RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Reevesfamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 224
Took flex out of shower pan-carefully!

Love our new camper but now after several trips we've found a few items that we've repaired and upgraded. Most recent is the shower pan. Nice big shower but I am a big guy (285) and the pan flexed much more than I was comfortable with knowing how these units are made. My shower pan had only 4 small pieces of scrap wood holding up the middle of the pan, and one end of the pan was resting on the drain pipe so it flexed also when the pan flexed. So I have opened the small access hole, made it just a bit larger, and cut 8 pieces of 2x4 just the right size to span the space between the bottom of the pan between the plywood pan base and the floor. Slid them in and then sprayed Great Stuff sparingly around the bases of the supports. Seemed very solid but still a bit of flex around the drain area of the Pan because I couldn't get a support there because of how the pan is made. There is no plywood base under the drain area, it's how the pans are made. So I again sprayed Great Stuff under the pan, remembering that it expands big time, but putting enough down so it would expand at least to fill the space between the floor and the bottom of the pan when it cured. I've used this stuff a lot over the years so am pretty comfortable with how it works. Checked the pan today after 24 hours and it has cured perfectly bridging the gap in the critical areas where the flex was. Flex is gone, pan is solid and I am happy with it. After replacing the tub in our Trail Cruiser with a full shower a few years ago I knew I wouldn't be comfortable unless the plan was solid. I had mounted the pan for the Trail Cruiser directly on a solid 2x4 base that I screwed to the floor so there was no flex. If any of you out there haven't looked underneath your shower or tub to see what little support is there from the factory and how poorly these units are put together you may want to check it out. Flex in these pans and tubs will create a crack and leak quicker than you may imagine. Be very careful with the Great Stuff and remember that it expands to about 6 times it's volume or more when curing so don't put too much down there or it will lift your pan! Hope this helps someone avoid a shower or tub crack and subsequently a big repair job.
__________________

__________________
2017 Prime Time Tracer 3175RSD
2011 250SD Lariat Crew, 6.7L Deleted (aka The Beast)
2WD, 3:73 gear, Husky CenterLine, 50 nights per year.
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 04:59 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: High Point, NC
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevesfamily View Post
Love our new camper but now after several trips we've found a few items that we've repaired and upgraded. Most recent is the shower pan. Nice big shower but I am a big guy (285) and the pan flexed much more than I was comfortable with knowing how these units are made. My shower pan had only 4 small pieces of scrap wood holding up the middle of the pan, and one end of the pan was resting on the drain pipe so it flexed also when the pan flexed. So I have opened the small access hole, made it just a bit larger, and cut 8 pieces of 2x4 just the right size to span the space between the bottom of the pan between the plywood pan base and the floor. Slid them in and then sprayed Great Stuff sparingly around the bases of the supports. Seemed very solid but still a bit of flex around the drain area of the Pan because I couldn't get a support there because of how the pan is made. There is no plywood base under the drain area, it's how the pans are made. So I again sprayed Great Stuff under the pan, remembering that it expands big time, but putting enough down so it would expand at least to fill the space between the floor and the bottom of the pan when it cured. I've used this stuff a lot over the years so am pretty comfortable with how it works. Checked the pan today after 24 hours and it has cured perfectly bridging the gap in the critical areas where the flex was. Flex is gone, pan is solid and I am happy with it. After replacing the tub in our Trail Cruiser with a full shower a few years ago I knew I wouldn't be comfortable unless the plan was solid. I had mounted the pan for the Trail Cruiser directly on a solid 2x4 base that I screwed to the floor so there was no flex. If any of you out there haven't looked underneath your shower or tub to see what little support is there from the factory and how poorly these units are put together you may want to check it out. Flex in these pans and tubs will create a crack and leak quicker than you may imagine. Be very careful with the Great Stuff and remember that it expands to about 6 times it's volume or more when curing so don't put too much down there or it will lift your pan! Hope this helps someone avoid a shower or tub crack and subsequently a big repair job.
Thanks for this reminder! I need to this same project before camping season starts back up.
__________________

Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,577
My shower was supported poorly as well and the shower drain was cracked. I have plumbing, wiring and heating ducts under the shower, so I made the support pieces easily removable with a few screws. Working thru that small hole is like brain surgery.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 4,539
Good idea. Can you post a pic. How did you repair the thin fiberglass cutout? I think this is a very common problem with camping trailers. The 1st trailer I bought the shower base was really flimsy. I could really feel what felt like blocks of 2 x 4. The next two trailers were much much better.

Another problem - I used to run a gym. There was a scale and weight chart. The chart was by height then weight. A man 6' 4", big frame should weigh 195 lbs. A man, big frame 5' 8" should weigh 150 lbs.

I am striving for 165 lbs. It is not easy but still got to strive to keep the weight (fat) off.

Good luck

Now these are healthy weights and best to try better to maintain healthy weight.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Good idea. Can you post a pic. How did you repair the thin fiberglass cutout? I think this is a very common problem with camping trailers. The 1st trailer I bought the shower base was really flimsy. I could really feel what felt like blocks of 2 x 4.
I had the drain pipes cracked because they would take the weight when the shower pan flexed down. The pan never cracked and I doubt there is a good repair besides replacement.



lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Pricejh's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 662
We had a very similar issue in a sticks & bricks several years ago. The flexing cracked the drain pipe. After replacing the pipe I filled the void with Great Stuff NONEXPANDING. Foam. There are two types of GreatStuff. For this type application use nonexpanding foam. It will expand SLIGHTLY. Regular will expand 6 times.
__________________
John Price
2016 Denali 289RK w/a Hensley Arrow Hitch
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummings
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 293
I was very careful whenever I got in our shower, I wish I had seen your fix a few years ago.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 2,242
Good fix. Now, if I could only reach under there without dismantling half of the trailer .... but may give it a try from the basement of our 5er by hole sawing a few places then use the Great Stuff.
__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')w/disc brakes
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:39 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Pricejh's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Good fix. Now, if I could only reach under there without dismantling half of the trailer .... but may give it a try from the basement of our 5er by hole sawing a few places then use the Great Stuff.


Use the non expanding foam.
__________________

__________________
John Price
2016 Denali 289RK w/a Hensley Arrow Hitch
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummings
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shower



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dolly Steering; Pivot Pan, Steering Axle, or Fixed Pan? navybuff Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 8 10-29-2016 08:58 AM
Shower pan flex at wall wanderso MH-General Discussions & Problems 23 03-23-2012 11:21 PM
How to Load a Moose at 60 MPH....very carefully brad03ca iRV2.com General Discussion 15 02-12-2009 02:33 PM
How to load a Moose at 60 MPH? very carefully brad03ca iRV2.com General Discussion 1 01-23-2009 09:26 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.