Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #1

tonneau covers/mpg

We just upgraded to a Keystone Bullet Premier 19 footer that I pull with an 09 gmc sierra 1/2 ton. I've pulled this trailer about 500 miles and have averaged 9 mpg so I am interested in ways to bump the mpg up a bit. I was at a rv dealership yesterday and overheard a conversation in wich a guy claimed he gained 2 mpg while towing by installing a tonneau cover. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with a tonneau cover?
Nospe811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
2mpg? I'm very skeptical of that.

If that were the case, all of the pick up manufacturers would install tonneau covers as standard equipment as winning the mpg game is paramount to all manufacturers.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
GPW

Didn't MythBusters debunk that myth ...???
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #4

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I put a cover on my F250 to protect my cargo and it did nothing for my MPG.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #5

Mythbusters had a segment on this, seems I remember no positive conclusion. I also remember reading that an auto club or university had tried to prove it would help and could not.
As to my own experience, I have never noted an increase in my 350/450 trucks mileage whether the sliding cover is open or closed. On 2 other trucks, I had fiberglass covers, and the weight of these would have negated any mileage gains.
Get one for security of items in the bed, not mileage...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #6

Actually the Mythbusters episode did indeed prove that fuel mileage improved slightly (albeit very slightly) with the tailgate UP rather than down. They also tested a tonneau cover, a mesh type tailgate and complete removal of the tailgate. The conclusion and numbers from their website:

• Tailgate down: 5.2 gallons/hr @ 55mph. 1.2 gallons/hr @ 25.
  • Tailgate up: 5.0 gallons/hr @ 55mph. No reading for 25mph given, but tailgate up was once again confirmed as more efficient.
  • Hardcover over pickup bed: 5.0 gallons/hr @ 55mph. 1.2 gallons/hr @25mph
  • Tailgate mesh: same as tailgate up and/or hardcover
  • Tailgate removed: about the same as tailgate up and hardcover (80 lb weight differential considered)
This was originally tested on Episode 43 and revisited in Season 4 Episode 64.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #7

I put a hard tonneau cover on for security (I have a quiet generator plus other camping things in there)......I hoped for some mpg increase..but I think the added weight lost more mileage than any improved aerodynamics compensated for....

The best way to improve mpg with any rig, is to drop speed. I think there is about 8% increase for dropping 5mph...that is in my car maual in print..and my guess would be the difference should be greater when you're pulling a big surface area like the front of a trailer...

I tow at 50-55 mph, but then I am retired...and for us, the drive is part of experience, and we find a lot of good paved roads off the interstate.
husk is offline   Reply With Quote