Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #1

Tongue weight

I am trying to get an accurate tongue weight for my 2003 Keystone Sprinter 303BHS. Manufacturers specs say 780, but after loading, full tanks etc, I want to weigh it. I’ve seen a tongue weight scale for about $120, any suggestions on alternatives, I want accurate, but I can’t see spending the cash to only use once.

Thanks!
32FeetofFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #2

Just hit up the CAT scale at your local truck stop. $12 for the first weigh and $2 for each subsequent weigh. Some discourage or won't allow you to disconnect your trailer on the scale but my local truck stop has never batted an eye.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #3

MFG specs are DRY Weight based on the UVW of the trailer model...

Cat Scale.

Worth the few bucks to get all weights
Truck only
Truck/trailer with WDH
Truck/Trailer w/o WDH connected

Get your REAL weights 'camp ready'....Everybody/stuff/bags-backpacks/fully loaded trailer.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #4

Here is some information: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #5

One other option you may try if you do not have a CAT scale nearby is your local police department. Several in the metro Harrisburg, PA area have portable scales for DOT enforcement. Yours may be willing to throw a scale under your jack if you can fit in their facility lot or next door. Especially if tell them you are trying to stay safe and legal
Old 02-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Manufacturers use 10% of dry weight on their brochures but you really need 12% to prevent sway. They also figure dry weight before adding accessories that you might assume were included like AC, awnings, propane tanks, batteries etc. The actual empty weight of your trailer will be higher than the brochure weight. And since nobody camps in an empty trailer it will be far closer to it's GVWR, (gross vehicle weight rating), than it's unloaded weight. You can figure on tongue weight being 12 or 13% of that gross weight.

The specs show a gross weight of nearly 10,000 pounds so your realistic tongue weight will likely be well over 1000 pounds even if you pack light. A tongue weight scale seems like a good idea to me since how it tows is directly related to tongue weight. Even more important with rear kithens or toy haulers since the heavy weight is in the rear.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

X2 on the cat scale.

I have had the sherline. You get much more data for the $12 fee at the cat scale.

It's a hassle for me to get to a scale but the payback is i get trailer weight, tongue weight, and tow vehicle weight all in 30min. I go during an off-peak time (Fri afternoon) so I have plenty of "quality time" with the scale. Lol
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

Using the bathroom scale method as in the link above would be the easiest. You're not under any pressure to move on, its inexpensive, and can be done wherever and whenever you want. Without adding or removing anything tongue weight can be changed up or down just by moving things fore and aft and how much water is carried in the tank.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32FeetofFun View Post
I am trying to get an accurate tongue weight for my 2003 Keystone Sprinter 303BHS. Manufacturers specs say 780, but after loading, full tanks etc, I want to weigh it. I’ve seen a tongue weight scale for about $120, any suggestions on alternatives, I want accurate, but I can’t see spending the cash to only use once.

Thanks!
The info you're looking for is on page 21 in the reference below.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/5212...anual_2018.pdf
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue weight, weight