paper coming out. I thought for sure it would stay clocked at some point when the level in the black tank got lower. Even the second time we dumped after that, there were still clumps of the regular toilet paper coming out even though we had switch back to RV / marine grade paper, so I believe that long term use of a regular paper would definitely cause a problem.

As a side note, this is exactly why it is important to have a clear section or elbow on your drain hose. It is not pretty to look at, but very important to see!

Old 10-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #3

...and FWIW, if you ever find that you need to use regular paper, just use all the water you want so it will keep the paper in suspension better.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #4

Put a wad of whatever paper you plan to use is a large glass of water and see how fast it breaks down. Most good stuff will breakdown in a minute or so. If it does that, use it.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Differences between toilet tissues.
Some, like Charmin Quilted, take their own sweet time breaking down.
Others, like Scotts or Angel Soft, break down swiftly

Some like Scotts or Angle Soft, are fairly soft and comfy

Some including many that are more expensive, are good grades of sandpaper on your tender behind.

Google TP-Tests or search the forum and you will find plenty of tests, I'm currently using Scotts,, and use Angel soft when I'm needy and in a store that sells not Scotts. (Single Ply)
Old 10-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We've used Scotts 1000 for years in our RVs without a problem.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Cobra1 hit it right on. That is the test. I use the cheap stuff at the market and no problems yet. If you have a "WAD" stuck your using to much. Remember the bears.

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
That's exactly the point... it's not in there long enough to break down so regular paper stays wadded up and clumpy and may clog your drain. And there is a big difference between bad rv/marine paper and good rv/marine paper.

I had to use regular septic safe toilet paper in a pinch and it did not drain well. Black tank would flow well and then suddenly stop and then start again with a big wad of toilet paper coming out. I thought for sure it would stay clocked at some point when the level in the black tank got lower. Even the second time we dumped after that, there were still clumps of the regular toilet paper coming out even though we had switch back to RV / marine grade paper, so I believe that long term use of a regular paper would definitely cause a problem.

As a side note, this is exactly why it is important to have a clear section or elbow on your drain hose. It is not pretty to look at, but very important to see!

You sure it was the toilet paper that was causing the the stoppage?😊😉😱
Old 10-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
HOW TO: Test for RV Safe Toilet Paper
Old 10-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I was looking for that. Thanks palehorse89.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #11

Yep! Thanks for that test also !!!!!!

Jim
Old 10-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've used whatever we had in the stick house for years with never any problems, not even sensor problems. Once a year I might use the tank rinse setup but never regularly.
Over the last years we've bought almost nothing but Kirkland brand. Any tissue labeled as septic safe will work just fine. Be sure and DON'T use the wet wipes that they say are safe, even our local sewer dept. requests that we not use them in the stick house as they don't disintegrate and clog up the pumps.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Kuzzy Great point. You cant beat a great steak and tatoe' on the BBQ while outdoors.
Funny. I love it. It's good to laugh.

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
How quick breaking down the TP is is also dependent on your black tank design, whether you are boondocking or in a park and whether or not you keep your black tank drain open.

A lot of conventional wisdom says leave the Black tank valve closed and dump as needed...this makes sense in a lot of campers and RVs. Our Monaco tank is very well designed, with the outlet of the tank directly below the toilet, and with a good flush the TP is down the hose and does not get caught in the tank. Since I've seen this using a clear adapter, I don't worry too much about the TP. If I was boondocking a lot I'd be more worried. The only time I've had trouble was after a long stay in a park with very low water pressure....insufficient water caused a poop/paper mountain in the tank which took a half day of flushing to resolve. This is once in four years of full-timing. We've become used to using more water which solved the problem nicely.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote