RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #1

Tools to take RVing

In a couple of weeks we are taking our first trip from VT to the south. What are te necessary tools and spare parts to take with me.

Dutchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
as many tool as you can i have a roll away tool box bolted to the frame of my trailer (wheel removed from box) better to have to many tools then not have the one you need.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #3

Go to harbor freight and buy a tool kit.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #4

In addition to the normal array of hand tools (socket set, wrenches, screwdrivers etc) make sure to carry a good digital volt ohm meter, wire terminals, fuses, crimper, spare wire etc. Also a hand saw, ax, pruner for those pesky limbs that try to poke holes in your rig. A few tarps, ratchet straps and plenty of parachute cord. And sooo much more....
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
"Life is short, hit the road"
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #5

The tools required to change a blown tire on the trailer. This may include a breaker bar, socket, jack, etc. Not being able to change a tire could put you somewhere you don't want to be for an extended period of time. A tire pressure gauge might help to avoid the flat in the first place. As previously noted, a good multi tool kit with sockets, wrenches, and screwdrivers will have most of the stuff you need in an easily storable case. They go on sale about three times a year for half price.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #6

Check the screw heads on your cabinets and access panels and make sure you have the correct bit or screwdriver for it. A lot of tool kits do not have oversized sockets. Check your water heater drain plug and other large nuts such as a tow hitches and make sure you have the right sized sockets or wrenches. You may need 1/2" adapters for larger sockets. Adjustable/Crescent Wrenches large and small...
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #7

I typically keep a small toolbox with hand tools with me. Sockets and ratchets for common sizes, a few screw drivers, a few adjustable wrenches, channel locks, vice grips, and some electrical supplies like a multi meter, wire strippers, and various wire nuts and splices. I think I also happen to have some PEX fittings and tools from water related issues in the past.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, get at least the $30.00 kit from HF. While there pick up a V.O.M. too- I liked the green one for around 50 bucks but you could spend less if you want. Some spare bulbs unless you have led's, and maybe one of those small screw, nut, bolt, washer boxes. A small fuse kit, teflon and Rescue tape, a small roll of bailing wire, an electrical connector box with splices and butt connectors and a wire stripper/crimping tool. All at HF and pretty reasonable. All together this should cost you somewhere around $100.00, maybe less. Have fun and happy camping!
Old 11-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cell phone and charger, extra set of keys for all doors/locks/engines, Credit card, medications and insurance info. Pretty much everything else can be bought if you need them, where you need them, when you need them.

Good Luck, Have Fun, and don't overthink it.

PS: this is first trip advice. If you are like me you will accumulate enough to fill several tool boxes over the years.
1)water/plumbing
2)sockets/torque multiplier
3)electric 12 volt DC and 120 volt AC
4)drill/saw
5)misc- glues, zip ties, nuts and bolts
6)hand tools

Add road flares or reflectors and a flashlight to the mix.
Volunteers USFWS. 8000 hrs each, 25 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I will add*

A torque wrench and appropriate socket sizes to verify the torque on your trailer's lug nuts and to verify the torque on your hitch parts.

*Are we really this far into the replys without someone listing torque wrench?
Old 11-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
I will add*

A torque wrench and appropriate socket sizes to verify the torque on your trailer's lug nuts and to verify the torque on your hitch parts.

*Are we really this far into the replys without someone listing torque wrench?
No in the beginning someone mention the torque wrench. Thank you for all of you that took the time to responds.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Yes, get at least the $30.00 kit from HF. While there pick up a V.O.M. too- I liked the green one for around 50 bucks but you could spend less if you want. Some spare bulbs unless you have led's, and maybe one of those small screw, nut, bolt, washer boxes. A small fuse kit, teflon and Rescue tape, a small roll of bailing wire, an electrical connector box with splices and butt connectors and a wire stripper/crimping tool. All at HF and pretty reasonable. All together this should cost you somewhere around $100.00, maybe less. Have fun and happy camping!
What is a v.o.m and thank for the HF tip.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchguy View Post
What is a v.o.m and thank for the HF tip.
Volt Ohm Meter otherwise known as a multi-meter. I would add, just get the tools you are comfortable using, otherwise you will probably hire out the work anyway. I spent about $100 at Harbor Freight (sockets, ratchets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc.) and also bring along my drill and driver (with batteries and charger). Fuses are a must.
john221us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Zip ties in different sizes. A small can of WD-40. A wye connection so you can fill a bucket from the faucet without disconnecting the rig. Channel lock and vice grip pliers. Soldering iron and shrink tubing. Electrical, Duct and aluminum tape. JB Weld. Dental Picks and long curved surgical forceps. (more handy than you would think). Large sewing needles and a roll of waxed dental floss. (makes for very strong repairs in fabrics).

Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving